Frank Pollack

RSJ

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Edoga played one of the worst games at OLT I’ve ever seen, and I saw Nate Solder and Ereck Flowers play for the Giants. I don’t think there’s a lot of talent to work with there, but they make some basic mistakes you just shouldn’t see, and it’s killing the team

I was searching for old articles too remind people how bad DBrick was when he was drafted and came across this. Published three years after he was drafted. It's crazy the amount of hate Edoga gets after starting the third game of his career and first at LT. Did he even give up one sack in that sh*tfest?

Looking Back: New York Jets 2006 NFL Draft Ranking

KEVIN DEBENEDETTOAPRIL 19, 2009

NEW YORK - APRIL 29:  D'Brickashaw Ferguson with his family after being selected fourth oveall by the New York Jets in the 2006 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall on April 29, 2006 in New York City.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

It is well-known that draft classes can only truly be graded once the class is in their third year or later.

That means that the 2006 NFL Draft class can finally now be examined, and I will grade my favorite team, the New York Jets.

The Jets were coming off a 4-12 season in 2005 and had two first round draft picks this year.  It was the first year for Mangini in the war room and a good draft could really give him support from the fans.

I will go round by round looking at every pick they made, talk a little bit about the player, and then grade them. They will be graded on play so far, and their potential grade. Their potential grade is a guess on how they could end up as a player for the rest of their career.

Round one

Fourth overall pick: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

He has received a lot of hate, which is not deserved. Did he have a rocky start? Sure, but he was a rookie playing in the second-hardest position to play in the NFL. Very few rookies can start in game one and have a great season (See: Clady, Ryan).

You also have to understand for that his first two years, he had no help on that line besides the other first round pick this year, Nick Mangold.

To put it differently, ‘Brick only allowed four sacks this past season. That ranked 14th among left tackles, so right now he is better than half of the league’s starting tackles. That number also came with Brett Favre taking snaps, who didn’t move much at all. If he had a young QB behind him, like he will this year, that number should drop.

Expect to see a 1-2.5 sack allowance number this year.
GRADE: B+
POTENTIAL GRADE: A-

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think many of us are writing darnold off.  I think we are a year and a half in and very concerned about the level of play.

That is not what you say... What you write is that you think he is sh*t and will never be good.

• Thumb Down 1

I saw whats in the video I posted a dazed and confused QB. 

Yeah I agree. I think on the other picks he expected the WR in a different spot. Because again I think he was completely confused. Idk why Gase played chess with a young QB against Belichick. It should have been a simple safe game plan with a focus on good blocking.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I had nothing but good things to say about him after the cowboys game.

He looked like a high school qb trying to play out the monday night.  Some very smart people have said it was the worst performance they have seen from a qb in nfl history.  How you wouldnt be concerned is mind boggling.

Everyone has bad games... As I keep stating the Offense screwed him over many times

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I had nothing but good things to say about him after the cowboys game.

He looked like a high school qb trying to play out the monday night.  Some very smart people have said it was the worst performance they have seen from a qb in nfl history.  How you wouldnt be concerned is mind boggling.

so your opinion blows like the wind... Got it...

• Thumb Down 1

Zone blocking scheme sucks,There i said it.  Yeah a few teams like denver made it work and for the run game fine but it is so reliant on reads and communication that one screw up means a guy comes totally free unblocked, not even slowed down. and that has happened to the jets alot. 

For me it is not rocket science even though nfl teams are trying to make it into rocket science.  You block the guy in front of you.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Zone blocking scheme sucks,There i said it.  Yeah a few teams like denver made it work and for the run game fine but it is so reliant on reads and communication that one screw up means a guy comes totally free unblocked, not even slowed down. and that has happened to the jets alot. 

For me it is not rocket science even though nfl teams are trying to make it into rocket science.  You clock the guy in front of you.

