Zone Blocking Lineman

BCJet

Not  much discussion of Hennessey ITT, surprising given he's apparently tailor made for a zone blocking scheme, and had an excellent combine. If we were to double dip OL in the first three rounds he would definitely be a target. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/3/2020 at 10:43 AM, Beerfish said:

This strategy is great if you have bill belichick or mike tomlin or some coach that is going to be there for 20 years.  In modern NFL coaches have short shelf lives so if Gase flops two more years and is gone then you're stuck with his system players and get to watch a really good player have a 10 year career that you could have drafted.

Understand where you are coming from but you also have to be all in on your coach. If you think he will fail get a different HC that you envision coaching for an extended time.

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, kdels62 said:

The big 4 are all great athletes. I don’t think Wills plays as great as his measurable but he’s still really damn good. 

Outside of those 4:

Lucas Niang (Injury prone)

Jack Driscoll (Lack of vertical strength)

Matt Peart (Raw and light)

Ezra Cleveland (ugliest pass sets)

Austin Jackson (I hate watching him play)

All of those guys are exceptional athletes with Cleveland being the most moldable. 

He's the Best Lineman of the top 4.

• Upvote 2

On 4/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, Beerfish said:

Which cuts your draft in half or worse and in the long run is a fools errand.

wow. Completely disagree.  You sound like Tannenbaum in the pre-Rex days, when nothing ever fit.  

Are you ok, buddy?

On 4/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, TheMo said:

Disagree a little here. Unless he is very dogmatic about (ala Andrew Thomas isn't a perfect ZBS fit so I won't take him even though he is an excellent prospect and will like thrive in it, just isn't the cookie cutter example). Having a pervasive strategy for the whole organization is what differentiates between the good organization and the bad ones. Granted I am applying my business strategy teachings here but even the Jets need a value proposition. If that is zone blocking for three offensive line, you want to invest mainly in pieces that fit that. I agree with you that there are those who are great prospects that kinda sit in the middle or might be even better in a man system (while still being excellent in ZBS). Joe Douglas needs to thread that needle which would dive into utility curves which I will not bore anyone with. 

Long story short. I disagree a tiny bit but understand your overall sentiment. Think we are all suffering some PTSD from that jackass Mac who blindly adhered to a normally sound strategy which led to the cluster that the team is in now. Flexibility in thought process is the key to any good company. 

this is a good post.  And I think (hunch) that JD will implement that kind of flexible approach.  Let's just hope that the days of Tannenbaum (who was freaking horrible despite our hatred for what followed) and the 2 dregs that we'll just call Mccagzik, Jr are behind us. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

wow. Completely disagree.  You sound like Tannenbaum in the pre-Rex days, when nothing ever fit.  

Are you ok, buddy?

I'm fine.

If you guys want to narrow the draft significantly because of adam gase then go for it.

Enjoy Josh Jones 3 years from now after gase has been fire and our new coach is not a zone blocking freak.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm fine.

If you guys want to narrow the draft significantly because of adam gase then go for it.

Enjoy Josh Jones 3 years from now after gase has been fire and our new coach is not a zone blocking freak.

You have to go by what your present staff needs and wants.  You don't draft based on 2 or 3 year out coaching change.  Nobody does.  It's not really feasible and it would never happen for any of 32 teams.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

You have to go by what your present staff needs and wants.  You don't draft based on 2 or 3 year out coaching change.  Nobody does.  It's not really feasible and it would never happen for any of 32 teams.

You draft the best players and let the coaches figure it out.

I'll go back to my example of Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.

I went back and watched Fant vs 49ers week 17 where he went up against Bosa most of the night. He didn’t do as bad as I thought he would. He looked like he understood his responsibilities and overall seemed like he could at least be on Beachum’s level. I am going to see which games he played in the playoffs and watch those too, where he had a lower Pff rating so maybe he was worse. Still don’t feel amazing about him starting at LT though, so hopefully there will Be a competition. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You draft the best players and let the coaches figure it out.

I'll go back to my example of Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.

Like I have said beer I think a happy medium is the way to go. I mentioned in a different thread that good GMs don't skew too strongly one way or the other. Pure scheme fit ends up being a cluster because you pass on great talent to find the perfect player with inferior overall talent. Pure talent and you end up with great zone cover corners that struggle in your coordinator's man heavy scheme. The balance I imagine is more nuanced at the top where elite talents can likely do well in multiple schemes. Don't get me started on Thomas v Jones (Thomas is just flat out a much better prospect who will do better in zone and leaps/bounds better in man when compared to Jones). As you get to the middle rounds you might skew more to scheme as prospects become more narrow in their strengths.

JD also should provide gase what he needs NOT what he wants. If he can't make it work he'll be gone. If Douglass is providing the team what it needs I imagine a new coach (assuming he is better than gase in this scenario) would likely be able to make it work.