Josh Allen Did Very Well

Grandy

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Meh. As I’ve said time and time again nothing Cousins signs will look ridiculous once Winston, Mariota, Wentz, and Goff get their inevitable second contracts. 

Anyone in the $40 range for cap space has to fit Cousins, roster holes (average turnover is 20% with an expensive FA crop), and their draft into that. 

Maccagnan has not shown the stomach to make an off the charts offer, not that I think that he should. Cousins will ultimately get offers all around the same amount of money, and he'll choose the best situation from there. Teams like the Jets and Browns may offer a little more in an effort to entice him, but neither will be getting crazy. And then Cousins will go where he has the best chance to win: 

"Winning is everything, especially at this stage of my career," [Cousins] said. "It's not about the money so much. It's about winning. I want to win. 

"I truly haven't chosen where I wanted to play, straight up, since the winter of 2007. I was a senior in high school and chose to play at Michigan State. That opportunity to choose is certainly something that I may only get once in my career, and want to certainly take advantage, be very thorough, and do it right." 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Top garaunteed money offer, front loaded over 2-3 years, probably top total $$ offer as well just to sweeten the offer.

I think they have a shot, Mac will take his best crack. But I think it will either come down to where Cousins wants to play as another team could match and offer more years ....or Washington could transition and match 

i think he would actually have to want to be a Jet or they drastically overpay. Neither sound like a slam dunk 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Maccagnan has not shown the stomach to make an off the charts offer

Revis and Wilkerson, relatively speaking Fitzgerald in 2016. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Cousins will go where he has the best chance to win: 

The team with top 3 money to spend in 2018,  most from 2018-2020, and three top 50 picks in this draft can do that fast. This is the same sport where the Eagles, Jaguars, and Rams are viewed as long term contenders after a decade of top ten picks. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Revis and Wilkerson, relatively speaking Fitzgerald in 2016. 

Apples meet oranges. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The team with top 3 money to spend in 2018,  most from 2018-2020, and three top 50 picks in this draft can do that fast. This is the same sport where the Eagles, Jaguars, and Rams are viewed as long term contenders after a decade of top ten picks. 

Cousins has to be convinced that Mac/Bowles are the management team that can create a winner. The Browns have more money and much better picks, the Vikes are built to get to the Super Bowl right now. And Washington will more than likely slap him with the transition tag anyway, set to match any offer. 

Again, not saying it can't get done, but Mac has a huge job ahead of him to get it done, and I -frankly- doubt his ability to do so. The Eagles and Rams are contenders because they traded up to #1 & #2 to draft QBs in a year when Maccagnan was allegedly interested in doing the same - but couldn't get it done. 

16 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think they have a shot, Mac will take his best crack. But I think it will either come down to where Cousins wants to play as another team could match and offer more years ....or Washington could transition and match 

i think he would actually have to want to be a Jet or they drastically overpay. Neither sound like a slam dunk 

I think it’s 99.9999999% money, he’s already stated support for Richard Sherman’s statement on players getting garaunteedd money. Pretend as you guys want, money is why people work and it’s not hard to live a highest quality life in this area. 

The key with the transaction tag is Washington has to match. There’s a number and the Jets can beat it. 

I think it’s 99.9999999% money, he’s already stated support for Richard Sherman’s statement on players getting garaunteedd money. Pretend as you guys want, money is why people work and it’s not hard to live a highest quality life in this area. 

So you do think the jets should pay Kirk cousins whatever he demands ? Or let’s say 5 mil a yr more, 20 mil in guarantees more than the next best offer ? No matter what the next best offer is ? 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Apples meet oranges. 

Cousins has to be convinced that Mac/Bowles are the management team that can create a winner. The Browns have more money and much better picks, the Vikes are built to get to the Super Bowl right now. And Washington will more than likely slap him with the transition tag anyway, set to match any offer. 

Again, not saying it can't get done, but Mac has a huge job ahead of him to get it done, and I -frankly- doubt his ability to do so. The Eagles and Rams are contenders because they traded up to #1 & #2 to draft QBs in a year when Maccagnan was allegedly interested in doing the same - but couldn't get it done. 

This.

He's gonna get paid regardless, and that money will be taxed less and go farther pretty much anywhere else in the country. 

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The key with the transaction tag is Washington has to match. There’s a number and the Jets can beat it. 