You need smart Olineman... it doesn't seam like there are any on this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

No doubt, but there’s no lineman on the Jets roster other than Edoga that you would consider worthwhile, I guess. They’re all castoffs except for Winters, who is a washed-up juicehead 

Idk, Jets have Kalil out there looking like he should be bouncing at a low budget strip club. I get it that it would be hard to make this unit look great - but the bar right now is competent professional and they arent coming close to even that.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

was searching for old articles too remind people how bad DBrick was when he was drafted and came across this

I know you’re an Edoga guy and that’s cool, and maybe he becomes good, but right now he’s brutal. Obviously, it’s not his fault that he’s a rookie forced to play OLT on a bad line, but I’m not giving him extra credit because he might be good someday. He’s a glaring liability at this point, and if he’s going to play this soon, Pollack and Gase need to find a way to hide him, or at least keep a TE to his side. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Watch the video I posted 2nd INT no one home. Good QB's adjust, run,take the sack, throw it out of bounds this happened how many times. 

No hate for Darnold and definitely no hate for Adams big fan of his, but when players do what Darnold did or didn't do Monday night the criticism is warranted. This is football and we lost 33-0. 

He’s far from a finished product. He was that before the season started and was going to be that way after the season. 

He, every Jet player and coach were schooled by the greatest HC of all time. 

I know many Jets fans don’t want to admit that but Belichick has been doing this to young and experienced QBs his whole career. Its no accident that was the 20th straight win by Pats vs 1st or 2nd yr QBs. Let’s not forget Belichick had 10+ days to gameplan for Monday’s game  

IF. IF Darnold continues to play like he did Monday night the rest of the season there will definitely be cause for concern. 

At this stage I’m not concerned which of course means nothing. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Idk, Jets have Kalil out there looking like he should be bouncing at a low budget strip club. I get it that it would be hard to make this unit look great - but the bar right now is competent professional and they arent coming close to even that.

Kalil has been shockingly awful. I get that Gase probably doesn’t trust Harrison to call protections, but given the amount of pressure Jets QBs are getting on the blitz, I don’t see how Kalil is helping you in that department either. If he’s not providing stability, they may as well play the younger, better athlete.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Kalil has been shockingly awful. I get that Gase probably doesn’t trust Harrison to call protections, but given the amount of pressure Jets QBs are getting on the blitz, I don’t see how Kalil is helping you in that department either. If he’s not providing stability, they may as well play the younger, better athlete.

I agree 100%

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly next man up. Ryan Kalil is a JD find so that may be the issue in not benching him or better yet retiring him again. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He’s far from a finished product. He was that before the season started and was going to be that way after the season. 

He, every Jet player and coach were schooled by the greatest HC of all time. 

I know many Jets fans don’t want to admit that but Belichick has been doing this to young and experienced QBs his whole career. Its no accident that was the 20th straight win by Pats vs 1st or 2nd yr QBs. Let’s not forget Belichick had 10+ days to gameplan for Monday’s game  

IF. IF Darnold continues to play like he did Monday night the rest of the season there will definitely be cause for concern. 

At this stage I’m not concerned which of course means nothing. 

Darnold being *that* horrible vs the Pats was panic-inducing, until you remember that Belichick did the same exact thing to Jared Goff last year in the Super Bowl with a much better supporting cast around Goff. This is one of those weeks where Gase should just burn the game tape and pretend it never happened. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly next man up. Ryan Kalil is a JD find so that may be the issue in not benching him or better yet retiring him again. 

I honestly don’t think Gase or Joe Douglas care about benching Kalil. Given that we know Gase was begging for a vet center since he first took the job, it would appear as though he simply doesn’t think Harrison is any good. I’d imagine the Hope was that Kalil would play himself into game shape after a few weeks, but now we’re at the point where they have to admit that he’s simply shot, which happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know you’re an Edoga guy and that’s cool, and maybe he becomes good, but right now he’s brutal. Obviously, it’s not his fault that he’s a rookie forced to play OLT on a bad line, but I’m not giving him extra credit because he might be good someday. He’s a glaring liability at this point, and if he’s going to play this soon, Pollack and Gase need to find a way to hide him, or at least keep a TE to his side. 

He's been as good as the rest of the players on this line.....which is not good. My only point is some of the expectations being put on him are unrealistic. Brick was the 4th overall pick and is revered in these lands yet he sucked balls his first two years and was a total liability in the run and pass game. This guy just played his first game as a LT. 

