Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles comprision

RonaldJet

Lets look at their first two years (both third overall picks)

Bortles

635/1081 58% 7336 Yds 6.8 YPA 46 TD 35 INT

Darnold

473/793 60% 5507 Yds 6.9 YPA 34 TD 27 INT

Darnold is the next Blake Bortles IMO. Big athletic kid who can’t really read a defense. Bortles is a much more dangerous with his legs, and Darnold is slightly more accurate on short passes. 

I hope I’m wrong about Sam, but I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The kid is a likely bust and I’d advise all Jets fans not to get emotionally attached to him. He’s not going to be the QB of the team three years from now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 33
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RonaldJet said:

Big athletic kid

Sure

1 minute ago, RonaldJet said:

who can’t really read a defense.

Sure he can. Not masterfully yet and does get confused at the pre-snap/post-snap look at times as any QB does. It’s year 2. It’s looking about as on schedule as I could of hoped.

compounding a comparison made in another thread with an entire new comparison/thread isn’t the move. this is pointless.

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the possibility that Sam is a bust is simply not tolerable to fragile minds.

I watch Sam and I see a lot of good to work with

The way he improvises and throws on the run accurately really impresses me
Id love to see him with a stronger supporting cast and see what he does

I never saw that kind of talent in Sanchez 

What are your thoughts Carlos?   Do you think he sucks?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the possibility that Sam is a bust is simply not tolerable to fragile minds.

A bust is someone who really does next to nothing .  That's not the case with Sam he has shown some really good flashes.  Has he made mistakes?  Absolutely but considering all the garabge he has had to deal with I feel really good about Sam.  Look you aren't high on Sam and that's your right Im not gonna attack you for that.  You have the right to feel how you feel.  BUT can we at least wait until he has some better protection.  I have a feeling if we do indeed rebuild this line you are going to be pretty happy to Have Sam but then agaun maybe not

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

btw, peep the throw attempts. Bortles threw almost 300 more passes than Darnold. 

Presumably because Bortles played most or all of the teams 16 games both seasons.  Quick look, yup, 13 and 16 starts.

Darnold has 13 and 11 to-date.  There is a 5 game difference in those statlines not accounted for by the OP.

• Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Bortles

Darnold

Darnold is the next Blake Bortles IMO. Big athletic kid who can’t really read a defense. Bortles is a much more dangerous with his legs, and Darnold is slightly more accurate on short passes. 

I hope I’m wrong about Sam, but I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The kid is a likely bust and I’d advise all Jets fans not to get emotionally attached to him. He’s not going to be the QB of the team three years from now. 

Ronald - I've been as critical of Darnold as anyone.  But you're trying to hard.  Give it a rest.  Seriously.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A quarterback with a 9-15 career record and 37 TDs against 27 interceptions has been compared to Brett Favre and Blake Bortles today. Guess which comparison people thought was crazy!

This.

Honestly, I think the hyperbole in both directions shows exactly how terrified Jet Fandom is about Darnold.  The Favre comparisons doesn't read as confidence, it reads as hyperbolic terror......the fear the guy we're all so invested in, just isn't that great and maybe won't ever become great.  Hence the overcompensation and hype for what is, to-date, pretty inconsistent and meh production.

Everyone agrees we need to improve around him:  O-line.  WR #1.  RB (if/when Bell is traded).  A hard look at WR #2-WR#4.  TE is probably Ok with Herndon and Griffin.

But even so, as said elsewhere, no one will care in 10 years how tough Darnold had it, how many flashes he showed, or who his supporting cast or coach was.  He either WILL produce or he will not, that is all that will matter.  No one today cares that say, Tim Couch, showed flashes (he did), was in a tough spot on bad teams (he was) or the rest.  He's a bust, that is how history sees him.

Sam must play 16 games next year.  No Mono.  No injuries.  He must produce an average NFL QB level of production, ~4,000 yards, 28 or more TD's, 15 or less INT's.  And 8+ wins.  No matter who his teammates are.  If not, be assured, the bust label will start to get applied, by the wide world if not those here.

Perhaps instead of pretending he is Favre, we should be posting about how Douglas needs to GM to support him being average to start with.  I care far more about who will be playing O-line next year than do some silly hyperbolic " god he's so dreamy and gunslinger and Favre-like" puff posts.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I watch Sam and I see a lot of good to work with

The way he improvises and throws on the run accurately really impresses me
Id love to see him with a stronger supporting cast and see what he does

I've stated that I think with a better OL/CAST/TEAM he can get to middle of the pack NFL QB. 

