Josh Allen Did Very Well

Grandy

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The Broncos have been to the Super Bowl eight times since the Jets last played in one, winning three. Their current GM won a Super Bowl essentially by acquiring a veteran QB. Denver will be able to put together a competitive contract should Cousins spring free as an untagged FA, and have a lot more to offer as a proven winner. 

Biggest obstacle is a tag. Washington slaps him with the transition, it'll be because they plan to do everything they can do to match. Cleveland may have money, but they're one of the few destinations in the NFL less attractive than the Jets. 

Should the Vikings decide that Cousins is an upgrade over their stable of free agents, they offer a team built to win now, that plays in a dome, and have $53M in cap space. 

Not to mention that the next time Mike Maccagnan wins a bidding war for a prime free agent, it will be his first. 

There are a number of obstacles. 

Your points about Denver's status and Maccagnan are irrelevant if Washington does indeed slap the transition tag on Cousins, as you said they would.

1. If Washington tags Cousins with a transition tag, they are saying that we will match an offer to a point because if they were truly able and willing to match any offer that was thrown out at them, why tag him in the first place? Why not just sign him?

2. Denver has 23m in cap space. You said yourself that the transition tag is 28m. So unless Denver makes some moves to clear some space, they are stuck, becuase Washington can easily match any offer put to the table. The Jets are different because the Jets have more cap space than Washington does. So the Jets can essentially price out the Redskins.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree that Denver is an obstacle.  Say what you want about the stable of QBs he has put together, but I would think Elway could make a pretty nice pitch to a potential FA QB.  They are also rumored to be shopping Aqib Talib to free up cap space, I have also heard reports that they could cut Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders to make a run at cousins.

If we are going to miss out on him - Denver is the place I want to see him go.  Take them out of the discussion for a Top 5 QB.

Just wait til Robby Anderson and Ardarius Stewart get on the phone tho

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Except if they do that, you take the risk of having to pay a 35 year old more money than as a 30 year old

What? No dude, you offer more money in 19, 20, and so on. As we know, Cousins is the poster boy for guaranteed money... Either team could offer just as much as the Jets over the term of the 4-5 year contract.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Washington has $52M in cap space before making any moves: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Yep, and the Jets have in the area of $105 after moves.  If the Skins cough up $40M in front money that means the Skins would have paid Cousins $72+M over the last 3 years, and have a QB who clearly doesn't want to be there, and who they obliviously didn't want to give a long term big dollar contract to. 

I suppose anything could happen, but that's a real long shot

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

What? No dude, you offer more money in 19, 20, and so on. As we know, Cousins is the poster boy for guaranteed money... Either team could offer just as much as the Jets over the term of the 4-5 year contract.

Technically yes, but the way it's structured would mean that as Cousins gets older, he's getting more money per year. It's a backloaded contract. ANd those are really dangerous.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. If Washington tags Cousins with a transition tag, they are saying that we will match an offer to a point because if they were truly able and willing to match any offer that was thrown out at them, why tag him in the first place? Why not just sign him?

Because Cousins has felt disrespected by them and doesn't want to sit down with them to work out a long-term deal. But they can slap a transition tag on him, let some other team work out the parameters with him, and have plenty of money to match. 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Yep, and the Jets have in the area of $105 after moves.  If the Skins cough up $40M in front money that means the Skins would have paid Cousins $72+M over the last 3 years, and have a QB who clearly doesn't want to be there, and who they obliviously didn't want to give a long term big dollar contract to. 

I suppose anything could happen, but that's a real long shot

Strongly disagree. I actually think it's the most likely scenario. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Technically yes, but the way it's structured would mean that as Cousins gets older, he's getting more money per year. It's a backloaded contract. ANd those are really dangerous.

No, those are the least dangerous. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If you write up a deal that pays most of the money on the back end, and the player doesn't live up to the deal, you get to cut him without paying that back-loaded money. 

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Trivial. Because the Jets can offer 8MM more in 2018 doesn't mean either team couldnt spread that out over 4-5 year. Essentially 2MM more a year. The bottom line is either can offer more guaranteed money without blinking an eye. Cousins wouldn't care what's  front loaded, hed care what's guaranteed 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Trivial. Because the Jets can offer 8MM more in 2018 doesn't mean either team could spread that out over 4-5 year. Essentially 2MM more a year. The bottom line is either can offer more guaranteed money without blinking an eye. Cousins wouldn't care what's  front loaded, hed care what's guaranteed 

Jets can offer guaranteed money too. that point seems meaningless

Because Cousins has felt disrespected by them and doesn't want to sit down with them to work out a long-term deal. 

