NFL Ratings Plummet in Chiefs-Texans Season Opener

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

no, it's awesome when you're watching a game to take your mind off the fact that you're laid off from work while your wife works part time at the winn ******* dixie and you got two kids and you're struggling to make ends meet and you're basically David ******* Duke because you're not out lobbying ******* CONGRESS on your fishing weekends to rectify the .03% more black people that are shot by cops (some of whom ARE black) as compared to white people

This is where the players resenting the fans really hurts them. I mean this is real life for a lot of football fans. Regular guys trying to pay a mortgage and save for their kids college. The professional athlete doesnt have much perspective on this. When you are that rich, its difficult to.

• Upvote 4

Just now, kdels62 said:

Not how evidence works. Right now there are a lot of factors that contribute to the weak (relative to last year but not relative to everything else on tv) ratings. Also the markets that most watched the game were all Midwest cities. The East and west coast had lower viewership numbers than the year before. The weekend will be telling and I don’t doubt the social aspect may contribute to the lower ratings but considering the competition for eyes from other sports and no preseason hype I think the NFL is fine.

Unfortunately no matter what evidence is presented the data will get painted in the eye of the beholder in this case. I agree they are fine and there are multiple factors affecting it, but it's a very good bet the social justice factor is the driving force. 

The ratings should be higher than ever, and people can say the NBA and NHL pull views away from the NFL, but that should be somewhat negated by the larger amount of people consuming entertainment right now. 

Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, and many shows airing on cable have reported record smashing highs of people watching their content, and they are all competing against each other. 

The same should apply to major league sports, but it isnt and their is a clear difference between what tv shows are presenting right now and sports. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Well, Chicago is a major football market and Green Bay has a large fan base, so it doesn't surprise me that the ratings are down for KC and Houston, plus the game got out of hand early 3rd quarter. And I think the Lakers / Rockets were on at the same time

Reining super bowl Champs and the #5 market in the country, that should have been huge.

A lot of people aren't watching with all the politics.  I won't watch it.   2 national anthems, the other stuff (trying to follow max and not go political).  I will take a pass for now.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

No part of my post is an opinion. And not sure if you've ever been in a barber shop but politics is usually a hot topic.

Perceieved failings....lol.

Laugh all you want, maybe scroll back up to my initial post and view the like/dislike ratio. 

That should tell you how the majority of people feel. But I guess in your mind that just means everyone who likes that comment is a Nazi.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not a matter of people tuning in for a bit and then turning the game off midway thru.  I'm sure some are doing that.  But the overwhelming majority just aren't tuning in to begin with, based on what the numbers seem to demonstrate.  The appetite for sports is not strong in the US across the board right now, for a multitude of reasons.

Do you know how the ratings are calculated? I am curious if they take into account tuning in and out.

I personally avoid everything but the game and the game talk. 

• Upvote 3