Ex-Jet Chad Pennington shares insight on Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen

Gas2No99

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yes, but unfortunately that 3/4 season of a glimmer of hope was followed by another 5 years of significantly worse performance.

Chad

career was about health.  when relatively healthy we made the playoffs. It's not his fault he didn't have an NFL body.  when he started at least 3/4 of games his teams made the playoffs.  He is the ONLY QB in the Brady era to win an AFC east title besides Brady which includes 1 for us and 1 for Miami where he took over a 1 win team and led them to a div title while we got Brett favre to sabotage what could have been a SB season in a down AFC and NFL. It's just Jets luck that we finally had a young franchise QB and he couldn't stay healthy.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Chad

career was about health.  when relatively healthy we made the playoffs. It's not his fault he didn't have an NFL body.  when he started at least 3/4 of games his teams made the playoffs.  He is the ONLY QB in the Brady era to win an AFC east title besides Brady which includes 1 for us and 1 for Miami where he took over a 1 win team and led them to a div title while we got Brett favre to sabotage what could have been a SB season in a down AFC and NFL. It's just Jets luck that we finally had a young franchise QB and he couldn't stay healthy.

He sucked in 2003 and a left wrist injury is no excuse for that.  He sucked in his 3 games in 2005 before getting hurt again.  He sucked in all of 2007 before being benched for poor play, not injury.  So after one good year that gave some hope, his biggest accomplishments with the Jets were two average-at-best seasons in 2004 and 2006 (both of which ended with horrifically awful performances from Pennington) that pale in comparison to the likes of Fitz's 2015 and McCown's 2017 seasons, which should really tell you everything you need to know.  Injuries certainly didn't help, but after 2002 he never again showed a glimpse of anything close to being a "franchise", even when healthy.

I can't believe @CTM is missing out on this.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

He sucked in 2003 and a left wrist injury is no excuse for that.  He sucked in his 3 games in 2005 before getting hurt again.  He sucked in all of 2007 before being benched for poor play, not injury.  So after one good year that gave some hope, his biggest accomplishments with the Jets were two average-at-best seasons in 2004 and 2006 (both of which ended with horrifically awful performances from Pennington) that pale in comparison to the likes of Fitz's 2015 and McCown's 2017 seasons, which should really tell you everything you need to know.  Injuries certainly didn't help, but after 2002 he never again showed a glimpse of anything close to being a "franchise", even when healthy.

I can't believe @CTM is missing out on this.

he certainly didn't suck in 2003.  He came back playing great, he had 12 Tds and 3 INts in his first 5 starts.  the #s went down late when teams realized he had only 1 weapon(Moss) and he only had 1 really bad game that skewed the #s when looking at them out of context.

he was average in 2004?  he was 137-201, 68%, 1502 yds, 8 TDs, 2 INts, 99.1 rating and the Jets were 6-1 leading up to the game he got hurt in. Then playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder helped us to w/in a missed kick of the AFC Championship Game.

In 2006 his #s were down but he was making plays to win games, him being healthy was why we went 10-6 and made the playoffs again.

seasons he started at least 3/4 of games:

2002: won div title(ONLY non Pats div title in year Brady was starter)

2004: 10-6, reached div rd

2006: 10-6, WC team

2008: won div title w/ Miami after taking over 1 win team while we had much more talented team and HOF QB and couldn't even make the playoffs.

Chad was hurt in 2007, he got hurt week 1 and played through it. 

you are seriously comparing Fitz 2015/McCown 2017 to what Chad did? :lol:

Only Jet fans.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he certainly didn't suck in 2003.  He came back playing great, he had 12 Tds and 3 INts in his first 5 starts.  the #s went down late when teams realized he had only 1 weapon(Moss) and he only had 1 really bad game that skewed the #s when looking at them out of context.

he was average in 2004?  he was 137-201, 68%, 1502 yds, 8 TDs, 2 INts, 99.1 rating and the Jets were 6-1 leading up to the game he got hurt in. Then playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder helped us to w/in a missed kick of the AFC Championship Game.

In 2006 his #s were down but he was making plays to win games, him being healthy was why we went 10-6 and made the playoffs again.

seasons he started at least 3/4 of games:

2002: won div title(ONLY non Pats div title in year Brady was starter)

2004: 10-6, reached div rd

2006: 10-6, WC team

2008: won div title w/ Miami after taking over 1 win team while we had much more talented team and HOF QB and couldn't even make the playoffs.

