Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles comprision

RonaldJet

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

Brees was annihilating record books - averaging 5100+ yards and 37 TDs while completing 68% - while the Saints won just 7 games/season with him 4x over a fairly recent 5-year span. Were they losers because Brees wasn't a good enough QB? That's hard to sell. 

If Sam Darnold "annihilates" the record books next year, throwing for 5,100+ yards, 37 TD's (and less than half that in INT's) and completing 68% of his passes, be assured, I will not be critical of HIM.

If he throws for 2,900 Yards in 12 starts, missing 4 games, throwing 22 TD's to 17 INT's and a 60% completion ratio.......yeah, wins matter then for ol' Sam.

Seems kinda obvious for a QB in year 3.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Sam Darnold "annihilates" the record books next year, throwing for 5,100+ yards, 37 TD's (and less than half that in INT's) and completing 68% of his passes, be assured, I will not be critical of HIM.

If he throws for 2,900 Yards in 12 starts, missing 4 games, throwing 22 TD's to 17 INT's and a 60% completion ratio.......yeah, wins matter then for ol' Sam.

Seems kinda obvious for a QB in year 3.

I still think it depends. If we're losing games because he fell apart throwing crunch time picks? Sure. If it's because the D gave up the winning score a few times after the offense left the field with what should have been the game winning score? No. 

QB may be the most important piece on the team, but it is still a team sport not a QB sport. Case in point, whether he'd reached your prior minimum stat standards or the ones you just listed above, on most of those 2012-2017 Saints teams, they probably would have won just 4-6 games instead of the whopping 7 they did. Finger-pointing about the QB's inadequacies would happen, even though any QB could be crushing it like Brees in his prime and the team would still be losers year after year. 

He needs to show he was worth the #3 pick (or #6 pick and a trio of 2nd rounders), and so far he hasn't. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic about him just because of the circumstances of the team and coaching around him. Even still, I'd tend to judge him during and after each season rather than a line in the sand in advance when there are so many variables.