I'd pass on a QB this year......

NoBowles

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

With 100 million to spend this team is going to have a better record next year then 5-11. You might not get a top 6 pick again for a while. So then the only move is to sign a Cousins, if not a Foles or Keenum and hope it works. Maybe Bridewater, but I guess that's no more risky then the 3rd rated QB in the draft which is all we are gona get.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

it's simple, this gm will not take a chance unless his job depends on it.  and he has treated this job as if he has a decade to find a qb.

Agree, its either that, or he is really tasked with getting Bowles what Bowles wants. Either way, we are screwed with these two clowns running the show.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Every year? And so when we finally get a QB who is great in year 1, with a sh*t offense around him and a sh*t coaching staff? Seems like a great use of resources.....  It would be nice to see our shiny new QB draft picks sitting on the bench behind McCown again while Bowles eeks out 6 wins next year..... Its not wait till next years draft, its wait till we get a real coach in here and then get the QB.

Yeah we should just continue to wait until everything magically falls into place at once. Good idea.

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

Yeah we should just continue to wait until everything magically falls into place at once. Good idea.

Or, we should keep putting new engines in sh*t ass cars and hoping that the new engine will magically make the sh*t car run well.

Oh, and while we are at it, we should hope that a pink unicorn comes flying in with a leprechaun on its back carrying all the fans gold.

How about we get in a coach and a GM who knows what the hell they are doing, and let them pick a QB, instead of the guys who have put their careers on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg?

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes, finally, now it does.  but he has not addressed the qb position with any priority since he's been here.  if woody had given him the mandate last year we'd have either watson or mahomes.

Guy’s spent like $36 million and two draft picks including a second on the position. Last year is last year the topic is this year when they’re most definitely going to get fired if there isn’t a QB. Woody makes the most money over the most years if this team nails the QB position so I doubt landing one is against his interests or wants. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Guy’s spent like $36 million and two draft picks including a second on the position. Last year is last year the topic is this year when they’re most definitely going to get fired if there isn’t a QB. 

i am agreeing with you.  the reason mccags will draft a qb this year is b/c his job now depends on it.  if the owner had made him do it last year we'd have watson or mahomes.  and if the owner did not make him get a qb this year, mccags would trade for alex smith and draft chubb or nelson as BAP who won't bust, then take falk with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round and a cb with their own pick.  but he can't do that now.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i am agreeing with you.  the reason mccags will draft a qb this year is b/c his job now depends on it.  if the owner had made him do it last year we'd have watson or mahomes.  and if the owner did not make him get a qb this year, mccags would trade for alex smith and draft chubb or nelson as BAP who won't bust, then take falk with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round and a cb with their own pick.  but he can't do that now.

We’re not really seeing eye to eye on this at all, I don’t see the need to add any ownership narrative to the GM guy narrative.

My POV is as simple as: GM guy was wack to pass on Watson, got another shot (that’s ownership, their motives up to speculation I guess), and now more than ever if he doesn’t land a QB he will be fired. Luckily he has a more money than everyone else and a FA he’s been targeting since getting the job - really hard to mess this up and he’ll never be a GM again if he does. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

We’re not really seeing eye to eye on this at all, I don’t see the need to add any ownership narrative to the GM guy narrative.

My POV is as simple as: GM guy was wack to pass on Watson, got another shot (that’s ownership, their motives up to speculation I guess), and now more than ever if he doesn’t land a QB he will be fired. Luckily he has a more money than everyone else and a FA he’s been targeting since getting the job. 

and i do see the need to add ownership narrative, b/c i think it factors into how mccags will draft.  with no pressure from ownership in 3 years, he has not taken a qb in the first round and though he inquired, didn't trade up for a qb.  he also was content to go with geno as his starter initially, then fitz and mccown.  there has been no sense of urgency to fill the qb position long-term.  he passed on mahomes and watson and took a safety (and just for kicks took another safety).  that alone shows how much time he thought he had to fix the qb position.  with no ownership intervention, we'd have alex smith next year.  

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Don't get me wrong, I want a legit QB in the worst way for the Jets, but I think this is a really bad year to get one. Other than Cousins, I have no interest in any of the FA QB's, and I see zero chance he comes here to play for a regime on a red hot seat, for an OC who will be the 3rd in 3 years.  He will use the Jets to draw up the price, but in the end he will not come here.

