Grafting 2nd with Atlanta

Fordy

Welcome to JN.

I'm interested in trading to 4 for the right price.  If the Jets aren't set on one specific QB at #2, it's a nice place to land.  One of Fields (or Wilson if that's your flavor), Sewell or Chase will be there, not to mention a few other really strong prospects.  But I'm not sure Sewell is the best fit for reasons that have been covered ad nauseum in other threads (two LTs on one team).  If Sewell is the one that drops, another small trade-down could be there as well.

The question, or course, is what is the trade?  If it's something like a 1st, 2nd and 4th, it's at least discussion-worthy IMO.

• Upvote 1

I think trading down to 4 then trading down again is a possibility.  Say from 2-4 then from 4-8 with Carolina.  Depends. 

As for Sewell.  I just see no way that he is drafted by this team then forced to go play RT or asking Becton to move after he showed he was more than capable (putting it lightly) of manning the left side. 

To me selecting a tackle with our first pick is just a gross mismanagement of assets. Not to be negative but neither player would take well to the move as financially there is still a large drop off in compensation and the prestige of playing LT is something all good tackles want.  Look no further than whats going on in Baltimore where the team is going to be forced to move one of their top players due to him wanting to play LT and them already having a good LT.   Drafting Sewell would be using a top 5 selection to select a player that will either force out a guy like Becton or will force himself out in 5 years.  Not worth the draft capital in my mind with so many other holes to fill. 

I understand we need OL help but this system helps lesser OL thrive and I do believe we will be bolstering the line in FA (Linsley and moving McGovern to Guard).  This isnt to say we wont address OL in this draft i just find it unlikely its in the first 1 or 2 picks.  

• Upvote 3

My guess is Atlanta wouldn't be moving up given they will be able to draft one of Wilson/Fields/Lawrence/Lance. Lance may be a drop off for them, but fits their timeline better as they won't be able to move on from Matty Ryan or Julio Jones this year. Also since they have such little cap flexibility they are probably thinking they are in more of a "win now" mode than you'd guess for the team picking 4 overall. Also given their cap situation they likely aren't going to look to get ride of cheap draft picks. 

The other part of this if you want to trade back to 4 to get Sewell, he may not be there waiting for you. I could easily see Miami taking him at 3, so the Jets would have to be comfortable with that as well (which they should be b/c Fields or Wilson would be there in that scenario). 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think trading down to 4 then trading down again is a possibility.  Say from 2-4 then from 4-8 with Carolina.  Depends. 

As for Sewell.  I just see no way that he is drafted by this team then forced to go play RT or asking Becton to move after he showed he was more than capable (putting it lightly) of manning the left side. 

To me selecting a tackle with our first pick is just a gross mismanagement of assets. Not to be negative but neither player would take well to the move as financially there is still a large drop off in compensation and the prestige of playing LT is something all good tackles want.  Look no further than whats going on in Baltimore where the team is going to be forced to move one of their top players due to him wanting to play LT and them already having a good LT.   Drafting Sewell would be using a top 5 selection to select a player that will either force out a guy like Becton or will force himself out in 5 years.  Not worth the draft capital in my mind with so many other holes to fill. 

I understand we need OL help but this system helps lesser OL thrive and I do believe we will be bolstering the line in FA (Linsley and moving McGovern to Guard).  This isnt to say we wont address OL in this draft i just find it unlikely its in the first 1 or 2 picks.  

Obviously left tackles get paid more but to play devils advocate it isn’t as dramatic as a difference as it used to be. Fourth and sixth highest paid offensive tackles (annually) man the right side. 

I think the Sewell love is a little over the top...He's the number one tackle but I don't think the gap is larger enough to go crazy over he's not Anthony Munoz imo.  Would rather trade down further and take Slater or someone like Alija Vera-Tucker at 23.  Both players can play guard or RT.

