Mid-Season Observations (WWCJD?)

KRL

As we hit the midpoint of the season the question that sticks in my mind is, What Will Chris
Johnson Do?  Because there are a ton of issues facing this team entering the final half of
the season:

- They have a below average record, an inability to win on the road and difficulty stringing
wins together

- A coaching staff that seemed to give up on the CHI game before it started with its lack of
offensive creativity.  And post game comments that basically wanted the team to be awarded 
"participation trophies" because they fought hard

- A GM who has missed on a ton of mid-round picks which has cost the roster depth

- Leonard Williams is due for a contract extension but his stats have not lived up to his
draft status

- Trumaine Johnson was given a Revis type of contract and up to this point has not lived up
to it

- Still no impact OLB pass rusher

There are good things to be hopeful about:

- Sam Darnold looks to be the franchise QB.  Even in the games he struggles he never looks overwhelmed
or frantic.  His strengths (poise, mobility, accuracy & progressions) coming out of school have been evident
and he's improved his ball security in the pocket.  Getting players healthy at the skill positions will 
make his job easier

- The OLine has been decent.  Even though it needs to get younger on the left side and Spencer Long needs
to get healthy and his snaps under control.  They've had some impressive efforts and Darnold hasn't been
under seige

- Chris Herndon looks to have a big future as a weapon at TE

- Robby Anderson has consistently been running past some of the best CB's (Jalen Ramsey, Chris Harris &
Xavier Rhodes) in the league.  The timing between him and Darnold has to be improved though because
they've missed on 3-4 long TD's

- The front office has found some very good bargains on defense in Henry Anderson, Brandon Copeland and
Avery Williamson

- Darron Lee and Darryl Roberts have improved tremendously

- Jamal Adams has taken a big step in showing why he was drafted #6

- The special teams have finally been stabilized with Jason Myers, Lachlan Edwards and Andre Roberts 

So there are some positives and negatives, but with eight games left what criteria will Chris Johnson
use to determine if Maccagnan and Bowles are the right people to lead the team forward in a crucial
off-season?  

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

As we hit the midpoint of the season the question that sticks in my mind is, What Will Chris
Johnson Do?  Because there are a ton of issues facing this team entering the final half of
the season:

- They have a below average record, an inability to win on the road and difficulty stringing
wins together

- A coaching staff that seemed to give up on the CHI game before it started with its lack of
offensive creativity.  And post game comments that basically wanted the team to be awarded 
"participation trophies" because they fought hard

- A GM who has missed on a ton of mid-round picks which has cost the roster depth

- Leonard Williams is due for a contract extension but his stats have not lived up to his
draft status

- Trumaine Johnson was given a Revis type of contract and up to this point has not lived up
to it

- Still no impact OLB pass rusher

There are good things to be hopeful about:

- Sam Darnold looks to be the franchise QB.  Even in the games he struggles he never looks overwhelmed
or frantic.  His strengths (poise, mobility, accuracy & progressions) coming out of school have been evident
and he's improved his ball security in the pocket.  Getting players healthy at the skill positions will 
make his job easier

- The OLine has been decent.  Even though it needs to get younger on the left side and Spencer Long needs
to get healthy and his snaps under control.  They've had some impressive efforts and Darnold hasn't been
under seige

- Chris Herndon looks to have a big future as a weapon at TE

- Robby Anderson has consistently been running past some of the best CB's (Jalen Ramsey, Chris Harris &
Xavier Rhodes) in the league.  The timing between him and Darnold has to be improved though because
they've missed on 3-4 long TD's

- The front office has found some very good bargains on defense in Henry Anderson, Brandon Copeland and
Avery Williamson

- Darron Lee and Darryl Roberts have improved tremendously

- Jamal Adams has taken a big step in showing why he was drafted #6

- The special teams have finally been stabilized with Jason Myers, Lachlan Edwards and Andre Roberts 

So there are some positives and negatives, but with eight games left what criteria will Chris Johnson
use to determine if Maccagnan and Bowles are the right people to lead the team forward in a crucial
off-season?  

If he was listening to his HC's presser yesterday after the game, I would think one decision would already have been made.

