I'd pass on a QB this year......

NoBowles

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with all of this. I can't see any way Cousins comes here, and I don't love any of this draft's QBs. But these two dopes are going into year four and the only investments they've made at the position are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown, so unfortunately, I think this is a case where fear does the work of reason and we end up trading half our draft to move up two slots and get a guy who turns out to be meh anyway.

Incidentally, this is one of the big reasons why passing on Watson last year was so dumb.

Jason La Canfora article on where he thinks the top free agent QBs will go:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/predicting-where-10-qbs-who-could-hit-the-market-this-offseason-will-be-in-2018/

Kirk Cousins:

Prediction: Transition tag with Redskins

The transition tag saves them potentially $6 million and, with these sides nowhere close on Cousins' fair market value, it allows another team to set that market for them. Sure, if the Skins can't match an offer sheet they get no compensation (as opposed to a likely third-round comp pick in 2019 should they merely let him hit the market), but that's almost beside the point now. If someone else structures a deal in the way Washington deems too rich, then the team can leave the situation on its terms. And maybe a trade comes from a tag. As for the interested teams, the Browns' previous front office would have been at the head of the list, but I don't see that now with John Dorsey at the helm (more on him next). The Broncos and Cardinals might make sense too, but the team I believe will make the most concerted effort to land Cousins is the Jets. They have the want and the ability and more cap space than you would ever need, and they won too many games to have a top QB fall to them in the draft.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agree with all of this. I can't see any way Cousins comes here, and I don't love any of this draft's QBs. But these two dopes are going into year four and the only investments they've made at the position are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown, so unfortunately, I think this is a case where fear does the work of reason and we end up trading half our draft to move up two slots and get a guy who turns out to be meh anyway.

Incidentally, this is one of the big reasons why passing on Watson last year was so dumb.

i don't see the jets trading up higher than #3, and that would only be if either darnold or rosen is there.  while i believe the jets are researching allen, i can't see them coming away thinking that he's so good they need to trade up for him.

odds are, the jets do not keep mccown, do not get cousins and don't go for someone like alex smith.  i see the jets pursuing someone like bridgewater, trying to get him on the cheap, and then drafting either rosen or darnold at 3, or mayfield at 6.  

bowles and mccagnan must know that their extensions are precarious, and that they're gone if they don't fix the qb position.  i fully expect them to draft a qb, and not be major players for cousins.  i can see mccagnan using the FA money to fill more positions on the OL, cb and perhaps pass rusher than throwing top money at cousins.

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Jason La Canfora article on where he thinks the top free agent QBs will go:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/predicting-where-10-qbs-who-could-hit-the-market-this-offseason-will-be-in-2018/

Kirk Cousins:

Prediction: Transition tag with Redskins

One sports writer gets it! $$$$$

I agree on passing on the first round guys. Get Cousins and Lauletta and it’ll be easy to remember that this draft’s early QBs offer a bunch of two year starters, fidgets with attitude, and guys that can’t hit the ocean. 

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't see the jets trading up higher than #3, and that would only be if either darnold or rosen is there.  while i believe the jets are researching allen, i can't see them coming away thinking that he's so good they need to trade up for him.

odds are, the jets do not keep mccown, do not get cousins and don't go for someone like alex smith.  i see the jets pursuing someone like bridgewater, trying to get him on the cheap, and then drafting either rosen or darnold at 3, or mayfield at 6.  

bowles and mccagnan must know that their extensions are precarious, and that they're gone if they don't fix the qb position.  i fully expect them to draft a qb, and not be major players for cousins.  i can see mccagnan using the FA money to fill more positions on the OL, cb and perhaps pass rusher than throwing top money at cousins.

If you think their extensions are precarious, drafting an unknown quantity, starting a Bridgewater type & going 6-10 is a death knell. I think Jets will be HUGE players for Kirk Cousins. Macc tried to trade for him twice, why wouldn't he try a 3rd time while Cousins & the Skins far apart & there is bad blood. Jets tell Kirk they are going free agency (Richburg or Jensen), draft (Nelson?) to shore up his protection, and a Stud RB to add to Powell & McGuire.

I don't see a Jets and Cousins marriage as far fetched at all.

45 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

If we had the 1st or 2nd pick in this years draft, would your opinion be the same ? What would you do with 1 or 2? 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If we had the 1st or 2nd pick in this years draft, would your opinion be the same ? What would you do with 1 or 2? 

