If Todd Bowles could go back in time what would he do differently

WayneChrebet80

On 1/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, Maxman said:

Put together a real coaching staff and don't hire Kacy Rodgers.

It must have been in the Johnson's head, because we did not hire Head Coach this year, based on their choices of OC and DC, Matt Rhule?

I can only think they looked at how poor the staff was under Bowles, and thought not again.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were Bowles the decision I would regret the most is benching Geno  for the whole season and letting Ryan Fitzpatrick be the QB the whole first year.  Geno was a young QB who the organization still believed in and Bowles was no doubt expected to see what he can get out of him.  If after one season-or certainly two-Geno doesn't develop then it would not be held against Bowles if he says, "Draft a QB in the first round so we can start over".

Spending four years with career journeymen at QB without giving the team a chance to try to get a franchise QB to build the offense around until your fifth year was Bowles' doom-and probably should have been Mac's doom as well.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

The talk is about Gase, but what about Bowles?

Say what you want about Bowles, but the only real shot he had was in year one. 

If you gave Bowles truth serum I think his biggest regret would have been allowing Gailey to return in year 2 instead of retiring.  Had he done so he might have been able to attract a strong OC candidate coming off a ten win team instead of being stuck with Morton and Bates. 

I also think overestimated his ability to handle the jobs of DC and Head Coach. Why not hire a young aspiring coach as DC to work under and help you instead of your buddy? That said if Bowles ever gets another shot my bet is that Rodgers is his DC.

I dont think Bowles was fired simply over wins and losses.  I think he was fired because he was too stubborn, kept making the same stupid in game decisions over and over, and because hid post game pressers sounded like a trailer from Sling Blade.

If I could turn back time, I'd skip reading these 4 pages and get a little of my life back.  :-)

But in the spirit of the topic, please keep this song in your head. In fact, after seeing and hearing it, it will probably be there for a bit whether you want it to or not. 

It's in my head just from reading the topic, which is why I'm a little annoyed right now. :-)

If you listen to the song too many times while reading the topic, Cher morphs into Bowles and you have to contend with the image of Bowles, wearing a thong and fishnets, performing for a crew of sailors. 

I'm not judging. That could be your thing. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, NYJ1 said:

All true... Good post. EXCEPT, I believe 2017 was an excellent job by Bowles? Really his only good coaching job in NY.

The only year I can give m a pass for is 2016, the roster got old in a hurry and had some crazy personalities.  I think w/ better coaching in 2017 we win 7-8 games.  I know the thinking was we were tanking heading into that season and would be lucky to win 2 but we got a career year from McCown and easily could have won 3-4 more games.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, T0mShane said:

100% this. Bowles was bad, but there might not have been a single coach alive who could have prospered here the last four years. 

any decent HC would have had the 2015 Jets in the playoffs and would have won a lot more than 5,5, and 4 games the last 3 seasons.  The biggest reason we sucked these last 4 years was b/c of the HC. 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then what happened?

My point still stands. Stubborn, inflexible and reliant on ground and pound all applied to Rex Ryan.

They had some cap issues, lost a bunch of talent and they foolishly fired Tannenbaum and brought in idzik who spent 2 years trying to sabotage Rex so he could fire him and hire his own guy.

The pass offense led the way in 2010, how many games did we win late that year through the air?  it as ground and pound w/ the rookie but when he had more talent to throw to year 2 they threw a lot. 

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The same people who want to blame Bowles for everything make excuses for Rex.

Weird how that works.

He had plenty of talent in Buffalo. What happened there?

He didn't have a full losing season in Buffalo, they had a million injuries to key guys as well.  If relatively healthy in 2015 they would have made the playoffs instead they just knocked us out w/ a beat up team w/ nothing to play for b/c our HC was badly outcoached by rex.  Rex's team was more amped up to play a meaningless week 17 game than Todd's team was w/ the playoff on the line.

5 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Rex inherited a very talented roster and it went to sh*t under his watch. He had a big say in personel decisions when Tannenbaum was here and deserves plenty of blame for what happened.

Rex inherited a team that had a hall of fame QB the year before against one of the easiest scheds of all time and Brady out for the year yet they still couldn't make the playoffs.  When Rex walked in the team collapsed to end 2008 and he had a rookie QB yet he guided that team to the AFC Championship Game beating the hottest team in the AFC on the road in the div rd.  He followed that up w/ another trip to the title game beating the greatest QB of all time and a guy who many consider the greatest HC of all time on the road in the div rd.  That game was played after the 2010 season, that was the last time someone prevented NE from making at least the AFC Championship game and it remains just 1 of 3 home losses in the playoffs in the Brady era and the ONLY NE loss at home in the div rd.

