I want Penei Sewell at 2nd Overall

Philc1

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker has the best OL in the nfl and it did wonders for him after he was the worst qb in the league by every possible metric in 2019

Yes, I do think a great OL would help Sam a lot 

Cool. Except Darnold has yet to look as good as Mayfield looked his rookie year. This is Darnold’s best OL and he’s worse than ever. Stick a fork in him, he’s at best a guy that needs to be coddled, let someone else do it.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, Philc1 said:

Build the best offensive line in the NFL and stick with Sam.  Sorry, not the sexy move but it's the smart move.

So who plays RT? 

You’re taking a LT at #2 to then move him to RT? 

or you plan to move Becton to RT? 

Who is to know either can play RT let alone want to play RT. 

Wouldn’t  this move reek of Mccagnan continuing to draft DL because they are the best player available? 

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So who plays RT? 

You’re taking a LT at #2 to then move him to RT? 

or you plan to move Becton to RT? 

Who is to know either can play RT let alone want to play RT. 

Wouldn’t  this move reek of Mccagnan continuing to draft DL because they are the best player available? 

Becton played some games at RT in college, didn't he? I don't think he'd have any trouble moving to RT given he's a mauler of maulers.

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

Nothing that remotely addresses the offensive line could ever reek of Mike Maccagnan.

Great offensive linemen are a lot more valuable than great defensive tackles or box safeties. Sewell being the safest pick doesn't mean he isn't also the best pick.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Nothing that remotely addresses the offensive line could ever reek of Mike Maccagnan.

Great offensive linemen are a lot more valuable than great defensive tackles or box safeties. Sewell being the safest pick doesn't mean he isn't also the best pick.

CE2744F7-A3EF-403E-8E8C-52D7CD67ABC1.jpeg.33c47521f86347966156a20e66fdf480.jpeg

I flip flop regularly between Sewell and a quarterback, and likely will continue to. The nice thing is this time I like both ideas.

I think the thing that’s most appealing about Sewell is that it’d be nice to win some football games and have an identity. Becton is the best thing going on that offense right now and has allowed the team to be successful running the football. Sewell builds on that and helps make a situation better for a quarterback - dominant run game and better pass pro. 

We saw the leap the team took with Ferguson and Mangold and how long they kept the team competitive. I think with Becton and Sewell you’ve got an identity of a running football team that defensive fronts just don’t want to play against. Games can be closed out. Can plug and play running backs. Better situation for a quarterback.

Tennessee is built around their tackles - and when they lost one they drafted another in the first. San Francisco has always stayed invested in their tackles. Cleveland turned around this year after investing in two tackles. Dallas had a few years of success built around their line.

Sewell is a safer pick without a doubt. I think it works out - especially if they can flip down to 3 and pick up an extra selection - if there’s a plan to get another quarterback after you’ve created a better situation. And the problem is that you probably get knocked back a couple draft slots because the team is better. 

The nice thing is after all of Douglas’ time in Baltimore, he’s used to the idea of a franchise needing to find their quarterbacks when they’re not drafting from the top of round one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

I flip flop regularly between Sewell and a quarterback, and likely will continue to. The nice thing is this time I like both ideas.

I think the thing that’s most appealing about Sewell is that it’d be nice to win some football games and have an identity. Becton is the best thing going on that offense right now and has allowed the team to be successful running the football. Sewell builds on that and helps make a situation better for a quarterback - dominant run game and better pass pro. 

We saw the leap the team took with Ferguson and Mangold and how long they kept the team competitive. I think with Becton and Sewell you’ve got an identity of a running football team that defensive fronts just don’t want to play against. Games can be closed out. Can plug and play running backs. Better situation for a quarterback.

Tennessee is built around their tackles - and when they lost one they drafted another in the first. San Francisco has always stayed invested in their tackles. Cleveland turned around this year after investing in two tackles. Dallas had a few years of success built around their line.

Sewell is a safer pick without a doubt. I think it works out - especially if they can flip down to 3 and pick up an extra selection - if there’s a plan to get another quarterback after you’ve created a better situation. And the problem is that you probably get knocked back a couple draft slots because the team is better. 

The nice thing is after all of Douglas’ time in Baltimore, he’s used to the idea of a franchise needing to find their quarterbacks when they’re not drafting from the top of round one.

We can still draft a Qb with the Seattle pick. 

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I was just going to start a thread about Sewell, but figured I'd ask the question here.

What do you think we could get from Cincy if we can convince them we'll take Sewell at #2 (but really want one of the QBs) if they don't trade up with us?

A second and a third plus maybe an extra future pick is fair value on the chart for moving from 5 to 2. 

That said, Cincy has 0 track record of trading up as an organization, those trades at the top of the draft happen more for quarterbacks, and 5 is a little far for the Jets to drop if they’re chasing a quarterback. I think the Bengals trade is a pipe dream.