You stated the main problem with any head coach, manager, or executive in any business, sport, or whatnot and that is, giving up. I knew we had no chance in hell of winning yesterday, didn't you all?. We lose every game we are supposed to lose and never EVER rise up and win one that we are maybe not supposed to. I have watched Jet football for 45 years, sat through Charley Winner, Rich Kotite, Lou Holtz, Joe must go, Bruce Coslet, Pete Carroll, and never EVER did I think the team quit. They might not have been very good, but they never quit like this guys teams do, then in postgame, we get him complimenting his players for "trying hard". Give me a break. They have zero excuse for not planning yesterday to maybe go hurry up or do more roll outs or something instead of handing off on first down up the middle every single time putting their 19 year old rookie QB in jeopardy with 2nd and 8,  9, 10 every single series, behind an average to below average OL. 

Did anyone see NO play last night? Payton has guys running all over the field, most of whom are no names. Not talking about Kamara, Brees, or their other star players, I am talking about that kid #7 they had running all over the place, doing flea flickers etc. displaying IMAGINATIVE OFFENSIVE SCHEMES.

Imagination is something sorely lacking in Florham Park, unless you count the fact that they imagine Bowles and MacCagnan are the guys to take us forward..

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Johnson Do?
 Because there are a ton of issues facing this team entering the final half of
the season:

I still do not believe that Woody will allow Chris to make any franchise-changing decisions (i.e. replace the HC or GM).  This is and will always be Woody's team (until he sells it or dies) and Woody's modus operandi will stick like glue.  In fact, I expect them to be even more conservative while Woody is on his little Great Britain 4 year vacation.  

I was once a Bowles supporter(who knows why) but it’s just been to much this season and nothings changing. You can only use so many excuses. No NFL team is gonna have a perfect situation. Just because you have a rookie QB and some injuries doesn’t mean you have to play scared and just hope you don’t get blown out. 

Never feels like this team is on the attack and being aggressive. They’re always trying to just not mess up. I’d rather go down swinging then be all cautious every week. Even when they were healthy, felt that same way. 

It’s easy to get weapons for an offense, they can’t fuk up this off season. They better change their mentality. Forget pass rusher, even if this is the year to get one. Give me offense.

No matter what record we end up with yesterday's game makes me doubt Bates as the coach
to develop Darnold.  With us hurting at WR why didn't they create a package to use the
TE's (healthiest position) in creative ways???  All four of them have shown the ability
to block and three of them (Herndon, Sterling & Leggett) have the speed to play in the
slot or outside.  Come out in a "big" formation (4 TE's and Crowell) giving the impression
that we were going to run and throw a play action pass down the field 

chris Johnson has no juice whatsoever

He can't buy out Bowles and Mac nor will he.

Unlike players these coach contracts are owed no matter what and they just extended both a couple years. 

To pay these guys millions of dollars to NOT COACH and NOT GM, that's a Woody level decision not Chris. 

Chris has done nothing to prove he has any power whatsoever. He's got great PR that's about it. 

the team is still 16 mil under the cap by the way, not that it matters. And Brandon Copeland is not a find, he sucks. 

1 minute ago, KRL said:

No matter what record we end up with yesterday's game makes me doubt Bates as the coach
to develop Darnold.  With us hurting at WR why didn't they create a package to use the
TE's (healthiest position) in creative ways???  All four of them have shown the ability
to block and three of them (Herndon, Sterling & Leggett) have the speed to play in the
slot or outside.  Come out in a "big" formation (4 TE's and Crowell) giving the impression

before the TD catch, Chris Herndon's biggest contribution to yesterday's game was a false start penalty. And Neal Sterling has stone hands.  Darnold was staring down his 1st read all game yesterday these are deck chairs on the Titanic. We still haven't seen the kid play well in incliment weather by the way. This is his first year dealing with actual elements. He had a perfect snap hit him in the hands on first and 10 and he had to jump on it. At this point they run the clock and punt as much to protect Darnold from himself. If the point of these games were to win them, Josh McCown would have been starting the whole time. 

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

Probably because under Bowles influence, he wants to come out in a big formation and actually run it. And run it again. 

Archived