I like Rosen and Darnold as prospects, but I don't think either are slam dunk can't miss guys by any stretch.

I am somewhat intrigued by Mayfield, but I just don't see him as being a Bowles type guy at all.

I think we are going through the motions pretending there is hope that Mac/Bowles are the right guys to run this team, they are not. In all likelihood they will be gone in a year or two. I have seen nothing from Bowles to make me thing he has any interest or ability in developing a young QB, so likely any QB we get will be viewed as a colossal failure at this time next year, and soon the coaching staff will be gone.

As much as I hate to say it, the idiotic move to retain Bowles/Mac makes me very hesitant to get a QB this year considering the only one that would really work IMO is Cousins with no chance of him coming.

You are preaching to the Choir my friend. No shot these guys turn this around unless both have some epiphany realizing that their way is not the right way and change the way they do their jobs. Only then can we even start to discuss these guys being the right ones to lead us forward.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Agree with all of this. I can't see any way Cousins comes here, and I don't love any of this draft's QBs. But these two dopes are going into year four and the only investments they've made at the position are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown, so unfortunately, I think this is a case where fear does the work of reason and we end up trading half our draft to move up two slots and get a guy who turns out to be meh anyway.

Incidentally, this is one of the big reasons why passing on Watson last year was so dumb.

It's like revisionist history listening to people now claim Watson was a slam dunk last year.

38 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Pretty much my definition of a slam dunk guy, yeah. And no, we don't have to wait for one of those guys, I just wouldn't draft anyone THIS year who is not a slam dunk guy, becasue I think we have a sh*t coach and GM who are likely going to be gone, so we will waste a year with a QB learning a system, most likely looking bad, and then a new regime coming in for that QB to learn a new system and already have the fan base and media turned against them. If we had a new coach, or a coach I believed had a clue of how to develop a QB and install an offense and could be here for a while, than I would say take the best QB available at 6 and hope for the best. I don't think we have that in place.

So much can happen in a calendar year. There's a ton of scenarios that don't have Bowles in this same spot next year. We can't go fcking around with an opportunity to draft a franchise QB because Bowles is presently a pain in arse. That's beyond short sighted. 

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

and i do see the need to add ownership narrative, b/c i think it factors into how mccags will draft.  with no pressure from ownership in 3 years, he has not taken a qb in the first round and though he inquired, didn't trade up for a qb.  he also was content to go with geno as his starter initially, then fitz and mccown.  there has been no sense of urgency to fill the qb position long-term.  he passed on mahomes and watson and took a safety (and just for kicks took another safety).  that alone shows how much time he thought he had to fix the qb position.  with no ownership intervention, we'd have alex smith next year.  

What if he just didn’t like the QBs? By advanced metrics even the one QB they’ve missed on the past three drafts (outside the failed Wentz run) in Watson wasn’t a slam dunk prospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/qbase-2017

Obviously scouting could have made that difference but Watson split the scouts. He had the basics - lots of starts, lots of wins, lots of completed passes - but still drew plenty of doubt. They didn’t pass on sure shots objectively and that’s kind of a big deal as far as how these guys should be evaluated.

I see a FO/staff that has:

- done relatively well out of getting QB performance out of veteran QBs. This includes the franchise’s first top 10 passing offense since the early 2000s in 2015.

- Spread their eggs around with different QB skillsets and pedigrees, offering no pattern as to tastes (except, so far, bad taste in the draft and a tendency to FAs)

- Cleared the cap of all clutter, no minor feat rebuilding, in a year there’s a QB to buy that they want

If they miss on Cousins they’re toast so I’ll know just before baseball season. That said, they’ve done alot to make me think they are going all in on Cousins and will land him. I don’t think these guys have any serious interest in Smith - the interest there has been even more speculative than the interest in Cousins. 

48 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This is dumb. The Jets should draft a QB every ******* year, maybe 2 of them, until they find one.  "Wait for next year's draft" is such a stupid, hopeless idea. There were people here stanning for the Jets to draft Solomon Thomas last year instead of Deshaun Watson. 

Agreed.  In every round of this draft, there will end up being at least one QB worth taking. 