Really need Houston to beat the Titans somehow on Sunday. Miami sitting behind the Jets at 3 really puts a damper on the trade down options.

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Becton gave up 11 sacks this year, he could be better at rt 

Becton did not give up 11 sacks this year. He’s given up 7 sacks on 22 pressures.

For reference here’s a bunch of good tackles in their rookie years:

Lane Johnson- 11 sacks on 60 pressures

Garrett Boles- 8 sacks on 51 pressures

Taylor Decker- 5 sacks on 47 pressures

Trent Williams- 11 sacks on 46 pressures

Colton Miller - 16 sacks on 65 pressures

Tyron Smith - 8 sacks on 30 pressures

Ronnie Stanley -3 sacks on 27 pressures

In summation, your point is invalid. Mekhi doesn’t really struggle in pass protection. There’s no reason to move him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Mekhi Becton is a freak of nature having a really high quality year at LT. Leave him there. Watch the prosperity.

I am not against it, depending on what the options are.  But, if Sewell is the pick, he is a higher graded prospect than Becton was and Becton is the better run blocker, and Sewell the pass blocker.  It would only make sense to have Sewell LT.  

9 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I am not against it, depending on what the options are.  But, if Sewell is the pick, he is a higher graded prospect than Becton was and Becton is the better run blocker, and Sewell the pass blocker.  It would only make sense to have Sewell LT.  

Here’s the faulty logic behind taking Sewell. Becton’s performance this year is basically best case scenario for most first round LTs. In both pass blocking and run blocking Becton is above average and as I pointed out above his rookie year puts him in position to improve into a top LT in the league. If you take Sewell the probability is that he’ll have a worse first year than Becton, even matching Becton is unlikely. So you’re using the 2nd overall pick to get a player that in the short term performs worse than the 11th pick from the year before. The cherry is this- no matter how great Sewell is, he simply can’t ever be that much better than Becton. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Here’s the faulty logic behind taking Sewell. Becton’s performance this year is basically best case scenario for most first round LTs. In both pass blocking and run blocking Becton is above average and as I pointed out above his rookie year puts him in position to improve into a top LT in the league. If you take Sewell the probability is that he’ll have a worse first year than Becton, even matching Becton is unlikely. So you’re using the 2nd overall pick to get a player that in the short term performs worse than the 11th pick from the year before. The cherry is this- no matter how great Sewell is, he simply can’t ever be that much better than Becton. 

I’m not sure about that.  Becton was good, but he wasn’t that great.  

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Becton did not give up 11 sacks this year. He’s given up 7 sacks on 22 pressures.

For reference here’s a bunch of good tackles in their rookie years:

Lane Johnson- 11 sacks on 60 pressures

Garrett Boles- 8 sacks on 51 pressures

Taylor Decker- 5 sacks on 47 pressures

Trent Williams- 11 sacks on 46 pressures

Colton Miller - 16 sacks on 65 pressures

Tyron Smith - 8 sacks on 30 pressures

Ronnie Stanley -3 sacks on 27 pressures

In summation, your point is invalid. Mekhi doesn’t really struggle in pass protection. There’s no reason to move him. 

I said 7, someone corrected Me to 11 

He also missed 2 games with the sniffles or something 

Did those guys play 16 games? Cause it's not apples to apples to compare Becton 14 games to Trent Williams all 16 

Alot of guys on that list suck. Garrett Bolles for example 

Either way he's more like Trent brown than David bakthiari. 

The Jets are a left handed offense at the moment, it would be interesting to be able to run in either direction 

14 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I’m not sure about that.  Becton was good, but he wasn’t that great.  

I think you're forgetting that Becton performed well without OTAs and a training camp which puts him at a distinct disadvantage compared to the other rookie prospects discussed. I think he had an outstanding year considering the circumstances.

There is a strong group at OT in this year's draft class so with Becton already in place I think drafting Sewell is a luxury and a misallocation of draft and cap capital. The Jets should take their QB at #2 (or hopefully after a small trade down) and be down with it. Then they should target Jalen Mayfield late first/early 2nd and plug him in at RT for the next 10 years. Only 20 years old, he has tremendous upside, with top athleticism and footwork for a man of his size. In addition, he performed extremely well in the spotlight last year completely dominating his matchup with Chase Young. Mayfield is still green but can dominate in the run game immediately and give the Jets a chance to have an outstanding OL for years to come.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:53 PM, joewilly12 said:

Are you watching Justin Fields put on a show destroying Clemson. 

I honestly don’t think Fields will be an elite NFL QB. And even if he’s good after a year or two of development, he’s the type of player that will be good for a few years, lose some of his mobility, and not be the same great player ever again. A Cam Newton type of player. Dual threat quarterbacks just don’t tend to last that long in the NFL.

I think the smart move would be to let someone else trade with us to take him and get burned by the hype.