If I thought he sucked, trust me I'd let everyone know. Look no further than the Polite threads. I honestly think he'll pan out and believe it or not but I do have a reputation when it comes to the position over the years. Not here but elsewhere for the most part. FWIW

• Upvote 2

He's been as good as the rest of the players on this line.....which is not good. My only point is some of the expectations being put on him are unrealistic. Brick was the 4th overall pick and is revered in these lands yet he sucked balls his first two years and was a total liability in the run and pas game. This guy just played his first game as a LT. 
If I thought he sucked, trust me I'd let everyone know. Look no further than the Polite threads. I honestly think he'll pan out and believe it or not but I do have a reputation when it comes to the position over the years. Not here but elsewhere for the most part. FWIW

I trust your opinion - but like others have said the coaching staff needs to either coach these guys up more or find a better way to hide them.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

He's been as good as the rest of the players on this line.....which is not good. My only point is some of the expectations being put on him are unrealistic. Brick was the 4th overall pick and is revered in these lands yet he sucked balls his first two years and was a total liability in the run and pass game. This guy just played his first game as a LT. 

I heard the reason he dropped in the draft is because there is questions about how much he actually wants to play football. And in college he took plays off.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, RSJ said:

I trust your opinion - but like others have said the coaching staff needs to either coach these guys up more or find a better way to hide them.

No arguments here. Some forget how much we helped Shell as a rookie RT with Dozier and an extra TE lined up outside of him almost every play. Someone broke down the stat count and IIRC it was over 50% of the time he was getting help.

I was optimistic about Gase and his staff when they were hired.....not so much anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, RobR said:

No arguments here. Some forget how much we helped Shell as a rookie RT with Dozier and an extra TE lined up outside of him almost every play. Someone broke down the stat count and IIRC it was over 50% of the time he was getting help.

I was optimistic about Gase and his staff when they were hired.....not so much anymore. 

But Shell still is not good... so there is that. HAHA

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

He's been as good as the rest of the players on this line.....which is not good. My only point is some of the expectations being put on him are unrealistic. Brick was the 4th overall pick and is revered in these lands yet he sucked balls his first two years and was a total liability in the run and pas game. This guy just played his first game as a LT. 

I’m totally not questioning your opinion on Edoga and I’m not trying to pick on him unnecessarily. I think the board is tougher on him because he’s a Maccagnan draft pick and also because it’s kind of important that he pans out, given the paucity of young OL talent on the roster. If Edoga washes out, that’s a huge problem for the Jets and Sam Darnold, obviously. That he’s been brutal in the early returns sparks up some confirmation bias that Maccagnan’s last draft was as brutal as his prior four, especially with Quinnen Williams being invisible, Polite getting cut, and now Cashman getting abused every week. Forget Wesco and the injured CB. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

I heard the reason he dropped in the draft is because there is questions about how much he actually wants to play football. And in college he took plays off.

He dropped in the draft because he was 3" short. Measured just under 6'3" but he has the wingspan of someone 6'8". 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Pauline said that Edoga was diagnosed bipolar. I don’t know how that manifests itself on the field, but Pauline suggested it was part of the reason he dropped.

• Upvote 1

I’m totally not questioning your opinion on Edoga and I’m not trying to pick on him unnecessarily. I think the board is tougher on him because he’s a Maccagnan draft pick and also because it’s kind of important that he pans out, given the paucity of young OL talent on the roster. If Edoga washes out, that’s a huge problem for the Jets and Sam Darnold, obviously. That he’s been brutal in the early returns gets sparks up some confirmation bias that Maccagnan’s last draft was as brutal as his prior four, especially with Quinnen Williams being invisible, Polite getting cut, and now Cashman getting abused every week. Forget Wesco and the injured CB. 