I'd take one of Rosen or Darnold if and only if I believed Bowles was committed to developing them, and there was a realistic plan in place to do so.

the Jets are not going to sign Kirk Cousins. 

1st off, why would Cousins, a midwesterner, want to live in NJ, when he borderline doesn't love Virginia? 

2nd Christopher Johnson doesn't have the stones to make a run for him on year 1 of the babysitting job. the Jets are in keep the lights on mode

as for the QBs this year, people said the QBs last year were garbage. Watson and Mahomes are assets right now and the Jets passed on both of them. People want them to pass on this crop? with 5 in the first round? 

they probably will take a defender and it will be stupid but they need to take a QB. I don't even care which one.  None of us have as much time on this earth as we think we do and this endless obsession with trading down and drafting OL is loser Browns talk. 

I would do everything I could to have a deal in place with both IND and CLE to trade up to 3 or 4 contingent upon one or another of the QBs being available.  Of course I'd also talk to CLE about #1 in case they aren't drafting a QB there, and NYG at #2 for the same reason.  DEN is going to be doing the same thing so the question of whether Macc is willing to pay enough to outbid them is a good one but I'd certainly expect him to make the attempt.

It will be bothersome if Rosen and Darnold go 1-2 to the NYG but it will be a LOT more aggravating if they go 1-2 to anyone else who traded up.  If we hear Macc say "it was too expensive" again, I will blow snot-bubbles out of my eyes.  Even so, we should be ready and willing to go get Mayfield if he's our next guy.

Nightmare scenario?  Cousins signs somewhere out of the top-6 (say ARI).  DEN trades up to #1 and takes Darnold.  NYG take Rosen (or vice versa).  CLE takes Mayfield at 4.  Or maybe someone else trades up to 3 or 4 ahead of both DEN and NYJ and grabs Mayfield.  Those are the scenarios that would hurt the most.  I'm pretty much expecting it.

51 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is some honest to good depressing crap that I 100% agree with. Well said.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I'd take one of Rosen or Darnold if and only if I believed Bowles was committed to developing them, and there was a realistic plan in place to do so.

I agree. I think I would take 1 if we had 1st or 2nd pick.  But not paying the fortune to trade the farm for guys that could be another mark Sanchez. If we had all the other pieces in place maybe. But we have a million holes thanks to Mac/Bowles. You can’t stick a rookie qb on a team that has a weak line, and no legit weapons. So we can’t afford to trade draft picks. We should prob trade down. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

1st off, why would Cousins, a midwesterner, want to live in NJ, when he borderline doesn't love Virginia? 

2nd Christopher Johnson doesn't have the stones to make a run for him on year 1 of the babysitting job. the Jets are in keep the lights on mode

as for the QBs this year, people said the QBs last year were garbage. Watson and Mahomes are assets right now and the Jets passed on both of them. People want them to pass on this crop? with 5 in the first round? 

Deeeeeeeg even bit’s out of optimism this year.

- No one wants to live in the midwest, let alone voluntarily. 

- NFL keeps the lights on. Johnson’s got nothing to do but smile and nod, if so much.

- I was Watson fan #1 last year and say meh to these first round draft QBs. 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they probably will take a defender and it will be stupid but they need to take a QB. I don't even care which one.  None of us have as much time on this earth as we think we do and this endless obsession with trading down and drafting OL is loser Browns talk. 

I think the value picks in this draft are Falk and Rudolph.  If Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield were not in this draft, those two would be rated much higher.  I know we are over the 2nd round QB pick, but to pick up one of those in the 2nd round while getting a guaranteed star in round 1 would not be a bad approach for me.

I don’t understand why everyone thinks it’s a total pipe dream that Cousins signs here.

The Jets can pay him more than any other team except Cleveland and I’m not buying for a second that they would be interested when they have the #1 overall pick and an additional selection in the Top 5.

Macc just tried trading for Cousins 2 1/2 years ago and that was before he was a fulltime starter with 3 consecutive 4,000+ yard, 25+ TD seasons on his resume. 

I have no doubt that Cousins is Macc’s #1 target first and foremost, as he should be.

So, the Jets can offer the most money, showed strong interest in him in the past, now have a Shanahan disciple running the offense, have plenty of resources available to improve the team around him...and I’m supposed to believe that Cousins will have zero interest?

I’m not buying that at all.

In fact, I’ll go on record right now and say that if Cousins isn’t a Redskin in 6 weeks...he’ll be a Jet.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

With all due respect, what the fck is a slam dunk guy at QB? I want names.... Andrew Luck? One name in 10+ years? before that, who - Eli? That's your argument - we have to wait for one of Peyton's kids?? 

