I'd pass on a QB this year......

NoBowles

16 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Its not because there are no slam dunks, its because the coach and GM are likely a year away from being gone. You bring in a QB this year you double your risk of him busting IMO. What have you seen out of Bowles to make you think he has any desire, or ability to develop a young QB? We are heading into year 4 of Bowles Mac and on our 3rd offense in 4 years, and the QBs they have drafted or gone after are Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty and Hackenberg. 

Firing the HC a year after drafting the FQB is what usually happens.  Happened when Peyton was drafted.  Same with Winston and Mariota.  Trubisky this year.  In fact, Almost happened to O’Brien this year.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Peteo said:

IMHO there are 6 QBs in this draft worth having.  Not taking one says we are going to try to win with what didn’t work this past season.  Seems crazy to me.

And the same thing they thought and did in 2016.

25 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Firing the HC a year after drafting the FQB is what usually happens.  Happened when Peyton was drafted.  Same with Winston and Mariota.  Trubisky this year.  In fact, Almost happened to O’Brien this year.

Manning had Mora as his HC for 4 Years before he was fired. Usually when a team takes a Qb very high, it’s because the team sucked the year before and was fired.

18 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

Pretty misleading thread title.

29 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

certainly not my intention, my apologies, perhaps I should have titled it I'd pass on attainable QB's this year?

So what's the plan? go into next year with hack and petty to force a regime change, many wanted that last year...

What if Rudolf or Falk fall to the second round?  would you really pass on a chance?

Smith or Bridgewater are not upgrades for the Jets,  resign McCown?

agree I am not thrilled with the idea of trading the future for any player before a regime change but someone has to play QB for the Jets next year...

23 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

So what's the plan? go into next year with hack and petty to force a regime change, many wanted that last year...

What if Rudolf or Falk fall to the second round?  would you really pass on a chance?

Smith or Bridgewater are not upgrades for the Jets,  resign McCown?

agree I am not thrilled with the idea of trading the future for any player before a regime change but someone has to play QB for the Jets next year...

Yeah, to be honest, my thoughts were not based on a plan, because the reality is if I were in charge I would have fired Bowles and Maccagnan and put in a new regime and hoped they would take the best QB prospect and develop them.

My thought is that these guys go very hard after Cousins, don't get him, and fall back on one of (Smith, Bridgewater, Keenum, Taylor or McCown) and they draft a 2nd round QB prospect while going after a CB or a pass rusher in round 1.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

I agree that Darnold and Rosen arent “can’t miss” prospects.  But so we’re Watson and Mahomes.  Same for Goff and Wentz.  In the fact, the last “can’t miss QB” was Andrew Luck and to be honest, what has he accomplished besides being injury prone in his career?

So you want to trade a hoard of our draft picks this yr and next, for 2 guys we knew we could have had for free , if we had played Christian hackenberg “ develop “ on the field during a “unofficial” tank yr lol

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So you want to trade a hoard of our draft picks this yr and next, for 2 guys we knew we could have had for free , if we had played Christian hackenberg “ develop “ on the field during a “unofficial” tank yr lol

I’m for having an organization (Owner/HC/GM) not just say they are committed to upgrading the QB position.  I want them to find who they think is the best QB in this draft, then go out there and get him.  Whatever it takes.  Two years after their trades, nobody cares what they gave up to get Goff or Wentz.  

Year four is long enough to solve the problem.  Either find a QB or fire everyone and bring someone in who will find our QB.

Yes, I would have rather gone 0-16 but our organization is too busy focusing on the now and informing even the near future.

The OP is silly.  You don't pass on a QB this year after passing last year. 

Mac deferred the QB to this year.  Maybe he liked this year's draft class and free agents better than last year's.  I agreed - I wanted to tank for Darnold - Whoops. 

Anyway, he's got himself in a good position with draft capital and cash and can save his career.   if he hits on the QB and some nice FA's, he can make executive of the year again.   

6 hours ago, dcJet said:

The OP is silly.  You don't pass on a QB this year after passing last year. 

Mac deferred the QB to this year.  Maybe he liked this year's draft class and free agents better than last year's.  I agreed - I wanted to tank for Darnold - Whoops. 

Anyway, he's got himself in a good position with draft capital and cash and can save his career.   if he hits on the QB and some nice FA's, he can make executive of the year again.   

Not only did we pass on drafting qb last year we took a pass to load up on two JAG Safeties and a WR who makes Devin Smith look good

On 1/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, NoBowles said:

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

I gotta say you make a lot of sense in this post. I agree with everything you said about Bowles and Macc and I really agree with your assessment on the whole Cousins thing. I feel Macc and Bowles are on borrowed time here and really think they will go the FA route for a QB because of that. I can see them wanting to "win now" and go all in for Cousins. When he turns them down they will go after what is left. I too think Bridgewater will be the guy they sign and who knows what will happen after that. I could see a huge mess brewing here and it will take YEARS to recover from if the above scenario plays out.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

I gotta say you make a lot of sense in this post. I agree with everything you said about Bowles and Macc and I really agree with your assessment on the whole Cousins thing. I feel Macc and Bowles are on borrowed time here and really think they will go the FA route for a QB because of that. I can see them wanting to "win now" and go all in for Cousins. When he turns them down they will go after what is left. I too think Bridgewater will be the guy they sign and who knows what will happen after that. I could see a huge mess brewing here and it will take YEARS to recover from if the above scenario plays out.

