Fanpost: 2024 Pre-Draft Open Letter to Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Woody Johnson

For anyone interested, I just wrote this, start to finish, today.

(It was done basically in one sitting, and I don't feel like proofreading, so apologies if there are any spelling or grammatical imperfections.)

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2024/4/23/24138626/2024-pre-draft-open-letter-to-joe-douglas-robert-saleh-and-woody

Dearest NY Jets decision makers,

Eighteen (long) years ago, in April 2006, we as Jet fans experienced one of the most successful, consequential drafts in team history when the franchise emerged with what would prove to be two of its most beloved and cornerstone players for the next decade.

As we all know, the selections were:

1.4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia

1.29 Nick Mangold, C Ohio State

In a similar vein, I am urging you at pick #10 overall, if the opportunity presents itself, not to forgo drafting the team's next franchise LT.

Joe, I think you would agree that LT is the most important non-QB position on the football field.

And at the LT position, the most important ability is not that of being able to finish a block atop a defender after having successfully "pancaked" him (as exciting as that may be), but that of being a trusted pass protector for the quarterback's blindside.

Of course, we all know Tyron Smith to be a dominant LT when healthy and hope he will be able to play a full 17-game slate this season at full strength.

However, prior to last season, in which Smith started 13 of 17 games (76.4%), this is a player who unfortunately had been sidelined due to injury for 34 of his previous 51, meaning that during that span, he was only on the field for 33% of the team's games.

As I'm sure you are aware, a team is only as strong as its weakest link. And with no disrespect to Carter Warren, the team cannot afford to go into the 2024 season without a legit plug-and-play option able to step in (if Tyron is forced to miss time) and protect our 40y old quarterback's blind side.

If one of the "big-3" WRs along with Fashanu falls to #10, that will surely present a tough decision.

I don't think you could go wrong with Nabers or Odunze (we know MHJ won't be there) either, but in the event you do pass on Fashanu at #10, I would urge you to re-enact a play from your own draft playbook: specifically, be aggressive (within reason) and consider moving back up into round One to take Fashanu if he were to fall even further.

While I do understand the temptation / appeal of adding a rugged "tone-setter" either at RT or on the interior of the OL, with all due respect, at #10 overall this would be a mistake and, I believe, a costly one at that.

Nothing changes the "tone" of a team's season more than losing it's quarterback on the 4th play of a game, which is what unfortunately occurred in front of our eyes on 9/11/23.

Simply put, we should, as one of your predecessors GM Mike Tannenbaum did on that fateful Saturday in April (eighteen years ago), take the player who, on tape, has shown himself to be the best pass-protecting LT in the draft at #10 and not look back....

And this player is Olu Fashanu.

Pick #10 is not the place to get "cute" by drafting a TE, even one who is obviously talented, fast and dynamic, because at the end of the day, he plays a position that is not valued at a premium in a salary cap era.

Even in a best case scenario, if both players "hit their ceilings", you are much better off with a player like Fashanu, to have a franchise LT at cost control for 5 years, than to have a top-5 TE whom you are already paying near-top of the market on his rookie deal.

For a TE at #10, there is essentially only downside, and minimal upside.

Also, as far as the "versatility" argument goes for the big boys up front, sure, it is a nice bonus if your offensive linemen can play multiple positions.

But it seems obvious that few things are more important (other than player health, quality coaching and high-level practice habits) for an OL's ability to develop cohesion than continuity and consistency, and that only happens when guys can stay locked in first and foremost on their primary tasks / roles / positions.

And, all other things being equal, it is better to draft a bona fide LT to play LT rather than a guy who profiles as a "guard who can play tackle".

Generally speaking, if you're looking for a singer, would you choose a professional singer singularly dedicated to his / her craft (fill in the name of your favorite singer / recording artist here), or an "actor who can sing" (of whom there are countless examples)?

In short, I like Fashanu for the same reasons I loved (no "20-20 hindsight" here) your selection of Sauce Gardner:

Multiple years of flawless to near-flawless production against quality competition in combination with elite pass protection traits that jump off the screen.

(I cannot speak to off-field or potential character concerns with Fashanu, but nothing has been made public to my knowledge that would negatively impact his draft stock.)

Like Sauce was 2 short years ago, Fashanu appears to be one of the "cleanest" prospects not only at his position but in the entire draft.

Fashanu-PFF

I don't wish to speak ill of any other prospects here.

But simply put, please don't mess around: lock up the next franchise LT at #10 overall.