Garbage. 

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the value picks in this draft are Falk and Rudolph.  If Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield were not in this draft, those two would be rated much higher.  I know we are over the 2nd round QB pick, but to pick up one of those in the 2nd round while getting a guaranteed star in round 1 would not be a bad approach for me.

That would be the smart play. Try to Trade back from 6 to later in 1st. Pick up another 2nd and 3rd rounder. Then we have the extra picks to take a flier on a qb in 2nd. I think Mac wants to prove hackenberg can actually play lol. So I can see him going with McCown, hackenberg and falk or Rudolph at 3. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Macc just tried trading for Cousins 2 1/2 years ago and that was before he was a fulltime starter with 3 consecutive 4,000+ yard, 25+ TD seasons on his resume. 

I have no doubt that Cousins is Macc’s #1 target first and foremost, as he should be.

I don't see why people make so much out of him inquiring about Cousins in 2015. He asked about damn near everybody after Geno got popped.  Yeah it was before Cousins was a starter, it was also when he could have been had for a 2nd-4th round pick and we still didn't pull the trigger.  

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

With all due respect, what the fck is a slam dunk guy at QB? I want names.... Andrew Luck? One name in 10+ years? before that, who - Eli? That's your argument - we have to wait for one of Peyton's kids?? 

Garbage. 

Pretty much my definition of a slam dunk guy, yeah. And no, we don't have to wait for one of those guys, I just wouldn't draft anyone THIS year who is not a slam dunk guy, becasue I think we have a sh*t coach and GM who are likely going to be gone, so we will waste a year with a QB learning a system, most likely looking bad, and then a new regime coming in for that QB to learn a new system and already have the fan base and media turned against them. If we had a new coach, or a coach I believed had a clue of how to develop a QB and install an offense and could be here for a while, than I would say take the best QB available at 6 and hope for the best. I don't think we have that in place.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t understand why everyone thinks it’s a total pipe dream that Cousins signs here.

The Jets can pay him more than any other team except Cleveland and I’m not buying for a second that they would be interested when they have the #1 overall pick and an additional selection in the Top 5.

So, the Jets can offer the most money, showed strong interest in him in the past, now have a Shanahan disciple running the offense, have plenty of resources available to improve the team around him...and I’m supposed to believe that Cousins will have zero interest?

In fact, I’ll go on record right now and say that if Cousins isn’t a Redskin in 6 weeks...he’ll be a Jet.

the reason cousins won't be here is the same reason mccags won't trade up to get a qb.  he does not have the balls to make that kind of decision.  his FA contracts are short, he likes to be able to get out of them quickly if the guy sucks.  he's not going to want to commit the $$ that cousins will command long-term.  it's also why he hasn't traded up for qb so far.  if the owners told him he's got to get a qb or he's gone, then he will get a qb.  

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How much do you think the jets would pay for cousins, that other teams couldn’t ? I know we look at other teams cap but it is not hard in the nfl to clear cap with restructuring, cuts, trades. Denver has 29 mil cap available figured for 18. Counting Kalib at 12m with only 1 mil cap hit if they cut him. They can trade him, and replace him in the draft. They can worry about clearing more cap later, but they could easily clear enough cap as they needed for Cousins. If they really want him. The jets could pay cousins 50 mil if they really wanted him. But obviously we wouldn’t give him that.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see why people make so much out of him inquiring about Cousins in 2015. He asked about damn near everybody after Geno got popped.  Yeah it was before Cousins was a starter, it was also when he could have been had for a 2nd-4th round pick and we still didn't pull the trigger.  

exactly, he is afraid of doing anything that can be criticized.  he took a risk on hackenberg but other than that, he has taken the safest route in nearly every draft pick and signing.  

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This is some honest to good depressing crap that I 100% agree with. Well said.

Originally I wanted the Jets to get Darnold so that you'd be fat and happy.  Now I want him to go elsewhere, because the Jets will ruin him, and you'd probably go skinny from depression. 

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agree 100% with the bold, but I also believe that Mac will blink if the price in a bidding war starts getting too high. 

Rumor that the Colts might be looking to trade down from #3? That might be the Jets move, giving them a shot at the consolation prize of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield(Allen?) - or maybe even a choice of two or three of them, probably for not much more than a second round pick. 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Garbage. 