Bridgewater makes me nauseous.  He wasn’t that good BEFORE his leg almost fell off

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bridgewater makes me nauseous.  He wasn’t that good BEFORE his leg almost fell off

He was adequate but nothing spectacular. I don't want the guy but he wasn't as bad as what we have right now. Do I think they could win with him? No. As long as Todd Bowles is the HC I'm starting to think it wouldn't matter if Superman lined up under Center.

10 hours ago, Pcola said:

I’m for having an organization (Owner/HC/GM) not just say they are committed to upgrading the QB position.  I want them to find who they think is the best QB in this draft, then go out there and get him.  Whatever it takes.  Two years after their trades, nobody cares what they gave up to get Goff or Wentz.  

Year four is long enough to solve the problem.  Either find a QB or fire everyone and bring someone in who will find our QB.

Yes, I would have rather gone 0-16 but our organization is too busy focusing on the now and informing even the near future.

You do agree a qb needs a actual nfl offense to succeed ? The jets do not have a nfl offense. It is amazing what Morton was able to do with Josh McCown. It was as if we said “ ok here is a bad Oline, will give you 2 WR who are number 3s anywhere else, and the worst rbs. Go !” Lol. And we are to bring in a rookie qb with worst offense in nfl ?

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You do agree a qb needs a actual nfl offense to succeed ? The jets do not have a nfl offense. It is amazing what Morton was able to do with Josh McCown. It was as if we said “ ok here is a bad Oline, will give you 2 WR who are number 3s anywhere else, and the worst rbs. Go !” Lol. And we are to bring in a rookie qb with worst offense in nfl ?

Absolutely.  First, you don’t have to play the rookie right away.  Second, we do have the rest of our draft (several OT prospects available day two) and $100M+ in cap space to upgrade C and OG (Richberg, Norwell,) WR (Robinson, Watkins,) and RB (Mckinnon.)

Its been reported that we have hired or promoted all these offensive geniuses, we have plenty of assets to make our offense relevant again.

This is of course only if our defensive HC needs multiple high $$ free agents and the 10th consecutive defensive 1st rounder to make his defense average.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Absolutely.  First, you don’t have to play the rookie right away.  Second, we do have the rest of our draft (several OT prospects available day two) and $100M+ in cap space to upgrade C and OG (Richberg, Norwell,) WR (Robinson, Watkins,) and RB (Mckinnon.)

Its been reported that we have hired or promoted all these offensive geniuses, we have plenty of assets to make our offense relevant again.

This is of course only if our defensive HC needs multiple high $$ free agents and the 10th consecutive defensive 1st rounder to make his defense average.

I don’t have to even look up draft history to know, Jets a dead last in picking Online early in draft since mangold and Dbrick lol. We have few bad Oline contracts right now we can’t fix until 19, so we really can’t sign FA line guys on top of them. We can actually draft 1 or 2, from actual quality picks without first 3 rounds.. But Mac knows he is leaving the draft room with a bloody nose from Bowles if he doesn’t pick mostly D in Those quality rounds lol

53 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don’t have to even look up draft history to know, Jets a dead last in picking Online early in draft since mangold and Dbrick lol. We have few bad Oline contracts right now we can’t fix until 19, so we really can’t sign FA line guys on top of them. We can actually draft 1 or 2, from actual quality picks without first 3 rounds.. But Mac knows he is leaving the draft room with a bloody nose from Bowles if he doesn’t pick mostly D in Those quality rounds lol

Historically, the Jets draft Defense in the 1st and 3rd round and go offensive project in the second round.  Regardless of how we spend our picks, we have drafted very poorly outside of the top of the first round.

I would hope that Bowles is coming to the conclusion that we need to upgrade the offense tremendously in order to help his defense.  If we can improve our TOP it will mean a less gassed defense in the 2nd and 4th quarter.

If I had to guess what Bowles priority is it would be to take Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 6 and use one of the seconds on Pass rusher or CB (what ever we didn’t get at 6.)

Now that we have all the Denver assistant coaches from 10 years ago, Bowles can look back at how Denver built their offense back in 2008.  Undrafted RBs and OL.  Using the zone blocking scheme is what it is.  Scheme over one on one talent.  Problem is we don’t have a QB like a 25 yo Jay Cutler or the elite WRs they had.

I just hope we either figure it out or implode.  Picking 6th every year doesn’t do jack sh!t for the long term success of this team.  And as long as Bowles has job security, it will be more of the same crap that we’ve had the past two seasons.  Trying to win games with the worst offense in the league and average defense.

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Historically, the Jets draft Defense in the 1st and 3rd round and go offensive project in the second round.  Regardless of how we spend our picks, we have drafted very poorly outside of the top of the first round.

I would hope that Bowles is coming to the conclusion that we need to upgrade the offense tremendously in order to help his defense.  If we can improve our TOP it will mean a less gassed defense in the 2nd and 4th quarter.

If I had to guess what Bowles priority is it would be to take Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 6 and use one of the seconds on Pass rusher or CB (what ever we didn’t get at 6.)

Now that we have all the Denver assistant coaches from 10 years ago, Bowles can look back at how Denver built their offense back in 2008.  Undrafted RBs and OL.  Using the zone blocking scheme is what it is.  Scheme over one on one talent.  Problem is we don’t have a QB like a 25 yo Jay Cutler or the elite WRs they had.

I just hope we either figure it out or implode.  Picking 6th every year doesn’t do jack sh!t for the long term success of this team.  And as long as Bowles has job security, it will be more of the same crap that we’ve had the past two seasons.  Trying to win games with the worst offense in the league and average defense.

If Mac does not draft 3 offensive players with our top 4 picks he should be fired. We know Bowles will be pushing for D in first 3 rounds, mac should know better for once not to listen to the moron

Archived