Maybe we don't get a franchise guy out of this draft, but adding a new arm is a must.  Especially with Bryce Petty all but done here.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Meh, you dont pass on talent at the most important position in all of sports when you're a team that hasnt had a QB in 45+ years because you're afraid you're coaching staff is going to turn over in a year or 2.  How many QB's actually get to play for the same Head Coach their entire career anyway?

That said, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they punted on a QB again this year only to bring back McCown and draft another mid round development project. 

19 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It's like revisionist history listening to people now claim Watson was a slam dunk last year.

JiF circa April 2017 - "If Deshaun Watson is still on the board, you run to the podium with his name in hand and you dont even think twice about it".

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Like who?

I remember the reports coming out after Geno had his jaw busted about a potential Cousins trade, but I don’t remember any other names. Seemed like the Jets were willing to just roll with Fitz if they couldn’t land Kirk.

And we have no clue what the asking price was at the time. RG III was coming off a serious knee injury. For all we know, they could’ve very well demanded a 1st for Cousins.

The report about them calling for Cousins came after Cousins was starter and ALWAYS came as part of a statement that they called around for QBs. 

48-La4Vw_normal.jpgIan Rapoport
#Jets did their due diligence & made plenty of calls, including to the #Redskins, who wouldn’t talk about trading Cousins. Now we know why.

Note the made plenty of calls.  Most of the stuff you can find now is more recent because of the Fitzpatrick situation.  They looked at AJ McCarron according to some scout.

David WyattVerified account @DavidWyattNFL

Trading Sheldon Richardson to the #Bengals with AJ McCarron coming back in a certain package to the #Jets has some legs to it. #Jetup #NYJ

1. Tweet unavailable

Francessa said Glennon

A couple of days ago WFAN radio host Mike Franseca said the "Jets were one of the teams" that called the Buccaneers to inquire about trading for their backup quarterback Mike Glennon. This, of course, makes sense because the entire world knows the Jets have a big fat question mark at quarterback right now, but are they really interested in Glennon? 

Confirmed by Tampa beat writer Rick Stroud

Stroud reports that the Jets have been one of the clubs to inquire about Glennon, given their inability to come to terms with Ryan Fitzpatrick, their starter last season.

According to Manish, last year it was Tyrod Taylor

Jets are keeping a close eye on Tyrod Taylor situation with Bills
Manish Mehta
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, March 6, 2017, 10:35 

There were plenty more, but just know that inquiring about a guy does not indicate some great love for the player.  They said the same about him trading up for Wentz last year. Then when Goff came around in 2017 it was "Wentz or Goff."  Like Bradway pounding the table for Wilson, I don't give a **** what good players they liked.  If they liked them so much they would have pulled the trigger. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Agree with all of this. I can't see any way Cousins comes here, and I don't love any of this draft's QBs. But these two dopes are going into year four and the only investments they've made at the position are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown, so unfortunately, I think this is a case where fear does the work of reason and we end up trading half our draft to move up two slots and get a guy who turns out to be meh anyway.

Incidentally, this is one of the big reasons why passing on Watson last year was so dumb.

Watson did just tear his ACL though year one... and he wasn't a slam dunk prospect by any means.  Usually, the 'runners' like Watson, who admittedly did prove in his limited time as an NFL starter to be capable of throwing well, don't last very long.  I'll be curious to see how quick he is after his recovery, what his confidence level is in his mobility and whether any of that affects how defenses play him going forward.  

I'm no expert on the draft or any of these quarterbacks, but it looks like there are five quarterbacks being spoken about as first rounders.  

Am I confident in this regime to choose one?  No, I can't say that I am. 

But this does look like the year the Jets should seriously consider drafting a quarterback.  Our draft position in the first, our two selections in the second as possible trade bait and the number of theoretical first-round quarterback prospects all point towards this year being one of the few true opportunities for the Jets to land a franchise quarterback in the first round.

I won't judge them for taking a quarterback.  I will judge them on how that quarterback performs.  

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I'd take one of Rosen or Darnold if and only if I believed Bowles was committed to developing them, and there was a realistic plan in place to do so.

Key query; other than Chad Pennington which QB have Jets truly developed in the last quarter century?

Archived