July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Here’s Gaslighter Hall of Fame DE, Claude Humphrey starring in the Dukes of Hazard. Humphrey is credited with 126 1/2 unofficial sacks during his career. 

Screen_Shot_2014-07-30_at_11.56.43_PM.pn

I remember Humph. Played on AWFUL Falcon teams. Was on my radar. Was a beast! Imagine if he had talent around him.....SCARY 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I just knew you had 2 OL and didn't check to see which positions you had filled.  it's never good to zero in on a guy before your turn.  Many tears that way :)

Yea so going OL was a must this late in  He game. Lot of guys went for the jugular early in positions that were not prime time. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Yea so going OL was a must this late in  He game. Lot of guys went for the jugular early in positions that were not prime time. 

That's what this will all come down to.  I think I have among the best OL and DL.  But I spent early picks on those guys rather than top-5 WRs or RBs.  I don't have Jim Brown or Walter Payton running behind my OL and I will have lower-tier DBs compared to other teams.  I'm not worried until we're done drafting as I have a twist or two left in my bag hopefully.  

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's what this will all come down to.  I think I have among the best OL and DL.  But I spent early picks on those guys rather than top-5 WRs or RBs.  I don't have Jim Brown or Walter Payton running behind my OL and I will have lower-tier DBs compared to other teams.  I'm not worried until we're done drafting as I have a twist or two left in my bag hopefully.  

Well it depends on what’s valued in the eyes ? of the judges. To me, QB, LT, DL, CB and WR are paramount. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

It depends on what the voters value. Most fans will see two big name WRs, RBs or QB/WR combo and vote for them. 

I have no idea how I’m gonna do it. It may come down to biggest weaknesses and matchups etc. So I think these bottom rounds might mean a lot.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I have no idea how I’m gonna do it. It may come down to biggest weaknesses and matchups etc. So I think these bottom rounds might mean a lot.

Absolutely. But balance is the key IMO. I went Ole Skool on many positions that were emptied out by the top modern players since many of these guys DOMINATED at their position in their era. 

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

If it were my turn the picks would be in. Instead you slow motherf*ckers are dragging this sh*t out.

My kid will be in college before this draft is over. She's four right now.

I'm not too upset about the pace, but yea...last time I picked was on Sunday night. I'm nearing the end of a second full workday....no picks and having to see guys fly off the board like this has been tough.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If it were my turn the picks would be in. Instead you slow motherf*ckers are dragging this sh*t out.

My kid will be in college before this draft is over. She's four right now.

Don’t talk sh*t to me - I’m one of the fastest on here. And your kids to dumb to go to college so who cares. 

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Unfortunately for me, I agree. But I'm trying to build the best team I can, regardless of star appeal.

I’m trying to go with a balanced team that I think would play well together. Having Marcus Allen and Franco Harris paired with Montana gives the offense a lot of options.

Solid lines and playmakers on both side of the ball,something the Jets haven’t had in a while. 

For me, the biggest problem is judging size compared to era.  Buck Buchanan is an absolute monster, but he is only listed at 270.  Jim Marshall like 245, but he was as big as anyone.  Bergey was also 245 and he looked like a freak out there.  The older guards and tackles are so small, but they didn't have the chemical advantage or the similac. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

For me, the biggest problem is judging size compared to era.  Buck Buchanan is an absolute monster, but he is only listed at 270.  Jim Marshall like 245, but he was as big as anyone.  Bergey was also 245 and he looked like a freak out there.  The older guards and tackles are so small, but they didn't have the chemical advantage or the similac. 

We’re judging how they played in their era. Rules and size have changed drastically. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m trying to go with a balanced team that I think would play well together. Having Marcus Allen and Franco Harris paired with Montana gives the offense a lot of options.

Solid lines and playmakers on both side of the ball,something the Jets haven’t had in a while. 

That is a nice group.  Literally three of the guys I would absolutely never want to pick, but they go well together.  It will be interesting to me how I feel about your team in a matchup.  I am on record saying Franco Harris had no place in this draft, but he will make a nice option to catch the ball out of the backfield and pick up the blitz.  Especially with Montana.  He wouldn't sniff 1,000 yards in this league though. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

For me, the biggest problem is judging size compared to era.  Buck Buchanan is an absolute monster, but he is only listed at 270.  Jim Marshall like 245, but he was as big as anyone.  Bergey was also 245 and he looked like a freak out there.  The older guards and tackles are so small, but they didn't have the chemical advantage or the similac

IveI’ve This is so true. BUT when you read about these guys they were every bit the athlete the bigger players were in the modern era. And they were even more fearless and crazy competitive. Many of these guys played both ways and without face masks and had inferior equipment. Yet they were dominant and gamers in every sense of the word. 

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

I’ll slap you in the head like nycdan’s Pick Ricky Jackson biatch. 

I'll send you my address so you can try. If it takes as long for you to get here as it does for you to make a pick, I'll be waiting a really long time.

28 minutes ago, BigO said:

Don’t talk sh*t to me - I’m one of the fastest on here. And your kids to dumb to go to college so who cares. 

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Your wife agrees.

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

I’ll slap you in the head like nycdan’s Pick Ricky Jackson biatch. 

dead2.gif

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is a nice group.  Literally three of the guys I would absolutely never want to pick, but they go well together.  It will be interesting to me how I feel about your team in a matchup.  I am on record saying Franco Harris had no place in this draft, but he will make a nice option to catch the ball out of the backfield and pick up the blitz.  Especially with Montana.  He wouldn't sniff 1,000 yards in this league though. 

Outside of Brown none of the other FBs would get 1000 yards in this league. 

Archived