And that after that the odds of him being a perennial top 10 QB? Less than 50% chance.... maybe 1/3.

Just now, Warfish said:

This.

Honestly, I think the hyperbole in both directions shows exactly how terrified Jet Fandom is about Darnold.  The Favre comparisons doesn't read as confidence, it reads as hyperbolic terror......the fear the guy we're all so invested in, just isn't that great and maybe won't ever become great.  Hence the overcompensation and hype for what is, to-date, pretty inconsistent and meh production.

Everyone agrees we need to improve around him:  O-line.  WR #1.  RB (if/when Bell is traded).  A hard look at WR #2-WR#4.  TE is probably Ok with Herndon and Griffin.

But even so, as said elsewhere, no one will care in 10 years how tough Darnold had it, how many flashes he showed, or who his supporting cast or coach was.  He either WILL produce or he will not, that is all that will matter.  No one today cares that say, Tim Couch, showed flashes (he did), was in a tough spot on bad teams (he was) or the rest.  He's a bust, that is how history sees him.

Sam must play 16 games next year.  No Mono.  No injuries.  He must produce an average NFL QB level of production, ~4,000 yards, 28 or more TD's, 15 or less INT's.  And 8+ wins.  No matter who his teammates are.  If not, be assured, the bust label will start to get applied, by the wide world if not those here.

Perhaps instead of pretending he is Favre, we should be posting about how Douglas needs to GM to support him being average to start with.  I care far more about who will be playing O-line next year than do some silly hyperbolic " god he's so dreamy and gunslinger and Favre-like" puff posts.

Overall, I agree with all of this.

One thing, and I wouldn't even fight you that hard on it, is that I'm not terribly worried about the wins next year.  Our schedule, today at least, looks much more difficult, and I don't think all the problems of this team can be resolved in one offseason.  So, I'll be looking for the same thing I'm looking for this year, that we didn't really get, and that's improved decision making.  YOLO Balls and throws to no one have to be all but gone, and a bad supporting cast isn't an excuse for this.  He needs to show he can do more than roll out, minimizing the decisions he needs to make, and throw to the one guy in his sight.  I don't really care about overall record if he does that.  Wins will follow good play, but it's gonna take more than a season to make up for just how bad a job Macc did.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Honestly, I think the hyperbole

yup. meanwhile the MVP is called a stupid ugly guy with an expiration date. and they say

"he aint won anything yet"  he's 16and ******* 2 carries that team since the day he stepped on the field.

but Sam is compared to Brett Favre while playing worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick and being a bottom 5 QB.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets723 said:

Im confused.  I said he isnt a bust.  I said I feel he will be a top 10 QB

I only quoted part of your post.  I disagree with your definition of "bust."  Bust is a term that's relative to investment.  Because we invested so much in Darnold, the expectation is significantly higher than just "A bust is someone who really does next to nothing."

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Bortles

Darnold

troll GIF

Just now, TeddEY said:

I only quoted part of your post.  I disagree with your definition of "bust."  Bust is a term that's relative to investment.  Because we invested so much in Darnold, the expectation is significantly higher than just "A bust is someone who really does next to nothing."

I was just being vague man.  I feel the same way.   I don't disagree with you.  

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I thought constant neg repping was considered trolling by the mods....

or am i just ignorant?

Who knows, he annoyed me so I dumped a few back on him.  Getting tired of getting negrepped for not walking the hyperbole line.  

Immature overreaction on my part and now I feel bad, i think I'll go remove them.

• Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A quarterback with a 9-15 career record and 37 TDs against 27 interceptions has been compared to Brett Favre and Blake Bortles today. Guess which comparison people thought was crazy!

I think they're both crazy.

We can argue all day about better supporting cast, better OLine, two different offensive systems in two years, seeing ghosts, Gase as a coach, the guy being only 22 years old, his turnovers in college, being forced to play with 4th string WRs, etc. but the answer is that we truly don't know how good or bad Darnold will be yet.  The only Favre comparison I'd make is that the "gambler" / make some amazing throws, commit some ugly turnovers style of Darnold is probably reasonable.  We've seen great and we've seen ugly.

We've also seen QBs here (Sanchez) who seemed to start off very well when he was surrounded by a great team and then his trajectory went south when the personnel around him degraded.  I would submit that Darnold could benefit from the opposite, and coming into the league and starting with a bad roster only to see it improve rather than degrade in his 3rd, 4th, 5th seasons.  But again, we won't know until we know.

• Upvote 1