Jets CEO: Gase hire about winning, not Twitter

Gas2No99

imagine  running a business and needing to hire a new leader for your company

you have two options

#1 a guy that reached the pinnacle the greatest accomplishment in your industry and has a history of performing well over a decade.

#2-a guy that has never come to close to achieving great results-in fact he was just fired by  your competitor for poor performance, not being well liked not getting his team to perform. The  area he is supposed to excel at his team was the worst in the industry (his  offense) The  key members of his team were thrilled to see him go. They said he lacked commitment to following the plan to succeed. He alienated his most talented people.

The Jets hired a loser. They passed on a winner. If you are a long time fan, you know how this will turn out.

This is what our franchise have provided us with

joe walton

bruce coslet

rich kotite

Parcells-only smart hire a proven guy-gave us hope and was a vinny t injury away from glory-he drafted guys that became cornerstones of our franchise for a decade

al groh-some of you may be saying who? but he sucked

herm you play to win the game edwards-only problem his teams never won

mangini-given a short leash but did not win

Rex-took a shot on a proven defensive guy-results were very good with a terrible qb-two afc championship games-best accomplishment of any coach in my life for the jets

Bowles-a terrible coach

Gase-he will be this generations Bruce Coslet

many times fans do know better-many fans knew right away our hires were bad ones. Many fans knew many of our picks were terrible over the years in the draft-I watched two of them in person us selecting Ken Obrien over Marino and and us selecting kyle brady over sapp and both times the fans were SCREAMING the names of the future hall of famers and the jets picked scrubs instead

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every single owner of a NFL team is always involved in hiring the teams HC.  CJ was in the interviews and as he said his job, in his mind, was watching and listening to figure out the man, who he was.  He has said Macc and Heimerdinger know football, he doesn't and he defers the football portion to them.  I see no guarantee that they made the best choice but don't see where the process was flawed in regards to CJs involvement.  There also is no indication that if Macc wanted one guy the owner would overrule his choice.  Anymore than of a VP wanted someone who wasn't the owners choice he wouldn't be overruled.  

I guess my issue is Mac doesn’t know football or show good decision making so if the owner is leaning on Mac, that’s even worse. Heimerdinger is an unknown and I don’t think it’s fair to give him credit and Mac blame or vice versa. I consider them a package deal.

If the GM truly is the one who has the most say/influence, then we have a big problem because Mac is terrible. I’d love to be proven wrong but this is why I feel there are “flaws” to the hiring process.

The ones making the decision are not successful/knowledgeable enough in my opinion. Not enough experience as owner or GM compared to other teams. 

for you more recent  jet fans, I can tell you how the story ends

3-4 years of waiting for the system to work-fired by year 4

2 years from now mac will be fired-the new gm will come in and want to bring his own guy-ownership wont let him so gase hangs on another year or two then gets fired

lame duck gm is given more time while new coach learns his way

wash rinse and repeat

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I guess my issue is Mac doesn’t know football or show good decision making so if the owner is leaning on Mac, that’s even worse. Heimerdinger is an unknown and I don’t think it’s fair to give him credit and Mac blame or vice versa. I consider them a package deal.

If the GM truly is the one who has the most say/influence, then we have a big problem because Mac is terrible. I’d love to be proven wrong but this is why I feel there are “flaws” to the hiring process.

The ones making the decision are not successful/knowledgeable enough in my opinion. Not enough experience as owner or GM compared to other teams. 

Your big assumption is that because Macc missed on draft picks he can't possibly be the lead voice in picking a HC is understandable but really not proven given this is his first go at it and really nothing says it's gone wrong at this point.  Patience and we'll find out soon enough. 

Think about this, two HOF GMs recommend Bowles.  Two totally successful GMs on any level.  Drafting well doesn't mean you can pick a HC either. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I kinda dig the approach by Chris Johnson and Gase here, basically giving everyone the finger and staying focused on the business end. This is not how the Jets usually do business. 

The Jets have been giving us the finger for 50 years, why change now?

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Your big assumption is that because Macc missed on draft picks he can't possibly be the lead voice in picking a HC is understandable but really not proven given this is his first go at it and really nothing says it's gone wrong at this point.  Patience and we'll find out soon enough. 

Think about this, two HOF GMs recommend Bowles.  Two totally successful GMs on any level.  Drafting well doesn't mean you can pick a HC either. 

Exactly. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No way Macc looks into Gases’s eyes and not see his own mortality. I’m still modestly shaken up from that press conference yesterday. 

I'm pretty sure 90% of the people watching the presser looked into Gase's eyes and saw their own mortality.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

For me, I was a Rhule guy. And I believe they may have been also. I believe in how he builds a program and I think he is tremendously smart and has a plan.

Whether it was the staffing issue that created the separation there, none of us will ever really know. But whatever it was, along with the want to have the program move quickly, moved them toward Gase or MacCarthy.

Also a rhule guy, the fact he required a buyout from Baylor killed those negotiations. They made it about the staff to short circuit the negotiations and not look obviously cheap. Similarly McCarthy made 9 mil last year and has another 9 mil coming to him if he just sits at home. 

The Jets picked a guy who is clearly the cheapest of the final 3.  side note they kept Mac (!), Gregg Williams and KK leveraged the team in negotiations to get more money and somehow they even got TB to refund some of Bowles' buyout. 

the Gase hiring may look a certain way to the fans but to the accountants, this was the cheapest possible way to fire Bowles and hire a new HC. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Also a rhule guy, the fact he required a buyout from Baylor killed those negotiations. They made it about the staff to short circuit the negotiations and not look obviously cheap. Similarly McCarthy made 9 mil last year and has another 9 mil coming to him if he just sits at home. 

The Jets picked a guy who is clearly the cheapest of the final 3.  side note they kept Mac (!), Gregg Williams and KK leveraged the team in negotiations to get more money and somehow they even got TB to refund some of Bowles' buyout. 

the Gase hiring may look a certain way to the fans but to the accountants, this was the cheapest possible way to fire Bowles and hire a new HC. 

Your post has some somewhat truths, and some not really truths in it.

But, it is your agenda, and I will respect that.

Archived