Chad was hurt in 2007, he got hurt week 1 and played through it. 

you are seriously comparing Fitz 2015/McCown 2017 to what Chad did? :lol:

Only Jet fans.

Literally an entire post doing absolutely nothing but making excuses for why 5 years of mediocrity wasn't his fault.  Thank you for proving my point.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Literally an entire post doing absolutely nothing but making excuses for why 5 years of mediocrity wasn't his fault.  Thank you for proving my point.

every Jet fan would kill for that "mediocrity" right now.  This is why we deserve the teams we have watched in recent years.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Chad

Miami implemented the Wild Cat because Chad sucked so bad...

On 2/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't understand this.  Everything I've ever read or heard about Chad Pennington as a person has been positive.  As a player?  Sure, his arm and his health held him back.  

I understand him being divisive as a player.  I don't understand the hate for Chad as a person. 

Chad was a phony and savvy marketer of his personal "aww shucks" personal brand, everything he did was intentional to maximize the amount of money he made. There's a quote from him back at the combine that revels his motivation and willingness to morph into what he needs to to maximize the money he makes (quoted below). This mentality was later used to manipulate fans where he put on a facade that all he cared about was winning, not money. Floating stories about how he offered to "give back" money to make the team better (and the team declined), or that he didn't want to be distracted by contract, wanted to focus on football and shortly there after signed what was at the time I think the second biggest guaranteed money. All part of a pattern to manipulate fans so he maximized his marketing and salary opportunities. And fans to this day still fellate him at every opportunity despite a career with unequivocally mediocre at best results that cost the team millions and years.

Of course there is no problem with him wanting to make as much money as possible, but we should just see it for what it's worth. Chad was basically a politician and branding expert , a less transparent Trump (Or Clinton) but the same type of scoundrel who cultivated a group of devoted fans who lop up the BS and advocate for him on forums such as these.

And don't forget his lecture to media after receiving mild criticism for poor play that it was "an honor and a privilege" for lowly people such as themselves to get to be around modern day gods known as athletes. How that window into how he really thinks didn't burst the what a great guy Chad is bubble I'll never know, but he laid it out very directly. How dare you criticize me, you should be honored just to be in my presence!

As to his opinion on QB's, he doesn't like either, here again he's adept at veiling criticism. The first guy will be overwhelmed by the city, second guy isn't accurate enough.  I'd give his opinion about as much weight as I'd give TomShane's though, which is to say 0

Chad Pennington said:

"Look, this is still a business, about dollars and cents," Pennington

said. "You make more money if you're prepared, and this place prepares

you, no doubt about it. The guys who say this kind of stuff doesn't

count are simply kidding themselves. The big thing people are looking

for now at the quarterback position is mobility. No way could I have run

the time I did at the combine if I hadn't done all the work at the

institute."

21 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Amazing.  Penningtologists still exist as a full on cult. Wish he'd take them all and develop PenningTown in the jungles of Guyana

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

every Jet fan would kill for that "mediocrity" right now.  This is why we deserve the teams we have watched in recent years.

Yes, I would kill to watch a guy focused on buffing his completion % by playing not to lose and hoping that is good enough in a league where mediocre can get you a wild card bus ticket and playoff check.  Also, miss him getting injured every year and having him occupy a large portion of our cap while sitting on the bench and waving a tool looking for photo ops.

I'll pass, Chad was a cancer who handcuffed this team for the better part of a decade with 0 chance of winning a SB. Gimme the guy that trys to win and flames out in 2 years so we can keep looking.

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Yes, I would kill to watch a guy focused on buffing his completion % by playing not to lose and hoping that is good enough in a league where mediocre can get you a wild card bus ticket and playoff check.  Also, miss him getting injured every year and having him occupy a large portion of our cap while sitting on the bench and waving a tool looking for photo ops.

I'll pass, Chad was a cancer who handcuffed this team for the better part of a decade with 0 chance of winning a SB. Gimme the guy that trys to win and flames out in 2 years so we can keep looking.

he didn't lose a lot so playing not to lose may not have been a bad thing.  In  his healthy years he led us to the playoffs every time. you can be annoyed w/ his durability but his play on the field was very good. it's unfortunate he couldn't stay healthy.

a cancer?:lol: we just have the worst fanbase in sports. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

They implemented an offense from the 1950's to keep the ball out of his hands.

and yet he was 2nd in league MVP voting.  if we kept him we cruise to a div title and could have made a SB run but we had a much more exciting season watching Favre throw INts and sabotage our chances.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he didn't lose a lot so playing not to lose may not have been a bad thing.  In  his healthy years he led us to the playoffs every time. you can be annoyed w/ his durability but his play on the field was very good. it's unfortunate he couldn't stay healthy.

a cancer?:lol: we just have the worst fanbase in sports. 

and yet he was 2nd in league MVP voting.  if we kept him we cruise to a div title and could have made a SB run but we had a much more exciting season watching Favre throw INts and sabotage our chances.