The Jets made some big moves and went for it all, they had a 4 year window from 2008-2011.  2 of those years we were a game away from the SB, the other 2 9-7 and 8-8.  It was a good run, it was known they would have to start retooling after 2011.  the plan was in place to get back cap flexibility after 2012 but we foolishly fired Tannenbaum and hired Idzik which led us to where we are today.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They had some cap issues, lost a bunch of talent and they foolishly fired Tannenbaum and brought in idzik who spent 2 years trying to sabotage Rex so he could fire him and hire his own guy.

The pass offense led the way in 2010, how many games did we win late that year through the air?  it as ground and pound w/ the rookie but when he had more talent to throw to year 2 they threw a lot. 

He didn't have a full losing season in Buffalo, they had a million injuries to key guys as well.  If relatively healthy in 2015 they would have made the playoffs instead they just knocked us out w/ a beat up team w/ nothing to play for b/c our HC was badly outcoached by rex.  Rex's team was more amped up to play a meaningless week 17 game than Todd's team was w/ the playoff on the line.

Rex inherited a team that had a hall of fame QB the year before against one of the easiest scheds of all time and Brady out for the year yet they still couldn't make the playoffs.  When Rex walked in the team collapsed to end 2008 and he had a rookie QB yet he guided that team to the AFC Championship Game beating the hottest team in the AFC on the road in the div rd.  He followed that up w/ another trip to the title game beating the greatest QB of all time and a guy who many consider the greatest HC of all time on the road in the div rd.  That game was played after the 2010 season, that was the last time someone prevented NE from making at least the AFC Championship game and it remains just 1 of 3 home losses in the playoffs in the Brady era and the ONLY NE loss at home in the div rd.

The Jets made some big moves and went for it all, they had a 4 year window from 2008-2011.  2 of those years we were a game away from the SB, the other 2 9-7 and 8-8.  It was a good run, it was known they would have to start retooling after 2011.  the plan was in place to get back cap flexibility after 2012 but we foolishly fired Tannenbaum and hired Idzik which led us to where we are today.

You want to take a look at the first round picks under Rex?

2009: Mark Sanchez

2010: Kyle Wilson

2011: Muhammad Wilkerson

2012: Quinton Coples

2013: Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson

2014: Calvin Pryor 

I really dont get this argument that they mortgaged the future considering that had all of their first round picks during Ryans tenure here. 

Lets also not forget he signed off on decisions like signing Santonio Holmes to a long term extension (then making him team captain), and also paying Mark Sanchez. 

Rex did a nice job with Manginis players just like Herm did a nice job with Parcells players. Both men proved they were incapable of building a sustainable winner at the NFL level. 

22 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

You want to take a look at the first round picks under Rex?

2009: Mark Sanchez

2010: Kyle Wilson

2011: Muhammad Wilkerson

2012: Quinton Coples

2013: Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson

2014: Calvin Pryor 

I really dont get this argument that they mortgaged the future considering that had all of their first round picks during Ryans tenure here. 

Lets also not forget he signed off on decisions like signing Santonio Holmes to a long term extension (then making him team captain), and also paying Mark Sanchez. 

Rex did a nice job with Manginis players just like Herm did a nice job with Parcells players. Both men proved they were incapable of building a sustainable winner at the NFL level. 

They made2 title games w/ Mark, that was a good pick.

Mo was a good pick who later failed under Bowles

Richardson was a good pick who later failed under Bowles

every team misses on picks.  we went fro it during the late Mangini years/early Rex years.  We made a million trades and gave up picls signed a ton of FAs.  From 2007-2010(4 drafts) we only made 17 total picks- that's just over 4 a season. 

Let's also not forget the final 4/final 8 rules in 2009 and 2010 w/ the impending lockout at the time.  That hampered our ability to make moves in FA so we made more trades and gave up more picks.

Mangini couldn't win w/ "Mangini players", Parcells had 1 playoff year in 4 years(including yr he oversaw Groh) w/ "parcells players"

Parcells roster was mostly leftovers from Coslet/Carroll/Kotite eras.  Mangini had his lone playoff season w/ leftovers from Parcells/Herm eras.  That will always happen but Rex proved to be a MUCH better coach than Mangini.  obviously Herm wasn't better than parcells(few were) but Herm was certainly better than Mangini.

Archived