Agree. Wasn't that the same lame argument last year and the reason we missed on franchise QBs Watson and Mahomes? And wasn't part of the reasoning given that 2018 was going to be the banner year??

Lol, now we're making the argument to wait til 2019 bc there's no slam dunks. Seriously, we should probably just wait til 2021 when we can nab Trevor Lawrence. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like who?

I remember the reports coming out after Geno had his jaw busted about a potential Cousins trade, but I don’t remember any other names. Seemed like the Jets were willing to just roll with Fitz if they couldn’t land Kirk.

And we have no clue what the asking price was at the time. RG III was coming off a serious knee injury. For all we know, they could’ve very well demanded a 1st for Cousins.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Like who?

I remember the reports coming out after Geno had his jaw busted about a potential Cousins trade, but I don’t remember any other names. Seemed like the Jets were willing to just roll with Fitz if they couldn’t land Kirk.

And we have no clue what the asking price was at the time. RG III was coming off a serious knee injury. For all we know, they could’ve very well demanded a 1st for Cousins.

This

2 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Agree. Wasn't that the same lame argument last year and the reason we missed on franchise QBs Watson and Mahomes? And wasn't part of the reasoning given that 2018 was going to be the banner year??

Lol, now we're making the argument to wait til 2019 bc there's no slam dunks. Seriously, we should probably just wait til 2021 when we can nab Trevor Lawrence. 

Its not because there are no slam dunks, its because the coach and GM are likely a year away from being gone. You bring in a QB this year you double your risk of him busting IMO. What have you seen out of Bowles to make you think he has any desire, or ability to develop a young QB? We are heading into year 4 of Bowles Mac and on our 3rd offense in 4 years, and the QBs they have drafted or gone after are Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty and Hackenberg. 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the reason cousins won't be here is the same reason mccags won't trade up to get a qb.  he does not have the balls to make that kind of decision.  his FA contracts are short, he likes to be able to get out of them quickly if the guy sucks.  he's not going to want to commit the $$ that cousins will command long-term.  it's also why he hasn't traded up for qb so far.  if the owners told him he's got to get a qb or he's gone, then he will get a qb.  

This is just hating on Macc for the sake of hating on him.

You honestly think that Bowles and Macc are so completely and utterly inept that they don’t realize they absolutely HAVE to get their QB this offseason? They just came within a c*nt hair of being fired a month ago.

Hell, it’s likely that Johnson & Johnson made that abundantly clear when signing them to their extensions. Go get a legit, longterm QB or you’re out on your asses come January 2019.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree 100% with the bold, but I also believe that Mac will blink if the price in a bidding war starts getting too high. 

Rumor that the Colts might be looking to trade down from #3? That might be the Jets move, giving them a shot at the consolation prize of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield(Allen?) - or maybe even a choice of two or three of them, probably for not much more than a second round pick. 

mac likes shopping for expensive clothing but winds up getting sales.  he does not want to pay $$ or draft picks for a qb.  he is also afraid of making that fatal mistake by whiffing on a high 1st round qb.  but his back is against the wall now.  if he does not address qb long-term, he's gone.  and long-term is not alex smith or bridgewater.  and if he doesn't draft a qb in the first round and does not have cousins, he's gone.  luke falk in round 2 is not the answer to our qb woes.  and the johnsons are very influenced by the media who will rail mccags out of town if he passes on qbs and some of them look good.  a pretty good safety won't save him anymore.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Its not because there are no slam dunks, its because the coach and GM are likely a year away from being gone. You bring in a QB this year you double your risk of him busting IMO. What have you seen out of Bowles to make you think he has any desire, or ability to develop a young QB? We are heading into year 4 of Bowles Mac and on our 3rd offense in 4 years, and the QBs they have drafted or gone after are Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty and Hackenberg. 

it's simple, this gm will not take a chance unless his job depends on it.  and he has treated this job as if he has a decade to find a qb.

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This is dumb. The Jets should draft a QB every ******* year, maybe 2 of them, until they find one.  "Wait for next year's draft" is such a stupid, hopeless idea. There were people here stanning for the Jets to draft Solomon Thomas last year instead of Deshaun Watson. 

Every year? And so when we finally get a QB who is great in year 1, with a sh*t offense around him and a sh*t coaching staff? Seems like a great use of resources.....  It would be nice to see our shiny new QB draft picks sitting on the bench behind McCown again while Bowles eeks out 6 wins next year..... Its not wait till next years draft, its wait till we get a real coach in here and then get the QB.

Archived