I really think JD and Jets brass will be looking to draft a QB at #2. Obviously he will listen to offers but I don't see Darnold as having any future with the Jets and it seems like there is some actual trade value out there for him. I think the Jets take their favorite QB (Wilson or Fields) at #2 and trade Darnold. 

As far as a trade down to #4. I think the Dolphins would take Sewell at #3. I know many have Chase slotted to them and some say they would prefer a QB but, to me, looking at their O-line, I don't see how they can pass on premier LT prospect like Sewell. At #2 I would imagine the Falcons take their home-grown Georgia QB Fields. I actually have him ahead of Wilson anyway and the move up and selection would make sense. He can sit behind Ryan for a year or two and take his spot once the Falcons decide its time to move on from Ryan (or he retires). There's a potential out in his contract after the '21 season. 

Now, this trade leaves the Jets with Wilson at #4. And if they really wanted Wilson all along it would make a ton of sense and would be quite the shrewd move by JD. But it would also take quite a bit of foresight- knowing that Miami intends to take Sewell or Chase and not a QB, knowing that Atlanta wants Fields and not Wilson, being confident that Miami would not move down and let a team hop the Jets to take Wilson.  

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I think the Sewell love is a little over the top...He's the number one tackle but I don't think the gap is larger enough to go crazy over he's not Anthony Munoz imo.  Would rather trade down further and take Slater or someone like Alija Vera-Tucker at 23.  Both players can play guard or RT.

Why is that I wonder? Just curious. Sewell was the top non-QB prospect in the draft, EASILY, for a very long time. He was considered one of the best OT's to come out in years. He can play OG, RT, LT if you ask him. He has very few weaknesses, if any as an OT prospect.  He decides to sit out because of Covid- which really only the top prospects did- Chase, Rousseau, etc. and suddenly the gap is not that wide between him and Vera-Tucker or Slater? 

I think Sewell is a MUCH better prospect than either of those guys and I think those are great OT/OG prospects. Versatile, athletic, and probably make more sense for the Jets who have so many holes and already have a LT. But Sewell deserves the love and I'm expecting him to go in the top 5. If not to the Jets or Dolphins, then to the Bengals at 5.  

3 hours ago, derp said:

Obviously left tackles get paid more but to play devils advocate it isn’t as dramatic as a difference as it used to be. Fourth and sixth highest paid offensive tackles (annually) man the right side. 

True, I cant argue with that.  I think its more the stigma is still attached to it.  LT is the premiere position and I think that plays a big part into it too. 

52 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

True, I cant argue with that.  I think its more the stigma is still attached to it.  LT is the premiere position and I think that plays a big part into it too. 

Oh absolutely. I think they could make it work, have an absolutely deadly outside zone game for a good chunk of time, basically build an offense around that, and pay both well if they went that route. It’s almost the easiest, safest path to being competent on offense. They’d be physically dominant, easier to be effective with play action and slowly bring a quarterback along.

I absolutely get the questionable asset allocation and potential financial issues, too, and don’t think they do it. But it is interesting to continue building that strength.

13 hours ago, derp said:

Oh absolutely. I think they could make it work, have an absolutely deadly outside zone game for a good chunk of time, basically build an offense around that, and pay both well if they went that route. It’s almost the easiest, safest path to being competent on offense. They’d be physically dominant, easier to be effective with play action and slowly bring a quarterback along.

I absolutely get the questionable asset allocation and potential financial issues, too, and don’t think they do it. But it is interesting to continue building that strength.

Yea I think in terms of how to effectively help the offense building the OL is going to be paramount.  But like we said investing a top 10 pick in a position, where we essentially just invested a top 10 pick (11th and both are technically LT) is going to be putting too many eggs in one basket for a team with so many needs. Especially when they are poised to probably sign one of the top FA OL (Linsley most likely).  I think they definitely address OL in this draft to help build a pipe line if not add another viable starter at either G or T, I just dont believe it'll be in the first round or even the first 2 rounds.   I think those will go to shoring up other areas of big needs like WR or EDGE, also Pitts is heavily in the conversation as maybe the drafts most versatile weapon.