Jump to content

I want Penei Sewell at 2nd Overall


Philc1
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Top 10? Draft Sewell and sign Thuney we have easily the best OL in the entire NFL

I'm not as interested in picking through belly trash. He's the master of letting guys go a year before everyone else knew they were done. There are no shortcuts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

 

There's also value in the Jets creating a top 10 offensive line. Perhaps more value, with less risk. 

 

I am a big fan of the OL argument. Huge in fact. But it's not like it's a zero sum game with what we do with #2. We have a ton of picks in top 100. I think you can invest very significantly in the OL even with taking Fields at 2.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I am a big fan of the OL argument. Huge in fact. But it's not like it's a zero sum game with what we do with #2. We have a ton of picks in top 100. I think you can invest very significantly in the OL even with taking Fields at 2.

This — there’s an over-exaggerated false equivalence being made that failing to draft Sewell at #2 suggests under-investment in the OL. How many current playoff teams have used 2 or more high 1st round picks on their OL? Of the 2-3 you might find, then how many did so recently and/or before they’d secured their QB? I’m not sure there are any, let alone that this is some proven formula.

As far as the rest of the offensive cast for Fields (or Wilson or whomever), what is missing is the FA period, as though the entire team on draft day will be the same that it was during the 2020 season. Namely, as many as 4 “#1” type WRs are expected to become FAs, as well as multiple really good OLmen. 

If Douglas strikes out at WR in FA then the only targets are Crowder-Mims-Herndon and the only good OL starter is Becton. Then and only then is a QB taking over for Darnold with the 2020 lineup. The likelihood of this being the case in April are very low.  Far more likely is a minimum of one legit FA WR starter plus 2 (no fewer than 1) serious interior FA OLmen. Then a maybe-list beyond that will include one or more of RB, TE, and a stopgap/veteran QB under 38.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This — there’s an over-exaggerated false equivalence being made that failing to draft Sewell at #2 suggests under-investment in the OL. How many current playoff teams have used 2 or more high 1st round picks on their OL? Of the 2-3 you might find, then how many did so recently and/or before they’d secured their QB? I’m not sure there are any, let alone that this is some proven formula.

As far as the rest of the offensive cast for Fields (or Wilson or whomever), what is missing is the FA period, as though the entire team on draft day will be the same that it was during the 2020 season. Namely, as many as 4 “#1” type WRs are expected to become FAs, as well as multiple really good OLmen. 

If Douglas strikes out at WR in FA then the only targets are Crowder-Mims-Herndon and the only good OL starter is Becton, then and only then is a QB taking over for Darnold with the 2020 lineup. The likelihood of this being the case in April are very low.  Far more likely is a minimum of one legit WR starter plus 2 (no fewer than 1) serious interior FA OLmen. Then a maybe-list beyond that will include one or more of RB, TE, and a stopgap/veteran QB under 38.

Yes, also FA. An anticipated counter-argument would be, "How often do stud OLs in their prime become available in FA?" The counter-counter (lol), "More often than stud QBs in their prime."

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This — there’s an over-exaggerated false equivalence being made that failing to draft Sewell at #2 suggests under-investment in the OL. How many current playoff teams have used 2 or more high 1st round picks on their OL? Of the 2-3 you might find, then how many did so recently and/or before they’d secured their QB? I’m not sure there are any, let alone that this is some proven formula.

As far as the rest of the offensive cast for Fields (or Wilson or whomever), what is missing is the FA period, as though the entire team on draft day will be the same that it was during the 2020 season. Namely, as many as 4 “#1” type WRs are expected to become FAs, as well as multiple really good OLmen. 

If Douglas strikes out at WR in FA then the only targets are Crowder-Mims-Herndon and the only good OL starter is Becton, then and only then is a QB taking over for Darnold with the 2020 lineup. The likelihood of this being the case in April are very low.  Far more likely is a minimum of one legit WR starter plus 2 (no fewer than 1) serious interior FA OLmen. Then a maybe-list beyond that will include one or more of RB, TE, and a stopgap/veteran QB under 38.

This is it right here. We have to build a foundation for Fields, Wilson, or maybe Lawrence to develop upon. Sign guys, use our early picks and build for that guy we will take at 2. I don’t even know how JD is gonna spend $90 million without overpaying for high end guys. Get those guys AND draft well so that our QB at #2 has an immediate present and a future.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

 

everyone comes at me for Sewell but I wonder if the onus should be on QB at 2 people to show their work why picking QB high is such a great move 

usually you build the team then you get the rookie QB cheap and go for the super bowl 

 

 

Biggest problem I see with Sewell is that you can't play 2 LT's and the financial difference b/w RT + LT is too much to force one of them to move.   

