Wasting money sucks ass...

I seem to have a problem with pissing away my paychecks every week from ShopRite.

Being a Senior in HS and working at the same time sucks ass because whenever you're off you want to be out and being out = money and I find myself paying for others because a lot of my friends are lazy bums and don't work. I don't know. Tonight I had to eat on my own cause of no work and no parentals home after the basketball game. So I come home, plenty of food in the house and I go out and waste 11 bucks on food. It pisses me off. I hate it. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop or at least limit the money I waste?

Well... do you want a real answer, or a cure all? Because, there isn't a cure all. The real answer is to stay home. Eat at home. It's free. Pack lunches. Don't eat out as much. That's the quickest way to save money. You can also stop paying for the moochers. If they go away, then they weren't really your friends anyway. Just using you to pay for their sh*t.

I seem to have a problem with pissing away my paychecks every week from ShopRite.

Being a Senior in HS and working at the same time sucks a$$ because whenever you're off you want to be out and being out = money and I find myself paying for others because a lot of my friends are lazy bums and don't work. I don't know. Tonight I had to eat on my own cause of no work and no parentals home after the basketball game. So I come home, plenty of food in the house and I go out and waste 11 bucks on food. It pisses me off. I hate it. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop or at least limit the money I waste?

What I did was simple and it worked wonders. I was paying my "dates" for a full hour. Then I realized I wasn't using nearly that amount of time.

I now pay for half an hour and I have so much extra money it is amazing.

You're working and going to school. You're obviously a guy with some ambition and brains, so I'm going to give it to you straight:

The answer to deadbeat friends is STOP BEING A DUMBASS! They'll take advantage of you as long as you let them.

The answer to deadbeat friends is STOP BEING A DUMBASS! They'll take advantage of you as long as you let them.

Yes, listen to Bob. Those deadbeats will continue to mooch off you as long as you allow it. There is nothing wrong with helping out a friend, but when it gets to the point where they depend on you, just tell them to get a job!!

I have to limit my spending as well. There are so many things I blow my money on (sportscards, video games, dvds, basketball tickets, etc) that alot of times I find myself thin on the finances. One thing I have learned that helps alot is to force myself not to spend. The way I do that is if I have some cash on me and I am going out, I only take a certain amount...usually enough to eat or get a drink, etc. Leave the bulk of your money at home where it cannot be spent. Its a good way to start budgeting yourself. Chances are after you have forced yourself so much you will get more accustomed to it and it will be easier.

Also remember that everytime your friends go out and spend their money, you don't always have to go. I learned this the hard way, often spending most of my cash and then having to sit out on later things.

Plus, like SS said, eat at home (going out burns alot of cash and very quickly) and limit your going out to eat to once or twice a week.

First take the advice of the guys who say stay at home more. RENT movies. Pop your own popcorn in a pan and find out how much better it is than the microwave crap...and about 8cents a bowl.

Sure, it isn't cool being home more, but in about 10 years, all the chicks (that didn't marry the future trailermongers) will dig your wallet. YOU get to determine the path to the wallet. I hope my wife doesn't read this.

Phase II. You will NOT rent an apartment. Get a decent job and buy a DUPLEX. Rent out the other side and let the neighbors buy you a house.

In 2 yrs and 1 day, move into your NEXT duplex. KEEP the one you're in now.

Repeat.

Being a Senior in HS and working at the same time sucks a$$ because whenever you're off you want to be out and being out = money and I find myself paying for others because a lot of my friends are lazy bums and don't work. I don't know. Tonight I had to eat on my own cause of no work and no parentals home after the basketball game. So I come home, plenty of food in the house and I go out and waste 11 bucks on food. It pisses me off. I hate it. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop or at least limit the money I waste?

get rid of the mac card an don't TRUST anyone that tells you they are single!!

YOU will be RICH one day! :wink:

I GUARANTEE it :P

I had a lot of "deadbeat" friends when I was in college, used to pull down a nice buck working full time at night and going to school during the day.

One of them is my accountant, and I haven't paid to have my taxes done in a long time. heh. Goes both ways though, one of them still mooches off of me a bit. He can barely pay the bills so I still front him the cash sometimes when we go out.

Can't knock you for being generous, just make sure you know for sure that they aren't just there for a free ride.

To save money... eat at home from time to time. No need to have thrown 11 bucks away last night.

Definitely start eating cheaper. If you actually took the time to sit down and figure out (even an estimate) how much you spend eating out of your house it'll be several hundred dollars. Learning to cook a little bit or even just nuking food will save you a ton of money. IMO for somebody in your situation/age that can be your biggest money saver.

Start saving the money you're not spending on food and watching your savings grow will motivate you to keep doing it right. Worked for me when I was in HS.

JMO...best of luck

Archived