2019 Injuries a Godsend?

So I was listening to the Sam Darnold interview & he was asked about no preseason games. He felt bad for guys that might be on the bubble & not get a chance to show what they can do. 

Last year, a lot of guys got opportunities & im sure the coaching staff has a much better feel for what they have here on the roster. I think CB & WR will be the toughest evaluation & will be interesting which guys end up on the practice squad. Guys like Hall, Cager & Huff. 

Gonna be interesting.

• Upvote 4

i don't think i'd call the injuries a god send although they did allow a lot of younger players to get in and see what they can do.  the big question is whether or not these younger players can keep it up and push the older guys out of the way.  from what i can tell trumaine and roberts were two players who were pushed by these guys.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't think i'd call the injuries a god send although they did allow a lot of younger players to get in and see what they can do.  the big question is whether or not these younger players can keep it up and push the older guys out of the way.  from what i can tell trumaine and roberts were two players who were pushed by these guys.

How many of the guys brought in by JD to play CB can make it? I have no idea, but I will guarantee you this. which ever of these guys comes out on top before the season starts will give a hell of a lot more EFFORT than we got from Johnson & Roberts! 
Effort is pretty damn important in NFL football. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

So I was listening to the Sam Darnold interview & he was asked about no preseason games. He felt bad for guys that might be on the bubble & not get a chance to show what they can do. 

Last year, a lot of guys got opportunities & im sure the coaching staff has a much better feel for what they have here on the roster. I think CB & WR will be the toughest evaluation & will be interesting which guys end up on the practice squad. Guys like Hall, Cager & Huff. 

Gonna be interesting.

Sorry but w/o the injuries (and mono of course) I think we were a contender for the post season last year so I can't buy into the godsend idea at all.  Irregardless.  :) 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

How many of the guys brought in by JD to play CB can make it? I have no idea, but I will guarantee you this. which ever of these guys comes out on top before the season starts will give a hell of a lot more EFFORT than we got from Johnson & Roberts! 
Effort is pretty damn important in NFL football. 

totally agree.  i'm not sure roberts issue was effort as much as it was just not enough skill to ply the position effectively.  i think we all know trumaine was a slug like wilky.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Gonna be interesting.

A few hours ago, I completely disagreed with you.  Now, with Mosley opting out, I see your point.  I can see the benefit to the playing time guys like Burgess, Hewitt & Cashman got last year.  

• Upvote 2

If Mosley hadn't been hurt last year and his Opt Out came as a surprise this year we'd be in a bit of trouble at ILB.  With both Mosley and Williamson out last year we had guys like Hewitt, Burgess, Cashman, etc. see a lot of playing time and all proved to be valuable to a degree.

I'm guessing Williamson and Hewitt are the starters now, with Burgess, Cashman and Onawausor backing up.