No, those are the least dangerous. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If you write up a deal that pays most of the money on the back end, and the player doesn't live up to the deal, you get to cut him without paying that back-loaded money. 

So what you're saying is that as long as another team actually does the negotiating, he doesn't care? That seems like bullsh*t to me.

Hess Station just said that they were going to have to put in guaranteed money, which I believe does count against the salary cap

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So what you're saying is that as long as another team actually does the negotiating, he doesn't care? That seems like bullsh*t to me.

Hess Station just said that they were going to have to put in guaranteed money, which I believe does count against the salary cap

Nope, I'm saying he wouldn't have a choice if he wanted to play in the NFL. 

The Jets absolutely have the advantage when it comes to the financials over a team like Denver.

They can offer $70+ million guaranteed and front load the sh*t out of the contract.

If your Cousins, what would you rather do? Sign a contract with the Jets where you can make around $100 million in the first 3 years of the deal when you’re virtually guaranteed to be on the roster...or go to Denver where the deal is bound to be more backloaded and there’s no guarantee that you even see a huge chunk of the cash?

Just now, Untouchable said:

The Jets absolutely have the advantage when it comes to the financials over a team like Denver.

They can offer $70+ million guaranteed and front load the sh*t out of the contract.

If your Cousins, what would you rather do? Sign a contract with the Jets where you can make around $100 million in the first 3 years of the deal when you’re virtually guaranteed to be on the roster...or go to Denver where the deal is bound to be more backloaded and there’s no guarantee that you even see a huge chunk of the cash?

If Cousins is untagged, he can say that Denver gives him a better chance to win and take the lesser offer. Not likely, but possible.

If Cousins is transition tagged, then the Jets have the best chance because that is taken out of the equation.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Not to mention that the Jets appear to be designing their offense after Shanahan's, which is the offense that Cousins has said he prefers.  

If Cousins is untagged, he can say that Denver gives him a better chance to win and take the lesser offer. Not likely, but possible.

If Cousins is transition tagged, then the Jets have the best chance because that is taken out of the equation.

Possible, but VERY unlikely IMO.

People make way too much out of this “play for a winner” stuff.

Cousins is going on 30 years old. This is his one chance for a huge, longterm deal. Yes, I know he’s made $40+ million in Washington over the last couple of years, but the point remains.

And I’m not buying this crap about the Broncos being in soooo much better shape than the Jets moving forward. That team looks like they turned ancient overnight. The defense isn’t what it was even just a year ago, the OL has deteriorated and both Thomas and Sanders are in their 30’s. Not to mention the Broncos would have to get rid of guys like Talib and Thomas/Sanders just to make room for Cousins, further weakening those units.

I think the Jets are in a helluva lot better shape to land Cousins than a lot of people realize.

14 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Maybe. Only if cousins ends up staying in wash and doesn’t go to den

Allen looked good at the senior bowl, is going to murder the combine and is as close to it gets as a hometown hero in Denver.  He’s either going first to the Browns or falling to Denver at 5

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Allen looked good at the senior bowl, is going to murder the combine and is as close to it gets as a hometown hero in Denver.  He’s either going first to the Browns or falling to Denver at 5

Pretty much 

Elway’s track record drafting QB’s suggests that he prefers big, mobile, strong armed QB’s similar to himself.

Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch...

I’m not buying for a second that they have some huge interest in a kid like Mayfield. I’m still not even sold on Mayfield going in the Top 10.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Pretty much 

Elway’s track record drafting QB’s suggests that he prefers big, mobile, strong armed QB’s similar to himself.

I’m not buying for a second that they have some huge interest in a kid like Mayfield. I’m still not even sold on Mayfield going in the Top 10.

I mean Elway was the only GM who went to Josh Allen's ball game

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty much 

Is Elway smart enough as a GM to think that maybe he should open his eyes to QB's not similar to himself?  We'll see.

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Broncos have been to the Super Bowl eight times since the Jets last played in one, winning three. Their current GM won a Super Bowl essentially by acquiring a veteran QB. Denver will be able to put together a competitive contract should Cousins spring free as an untagged FA, and have a lot more to offer as a proven winner. 

I doubt this matters to Cousins at all.  The reality is they Broncos are a 5 win team with an aging roster and limited cap space.  

If Cousins wanted to be a part of a tradition rich program with past glory then he'd stay with the Redskins.  They've been to 5 SB's winning 3 of their own.