They ran the wild cat with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams taking snaps while Chadwick watched. 

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Amazing.  Penningtologists still exist as a full on cult. Wish he'd take them all and develop PenningTown in the jungles of Guyana

It really is insane.  He was on the team for 8 freakin' years, and returned one good season out of it.  I don't even care what endless stream of excuses there are as to why he sucked in the rest of those seasons, but it wasn't really his fault... it still proved to be a complete waste of time.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

They ran the wild cat with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams taking snaps while Chadwick watched. 

which was why Chad finished 2nd in LEAGUE MVO voting.

after 11 games the Jets were 8-3, Miami 6-5.

Miami would go 5-0, Chad would go 96-135, 71%, 938 yds, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 107 rating, leading O to 20.2 PPG, most yds rushing in any 1 game Ricky & Ronnie had combined was 110. in KC Chad led them to 38 and R/R combined for 66 yds on 20 carries in 38-31 win. he did this w/ Ted Ginn, davone Bess, Anthony Fasano as his main weapons.

in the last 5 games Brett favre w/ a much more talented cast around him went 1-4. Favre went 98-175, 56%, 1011 yds, 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 55.2 rating.  the only game we won came against Buffalo where the D scored in final 2 minutes when we were trailing. In 2 of the games the Jets top 2 rushers gained 125 and 142 and averaged over a yard more per carry during those 5 games than Ricky/Ronnie for Chad.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh come on, it's not like things went horrifically wrong the moment they became reliant on the passing game to win them one.  Like say, in the playoffs or something.

Also have to love that with 8 years on the Jets, there's so little positive that happened, that there's a need to cite when he wasn't even on the team.  Even more comical when the guy couldn't even make the Pro Bowl of what's trying to be argued as an MVP season.

11 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It really is insane.  He was on the team for 8 freakin' years, and returned one good season out of it.  I don't even care what endless stream of excuses there are as to why he sucked in the rest of those seasons, but it wasn't really his fault... it still proved to be a complete waste of time.

he was the primary starter for 4 seasons

2002: division champs

2003: 6-10(team was 2-5 before he started a game)

2004: 10-6, WC

2006: 10-6, WC

2000 and 2001 he was a backup, 2005 he played in 3 games, 2007 he started 7. when he was healthy and our primary starter we won.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Remember when Chad Pennington led a top 10 offense in the NFL just once during his career with a HOF RB and Moss, Coles, Cotch, Cherbet, Baker, Sowell, etc? 

Yeah, me either. 

Oh come on, it's not like things went horrifically wrong the moment they became reliant on the passing game to win them one.  Like say, in the playoffs or something.

Also have to love that with 8 years on the Jets, there's so little positive that happened, that there's a need to cite when he wasn't even on the team.  Even more comical when the guy couldn't even make the Pro Bowl of what's trying to be argued as an MVP season.

or like say at KC week 16 when they ran it 20 times for 66 yds and scored 28 points behind 3 Chad TD passes but let's not let facts get in the way. 

I'm not arguing anything, I am stating a fact.  he finished 2nd in MVP voting.  we all know the Pro Bowl is a joke.  he deserved to make it in 2002 and 2008 at the very least.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Miami would go 5-0, Chad would go 96-135, 71%, 938 yds, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 107 rating, leading O to 20.2 PPG, most yds rushing in any 1 game Ricky & Ronnie had combined was 110. in KC Chad led them to 38 and R/R combined for 66 yds on 20 carries in 38-31 win. he did this w/ Ted Ginn, davone Bess, Anthony Fasano as his main weapons.

in the last 5 games Brett favre w/ a much more talented cast around him went 1-4. Favre went 98-175, 56%, 1011 yds, 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 55.2 rating.  the only game we won came against Buffalo where the D scored in final 2 minutes when we were trailing. In 2 of the games the Jets top 2 rushers gained 125 and 142 and averaged over a yard more per carry during those 5 games than Ricky/Ronnie for Chad.

Remember when Tony Spranro was running the wild cat with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams because he didnt have a reliable QB?