Or if you prefer, draft one of the big-3 WRs at #10 to go with Garrett and big Mike.

Whatever you do, please do not bypass one of these players for a RT or interior lineman (or cash out your only top-70 pick for a TE).

As we saw back in '06, you can find pretty good interior linemen a bit later in the draft :)

Also, looking ahead to 2025 and beyond, if the team is able to successfully embark on the type of season we all hope and dream for, culminating in a legit playoff run, the team will be picking in the mid-to-late twenties -- or even early thirties :) -- in next year's 2025 draft.

Joe, you have been around the game long enough to understand that truly elite OT talent tends to go (very) early in the draft.

From that sort of disadvantageous position -- picking in the late twenties -- it would be extremely costly to vault into the top-10 to 15 in order to secure the team's LT of the future.

If things do play out where Fashanu makes it to #10, our LT for the next 10+ years can be secured this Thursday.

It worked out with D'Brickashaw in '06 when other GMs were reaching for the likes of RBs (Reggie Bush), safeties (Michael Huff, Donte Whitner), and an uber-athletic TE (Vernon Davis) in the top-10.

Thankfully, we're now back to having the best uniforms in the NFL.

Now let's get back to also having the best OL in the NFL like the one that led us to B2B AFC Championship games, your fanbase's last cherished memories of hope and glory and everything else which accompanies a deep playoff run.

Enough talking for now. Let's get this done on Thursday.

best,

NamathFreaksOutCallingAllegreFG

p.s. It's water under the bridge now apropos of you moving the kid now 3y later. But just to add some context here, I did feel compelled to pen this essay in which I tried to issue a kind of warning ahead of the '21 draft, where I laid out some facts and raised questions about the meteoric rise of one Zach Wilson during "draft season":

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

Please do the right thing on Thursday.

There is no point in sugarcoating last season, but looking forward to this season with at least a few remaining embers of genuine optimism :)

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Bronx said:

Joe Douglas and company will be fired after another disappointing season at 7-10 or 8-9. Rodgers will not play the full season. 

All negative all of the time....

23 hours ago, Bronx said:

Joe Douglas and company will be fired after another disappointing season at 7-10 or 8-9. Rodgers will not play the full season. 

If they don't fire Woody what the difference?   JD is no better than Mac and only marginally better than Idzik.  Based on his record, he's worse.

Saleh is more concerned about his handicap and JD hasn't shown anything. Below average in talent evaluation and free agent signings.  

The roster is better but it couldn't get worse..................

On 4/23/2024 at 7:24 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

For anyone interested, I just wrote this, start to finish, today.

(It was done basically in one sitting, and I don't feel like proofreading, so apologies if there are any spelling or grammatical imperfections.)

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2024/4/23/24138626/2024-pre-draft-open-letter-to-joe-douglas-robert-saleh-and-woody

Dearest NY Jets decision makers,

Eighteen (long) years ago, in April 2006, we as Jet fans experienced one of the most successful, consequential drafts in team history when the franchise emerged with what would prove to be two of its most beloved and cornerstone players for the next decade.

As we all know, the selections were:

1.4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia

1.29 Nick Mangold, C Ohio State

In a similar vein, I am urging you at pick #10 overall, if the opportunity presents itself, not to forgo drafting the team's next franchise LT.

Joe, I think you would agree that LT is the most important non-QB position on the football field.

And at the LT position, the most important ability is not that of being able to finish a block atop a defender after having successfully "pancaked" him (as exciting as that may be), but that of being a trusted pass protector for the quarterback's blindside.

Of course, we all know Tyron Smith to be a dominant LT when healthy and hope he will be able to play a full 17-game slate this season at full strength.

However, prior to last season, in which Smith started 13 of 17 games (76.4%), this is a player who unfortunately had been sidelined due to injury for 34 of his previous 51, meaning that during that span, he was only on the field for 33% of the team's games.

As I'm sure you are aware, a team is only as strong as its weakest link. And with no disrespect to Carter Warren, the team cannot afford to go into the 2024 season without a legit plug-and-play option able to step in (if Tyron is forced to miss time) and protect our 40y old quarterback's blind side.

If one of the "big-3" WRs along with Fashanu falls to #10, that will surely present a tough decision.

I don't think you could go wrong with Nabers or Odunze (we know MHJ won't be there) either, but in the event you do pass on Fashanu at #10, I would urge you to re-enact a play from your own draft playbook: specifically, be aggressive (within reason) and consider moving back up into round One to take Fashanu if he were to fall even further.