I agree guaranteed money is the #1 but again, any of these other teams can match the guarteeed money over 4,5,6 or whatever years. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Cousins has to be convinced that Mac/Bowles are the management team that can create a winner.

A brand new QB, still lots of money, and all their draft picks is a clear path to doing so. No different than how the wind blew for the Rams, Eagles, and Jaguars this year. 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

A brand new QB, still lots of money, and all their draft picks is a clear path to doing so. No different than how the wind blew for the Rams, Eagles, and Jaguars this year. 

Oh, it's that easy, eh?

Think you might be forgetting a few key factors named Macc and Bowles.  

11 minutes ago, slats said:

He's gonna get paid regardless, and that money will be taxed less and go farther pretty much anywhere else in the country. 

Will it? ‘Cause it’s he’s starting a family:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

If your mentality is that he will get paid anywhere so take less, why would he care about taxes? It’s not some extraordinary struggle to live in the NY or even NJ with millions of dollars, and he best sets the table for his next contract as well as any goals the player’s union will have. 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, it's that easy, eh?

Uh, yes. Eagles got Wentz. Rams got Goff. Jaguars landed their first impact offensive player since Fred Taylor after a decade of busts and mediocre top ten picks. All of a sudden their terrible drafting before those guys are now super awesome special and those teams are all the latest and greatest. NFL fans will blow with the wind, as they always have and always will. 

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Will it? ‘Cause it’s he’s starting a family:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

If your mentality is that he will get paid anywhere so take less, why would he care about taxes? It’s not some extraordinary struggle to live in the NY or even NJ with millions of dollars, and he best sets the table for his next contract as well as any goals the player’s union will have. 

No, I'm not suggesting he'll take less, you're suggesting he'll take less to play for the Jets (after taxes and cost of living), or that the Jets should/will pay significantly more. NJ state taxes, that now have a $10k write off cap under the country's new tax plan, will run close to $3M/year at the numbers he'll be looking at. Not insignificant, especially when the cost of living in NYC is more than 50% more expensive than Minneapolis. 

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=United+States&city1=Minneapolis%2C+MN&city2=New+York%2C+NY&tracking=getDispatchComparison

With regard to Minnesota, (who has 56M available), it is worth noting that both of their starting guards from this year are now free agents. Additionally, their DT Tom Johnson is a free agent. So is RB Jerrick McKinnon.

More importantly, in 2019 (minny currently has 62M free), Stefon Diggs is a FA, so are Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, and Danielle Hunter. If Cousins is taking up 30+ mil, that leaves about 32 mil to sign these 4 key contributers. Good Luck!! Diggs himself will earn ~14+M.

Just now, slats said:

No, I'm not suggesting he'll take less, you're suggesting he'll take less to play for the Jets (after taxes and cost of living), or that the Jets should/will pay significantly more. NJ state taxes, that now have a $10k write off cap under the country's new tax plan, will run close to $3M/year at the numbers he'll be looking at. Not insignificant, especially when the cost of living in NYC is more than 50% more expensive than Minneapolis. 

Oh Minnesota’s awesome, I believe the Vikings are legit competitor for Cousins. The most legit competitor even! That said, yes I do believe the Jets can and should pay more. 

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Seriously, only a moron would not get that was a rhetorical question. I was leading the horse to water, that it seemed like a pretty important metric. You're better than that Gato. 

Is it green because it is important? Having seen green I can confirm I read all about it and it is important.

14 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

With regard to Minnesota, (who has 56M available), it is worth noting that both of their starting guards from this year are now free agents. Additionally, their DT Tom Johnson is a free agent. So is RB Jerrick McKinnon.

More importantly, in 2019 (minny currently has 62M free), Stefon Diggs is a FA, so are Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, and Danielle Hunter. If Cousins is taking up 30+ mil, that leaves about 32 mil to sign these 4 key contributers. Good Luck!! Diggs himself will earn ~14+M.

Did not know this but yeah - this is a pretty big deal. Jets should sign one of Hunter or Barr next year, those guys are good. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'd rather listen to the guy who has a PHD in Football Outsiders on JN. 

Didn’t you earn it last night when you found the website and saw the green glow of QBR? Plus an ESPN one too! Their QBR is different (not green?) you mentioned! 

Archived