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Image result for chad pennington dancing gif

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Funny what a complete hypocrite you are, given your endless stream of excusing Chad for playing like sh*t when hurt, but yet somehow the same doesn't apply to Favre.  Apparently 5 games of sh*tty play is so much more unforgivable than 5 years of it in your mind.  Not to mention, Chad's one mediocre season with Miami means absolutely nothing about his Jets career.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Remember when Chad Pennington led a top 10 offense in the NFL just once during his career with a HOF RB and Moss, Coles, Cotch, Cherbet, Baker, Sowell, etc? 

Yeah, me either. 

what amazing talent but let's look at it realistically.  He had Coles for 2002 and 2006 in healthy seasons. Moss was essentially a rookie in 2002 and he and Chad were dynamic in 2003 before we traded him after 2004. Chrebet was at the end of his career, Baker was an average at best pass catcher.  Sowell?  what?

I'm guessing but if you took away the awful start in 2002 when Chad wasn't starting that we were top 10 once Chad became the starter and we were likely top 10 when Chad got hurt in 2004.

the game is about winning though and he led us to wins, in every season he played at least 3/4 of games we made the playoffs.

Funny what a complete hypocrite you are, given your endless stream of excusing Chad for playing like sh*t when hurt, but yet somehow the same doesn't apply to Favre.  Apparently 5 games of sh*tty play is so much more unforgivable than 5 years of it in your mind.  Not to mention, Chad's one mediocre season with Miami means absolutely nothing about his Jets career.

where did I make excuses for him playing hurt?  I have stated facts that he led us to the playoffs every time he started at least 3/4 of games.  I did mention his torn rotator cuff in 2004 but unlike Favre he still led us to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

2nd in MVP voting is mediocre?  ok.

and Jet fans will go on and on about Favre.  we have the worst fanbase in sports. we deserve to lose.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was the primary starter for 4 seasons

2002: division champs

2003: 6-10(team was 2-5 before he started a game)

2004: 10-6, WC

2006: 10-6, WC

2000 and 2001 he was a backup, 2005 he played in 3 games, 2007 he started 7. when he was healthy and our primary starter we won.

He was benched in 2007 for sh*tty play.  He doesn't get credit for that, particularly when the team did better without him.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

where did I make excuses for him playing hurt?  I have stated facts that he led us to the playoffs every time he started at least 3/4 of games.  I did mention his torn rotator cuff in 2004 but unlike Favre he still led us to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

2nd in MVP voting is mediocre?  ok.

and Jet fans will go on and on about Favre.  we have the worst fanbase in sports. we deserve to lose.

Chad Pennington's 0 Pro Bowl seasons is mediocre.  Your desperate attempt to credit him for an award he didn't receive is laughable.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what amazing talent but let's look at it realistically.  He had Coles for 2002 and 2006 in healthy seasons. Moss was essentially a rookie in 2002 and he and Chad were dynamic in 2003 before we traded him after 2004. Chrebet was at the end of his career, Baker was an average at best pass catcher.  Sowell?  what?

I'm guessing but if you took away the awful start in 2002 when Chad wasn't starting that we were top 10 once Chad became the starter and we were likely top 10 when Chad got hurt in 2004.

the game is about winning though and he led us to wins, in every season he played at least 3/4 of games we made the playoffs.

So, you dont remember when Chad led a top 10 offense?

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

He was benched in 2007 for sh*tty play.  He doesn't get credit for that, particularly when the team did better without him.

he was struggling, we had an awful OL(remember we spent big to upgrade that offseason) but he was hurt.  he got hurt week 1 and played through it though poorly.  It was his only stretch of poor football in his career.  amazingly great Jet fans remember this and nothing else.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Chad Pennington's 0 Pro Bowl seasons is mediocre.  Your desperate attempt to credit him for an award he didn't receive is laughable.

the pro bowl is a joke.  he deserved at least 2 PB trips.  Drew Bledsoe made it over him in 2002 and Chad led the NFL in passing that year.

what is laughable are the Jet fans that try to bash Chad when all he did was help us win when he was healthy.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

So, you dont remember when Chad led a top 10 offense?

2002 weeks 1-4 w/ Vinny starting our offense scored a total of 37 points(9.3 PPG).

weeks 5-16 w/ chad starting the O averaged 24.6 PPG then in the playoffs set a franchise record for points scored in a postseason game by the Jets offense. Denver was 7th in the league scoring 24.5 PPG so we would have been 6th w/ the average under Chad(and I took away D/STs TDs from us and didn't do it for the other offenses so we may have been higher).

why do Jet fans hate the Jets so much? why do they hate the little success we have had?

Archived