While I do understand the temptation / appeal of adding a rugged "tone-setter" either at RT or on the interior of the OL, with all due respect, at #10 overall this would be a mistake and, I believe, a costly one at that.

Nothing changes the "tone" of a team's season more than losing it's quarterback on the 4th play of a game, which is what unfortunately occurred in front of our eyes on 9/11/23.

Simply put, we should, as one of your predecessors GM Mike Tannenbaum did on that fateful Saturday in April (eighteen years ago), take the player who, on tape, has shown himself to be the best pass-protecting LT in the draft at #10 and not look back....

And this player is Olu Fashanu.

Pick #10 is not the place to get "cute" by drafting a TE, even one who is obviously talented, fast and dynamic, because at the end of the day, he plays a position that is not valued at a premium in a salary cap era.

Even in a best case scenario, if both players "hit their ceilings", you are much better off with a player like Fashanu, to have a franchise LT at cost control for 5 years, than to have a top-5 TE whom you are already paying near-top of the market on his rookie deal.

For a TE at #10, there is essentially only downside, and minimal upside.

Also, as far as the "versatility" argument goes for the big boys up front, sure, it is a nice bonus if your offensive linemen can play multiple positions.

But it seems obvious that few things are more important (other than player health, quality coaching and high-level practice habits) for an OL's ability to develop cohesion than continuity and consistency, and that only happens when guys can stay locked in first and foremost on their primary tasks / roles / positions.

And, all other things being equal, it is better to draft a bona fide LT to play LT rather than a guy who profiles as a "guard who can play tackle".

Generally speaking, if you're looking for a singer, would you choose a professional singer singularly dedicated to his / her craft (fill in the name of your favorite singer / recording artist here), or an "actor who can sing" (of whom there are countless examples)?

In short, I like Fashanu for the same reasons I loved (no "20-20 hindsight" here) your selection of Sauce Gardner:

Multiple years of flawless to near-flawless production against quality competition in combination with elite pass protection traits that jump off the screen.

(I cannot speak to off-field or potential character concerns with Fashanu, but nothing has been made public to my knowledge that would negatively impact his draft stock.)

Like Sauce was 2 short years ago, Fashanu appears to be one of the "cleanest" prospects not only at his position but in the entire draft.

Fashanu-PFF

I don't wish to speak ill of any other prospects here.

But simply put, please don't mess around: lock up the next franchise LT at #10 overall.

Or if you prefer, draft one of the big-3 WRs at #10 to go with Garrett and big Mike.

Whatever you do, please do not bypass one of these players for a RT or interior lineman (or cash out your only top-70 pick for a TE).

As we saw back in '06, you can find pretty good interior linemen a bit later in the draft :)

Also, looking ahead to 2025 and beyond, if the team is able to successfully embark on the type of season we all hope and dream for, culminating in a legit playoff run, the team will be picking in the mid-to-late twenties -- or even early thirties :) -- in next year's 2025 draft.

Joe, you have been around the game long enough to understand that truly elite OT talent tends to go (very) early in the draft.

From that sort of disadvantageous position -- picking in the late twenties -- it would be extremely costly to vault into the top-10 to 15 in order to secure the team's LT of the future.

If things do play out where Fashanu makes it to #10, our LT for the next 10+ years can be secured this Thursday.

It worked out with D'Brickashaw in '06 when other GMs were reaching for the likes of RBs (Reggie Bush), safeties (Michael Huff, Donte Whitner), and an uber-athletic TE (Vernon Davis) in the top-10.

Thankfully, we're now back to having the best uniforms in the NFL.

Now let's get back to also having the best OL in the NFL like the one that led us to B2B AFC Championship games, your fanbase's last cherished memories of hope and glory and everything else which accompanies a deep playoff run.

Enough talking for now. Let's get this done on Thursday.

best,

NamathFreaksOutCallingAllegreFG

p.s. It's water under the bridge now apropos of you moving the kid now 3y later. But just to add some context here, I did feel compelled to pen this essay in which I tried to issue a kind of warning ahead of the '21 draft, where I laid out some facts and raised questions about the meteoric rise of one Zach Wilson during "draft season":

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

Please do the right thing on Thursday.

There is no point in sugarcoating last season, but looking forward to this season with at least a few remaining embers of genuine optimism :)

Well... congrats! Got your wish dude. Fashanu wasn't my personal top choice but I'm truly glad to be bringing him in

• Upvote 1