I completely stopped drinking coffee because of Mac. Thats how bad he was.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m totally not questioning your opinion on Edoga and I’m not trying to pick on him unnecessarily. I think the board is tougher on him because he’s a Maccagnan draft pick and also because it’s kind of important that he pans out, given the paucity of young OL talent on the roster. If Edoga washes out, that’s a huge problem for the Jets and Sam Darnold, obviously. That he’s been brutal in the early returns sparks up some confirmation bias that Maccagnan’s last draft was as brutal as his prior four, especially with Quinnen Williams being invisible, Polite getting cut, and now Cashman getting abused every week. Forget Wesco and the injured CB. 

The board is tougher on him because they all want instant results from a third round pick who is starting at one of the hardest positions in the NFL. His first start at LT.

I get the Mac angle but that's not true here with all of the over the top homers. Most people here love every single draft pick, every FA signing, and every coaching hire. Yet they expect Edoga too play like Brick three years into his career.

It's gonna take a couple of years to wear the Mac stank off of this roster, hopefully JD gets it right. And Gase sucks.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pauline said that Edoga was diagnosed bipolar. I don’t know how that manifests itself on the field, but Pauline suggested it was part of the reason he dropped.

I never heard those rumors. Link?

58 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think many of us are writing darnold off.  I think we are a year and a half in and very concerned about the level of play.

Where exactly is the concern. Were you concerned last year when he played well in his last 3-4 games after coming back from injury? Were you concerned when he threw for 330 yards against Dallas and was named AFC offensive player of week? Besides Monday nights game against the best defense in the league please tell me specifically what concerns you in his 16 game career so far? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The funny thing about this video? As I said in another thread, people saying to run a slant don't know what they're talking about, because Belicheck loves to bait QBs into throwing it with his rain blitz vs. empty. Very first INT, it was a rain blitz vs. empty, and if he threw that slant that was run, it still would've been a pick. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

The board is tougher on him because they all want instant results from a third round pick who is starting at one of the hardest positions in the NFL. His first start at LT.

I get the Mac angle but that's not true here with all of the over the top homers. Most people here love every single draft pick, every FA signing, and every coaching hire. Yet they expect Edoga too play like Brick three years into his career.

It's gonna take a couple of years to wear the Mac stank off of this roster, hopefully JD gets it right. And Gase sucks.

I mean, Rob, he was bad at right tackle, too. He’s not ready to be on an NFL field right now.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, Rob, he was bad at right tackle, too. He’s not ready to be on an NFL field right now.

I thought he graded well in his second start. I don't see him giving up sacks left and right like we've seen from previous players throughout the league at the position. Did you watch Dillard last sunday night? He was a first rounder this year going against the same Dallas defense.

I like Edoga because he has skills that can't be taught. The "you either have it or you don't" type of sh*t. If he fails it won't be because of physical and performance limitations.....it will be solely because of what is between the ears. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was on Cimini’s podcast during a segment where I think Pauline thought they were in commercial. Pretty brutal 

It could explain why many said they had him off of their draft boards. I've done enough Edoga homework and never heard that mentioned before. Kinda odd that it wouldn't come out when everything else does.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's the weapons. It's the line. It's Frank Pollack. It's Jackson Pollack. It's Jackson Galaxy. It's my cat.

The simplest explanation for why it seems like Darnold sucks is that Darnold sucks. Just throwing it out there. I think that's what isn't being talked about enough. Everything else is being talked about plenty.

That might be the case, if in fact, Darnold sucked.  But he doesn't.  He's had some bad games.  The one on Monday was by far his worst but pretty anomalous as compared to his recent history.

Over his last 7 games he's had 9 TDs and 6 INTs (that includes his 0/4 game vs. NE).  His only two "bad" games in the past 7 were both against New England.  (Hint:  The Patriots defense has been absolutely elite since about midway through last season, including a Super Bowl where they gave up 3 points to Sean McVay's vaunted Rams offense.)

1115335046_ScreenShot2019-10-23at8_36_04PM.png.cef25d938c48c5ba0cef736106899152.png

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

It could explain why many said they had him off of their draft boards. I've done enough Edoga homework and never heard that mentioned before. Kinda odd that it wouldn't come out when everything else does.

I don’t think it’s ethical to reveal a prospect’s actual mental health diagnosis, per se. I remember with Randy Gregory, they knew he was straight insane, but couldn’t say so directly.