I totally agree on the cheap QB, we'll see what happens with this year's playoffs but I think the highest salary cap % of a SB winning QB was in the 12-13% range.     

The cheapest QB's in the playoffs this year are Ravens, Chiefs, Bills which all rank near the bottom of the NFL.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Biggest problem I see with Sewell is that you can't play 2 LT's and the financial difference b/w RT + LT is too much to force one of them to move.   

I totally agree on the cheap QB, we'll see what happens with this year's playoffs but I think the highest salary cap % of a SB winning QB was in the 12-13% range.     

The cheapest QB's in the playoffs this year are Ravens, Chiefs, Bills which all rank near the bottom of the NFL.    

If the Jets can't pay one of their own all pros in 2026 they flip him for multiple draft picks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'm not as interested in picking through belly trash. He's the master of letting guys go a year before everyone else knew they were done. There are no shortcuts. 

What shortcut are we taking?  Drafting Becton and Sewell back to back years is the quintessential old school intelligent way to build a roster

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Biggest problem I see with Sewell is that you can't play 2 LT's and the financial difference b/w RT + LT is too much to force one of them to move.   

I totally agree on the cheap QB, we'll see what happens with this year's playoffs but I think the highest salary cap % of a SB winning QB was in the 12-13% range.     

The cheapest QB's in the playoffs this year are Ravens, Chiefs, Bills which all rank near the bottom of the NFL.    

And that’s a problem for 4 years from now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

No, I mean playing RT at all.  If I’m Sewells agent I tell the Jets to stay away, my client is a franchise LT and isn’t playing RT.  

Sewell has no choice but to play for us he already skipped a season because of corona 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Biggest problem I see with Sewell is that you can't play 2 LT's and the financial difference b/w RT + LT is too much to force one of them to move.   

I totally agree on the cheap QB, we'll see what happens with this year's playoffs but I think the highest salary cap % of a SB winning QB was in the 12-13% range.     

The cheapest QB's in the playoffs this year are Ravens, Chiefs, Bills which all rank near the bottom of the NFL.    

While there is still a difference, the gap is closing.

2nd highest paid OL in NFL is Lane Johnson, a RT.

4th highest paid OL is Trent Brown who plays both sides and was RT for Vegas this year.

I think the trend will continue to erode the gap between the sides.  Honestly, Becton looks like he was born to be a RT.  It's a shame if positional salary was an obstacle to fielding the best line possible, although I acknowledge it certainly was and still is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, kdels62 said:

Which contending team is trotting out 2 first round/ top 15 tackles?

Besides the last time the Jets were relevant and had 4x first round picks on the O-line? (Brick, Mangold, Faneca, Woody)

 

the colts 2x First Round picks on their OL

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

CLE.  Conklin and Wills.  Both top-10 picks.  One could argue it worked for them.

Not acquired through the draft by Cleveland. They didn’t spend the first round asset to get the player. They spent FA money to build their line. They didn’t take a chance using a high premium pick, they spent a boatload of money on an established talent.

 

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Besides the last time the Jets were relevant and had 4x first round picks on the O-line? (Brick, Mangold, Faneca, Woody)

 

the colts 2x First Round picks on their OL

I said tackles. Two of the guys on our 2009 OL were FA overpays. Let’s do that this year. Over pay Thuney, over pay Taylor Moton. Don’t wast our first round asset especially since we need a QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Not acquired through the draft by Cleveland. They didn’t spend the first round asset to get the player. They spent FA money to build their line. They didn’t take a chance using a high premium pick, they spent a boatload of money on an established talent.

 

I said tackles. Two of the guys on our 2009 OL were FA overpays. Let’s do that this year. Over pay Thuney, over pay Taylor Moton. Don’t wast our first round asset especially since we need a QB.

And like I said the last time the Jets were relevant both starting OTs were 1st round picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And like I said the last time the Jets were relevant both starting OTs were 1st round picks.

Cool. Factually correct but still irrelevant. Also Damian Woody was a first round center not a tackle. Again, don’t waste draft assets, get a young guy on a cheap contract under center and sign players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Conklin/Wills example is actually exactly what the plan would be if we go this route. Absolutely dominant.

I would love Sewell. He’s the sure thing of this draft and I don’t mind building on a strength and turning the line into an elite unit. It would make everything so much easier.

I really don’t think we’ll do it though. But it’s fun to think about us just blowing teams away in the trenches.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...