I'm pretty sure the 4 factors he's taking into consideration are:

• How much money
  • Will my wife like it there
  • What ammunition do they have to improve the team
  • What coaches will I be working with

These are all things the Jets pass with flying colors.

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So if Denver signs cousins, the clear favorite to do so if he leaves wash, they also may take Allen ? Lol

46 minutes ago, Pac said:

I doubt this matters to Cousins at all.  The reality is they Broncos are a 5 win team with an aging roster and limited cap space.  

If Cousins wanted to be a part of a tradition rich program with past glory then he'd stay with the Redskins.  They've been to 5 SB's winning 3 of their own.

I'm pretty sure the 4 factors he's taking into consideration are:

• How much money
  • Will my wife like it there
  • What ammunition do they have to improve the team
  • What coaches will I be working with

These are all things the Jets pass with flying colors.

Flying colors? Okie-dokie, Homey McHomerface. What happens if/when Minnesota decides to get involved? 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Flying colors? Okie-dokie, Homey McHomerface. What happens if/when Minnesota decides to get involved? 

What don't they pass Curtis Curmudgeon?

At this point Minnesota is a dark horse but I recall reading they probably couldn't make it work with their cap situation.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

What don't they pass Curtis Curmudgeon?

At this point Minnesota is a dark horse but I recall reading they probably couldn't make it work with their cap situation.

Washington and Minnesota each have around $52-53M in cap space right now. Washington can comfortably place any tag they want on Cousins, and Minnesota has all the money they need to make a run at him. 

As for the Jets flying colors situation, money is an issue because the team is in a high tax state. I don't know Mrs. Cousins, but not everyone loves the NYC metro area. Kirk's a religious guy, not a big NYC thing. Denver is in the same draft situation as the Jets as far as improving the team goes. No one looks at the Jets coaching staff as a difference maker unless you're Mike Shanahan. And if you don't think Cousins takes John Elway into account in his decision -a guy who won two Super Bowls as a player and built a Super Bowl winner around a veteran QB as an executive not long ago- then I'd have to say that you're a bit delusional. 

Feel free for to root for the Jets to sign Cousins. I fully expect the team to make a serious push in that direction. This idea that it's going to be easy for Maccagnan to close that deal, though, is misguided, imho. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

And yet people think they are not tagging Cousins how?

Become homer fans always think everything will work out homer way.

Somehow DC will kick Cousins to the curb, compensation free, with a bagful of poo sitting at QB behind him.  That makes sense!

Somehow no other team can POSSIBLY give Cousins a legit offer as a free Agent.  OF COURSE NOT!

Somehow Cousins will want to come play for one of the worst teams in the NFL, in the highest tax state in the NFL, with one of the worst Head Coach/Front Office combinations in the NFL, with some of the least talent in the NFL.  SURE HE WOULD!  WHY NOT!

Not sure how back to back 5 win seasons, a proven incompetent team administration, and a decade of perennial failure makes some so optimistic. 

Then again, maybe it's either be a massive homer or jump off the nearest bridge, and we definitely don't want our fellow fans bridge jumping.

Washington and Minnesota each have around $52-53M in cap space right now. Washington can comfortably place any tag they want on Cousins, and Minnesota has all the money they need to make a run at him. 

As for the Jets flying colors situation, money is an issue because the team is in a high tax state. I don't know Mrs. Cousins, but not everyone loves the NYC metro area. Kirk's a religious guy, not a big NYC thing. Denver is in the same draft situation as the Jets as far as improving the team goes. No one looks at the Jets coaching staff as a difference maker unless you're Mike Shanahan. And if you don't think Cousins takes John Elway into account in his decision -a guy who won two Super Bowls as a player and built a Super Bowl winner around a veteran QB as an executive not long ago- then I'd have to say that you're a bit delusional. 

Minnesota I think is going to keep what they got.

The status of Denver only really comes into play if he goes to the market untagged. 

Minnesota I think is going to keep what they got.

The status of Denver only really comes into play if he goes to the market untagged. 

Minnesota has nothing. All of their QBs are free agents. The consensus here seems to be that Cousins is better than all of those guys, so why wouldn't the Vikings give him a long look, too? 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Minnesota has nothing. All of their QBs are free agents. The consensus here seems to be that Cousins is better than all of those guys, so why wouldn't the Vikings give him a long look, too? 

Better put, if Minnesota wants Cousins, they have the cap space to compete too.

Archived