Betty’s Pre Ides of March Musings

A week has gone by and there have been plenty of rumors and information flying about, mostly about QBs.  I’m beginning to think Wilson will be our guy for 2021.  Watson is still a dream that is not likely to occur.  If I’m Douglas I wouldn’t offer more than #2, #34 and next year’s second, which Houston will likely not take.  Unless Casario is dead set on replacing Watson with Wilson (and only Wilson) he will take more of the Phins.  If the rumors about interest in Darnold is relatively high (San Francisco, Chicago and Carolina) I think Douglas can get more than a second for him.  

Free Agency

I still think Douglas will make an early move to sign Linsley.  After that he goes after an edge.  I don’t think he’ll go nuts in trying to sign Shaq Barrett, even if he were to make it to free agency.  Ditto Bud Dupree who will likely command in the $13-15mm range.  More likely he will sign a guy like Yannick Ngakoue to a one year $8mm deal.  If I Yannick I would take the gamble that Saleh’s defense could bring out the best in him and set him up for a huge payday in 2022.  Cornerback signings will be difficult.  I would resign Poole at $4.5mm for one year and add Ron Darby from the WFT.  Of course Richard Sherman and K’Waun Williams are possibilities.  I can’t see Douglas leaving round 3 without drafting a corner.  I’m hoping he makes a sincere effort to sign Jonnu Smith to shore up the TE position.  I have no idea who he’s targeting at RB but it will be someone for a low one year deal.  I don’t think he would entertain a $20mm signing of Allen Robinson even if he becomes available.  It’s more likely he would sign both Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel and Kendrick Bourne.

Draft

It’s looking like Douglas won’t trade out of #2 but that doesn’t mean he won’t be wheeling and dealing throughout the draft.  For the sake of this mock I have him trading Darnold to the Niners for #43 and a third rounder next year.  In addition he trades #28 and #86 to KC for #31 and #60.  Lastly he trades #34 to Philly for #37 and #84.  That’s two firsts, three seconds and two thirds and a fourth.  My ADD won’t allow me to go past round four although I would love for him to draft Ben Mason, RB from Michigan in a later round.

• #2 - ZACH Wilson, QB
  • #31 - Kadarius Toney, WR
  • #37 - Jayson Oweh, Edge
  • #43 - Asante Samuel, CB
  • #63 - Quinn Meneirz, G/C
  • #66 - Javante Williams, RB
  • #84 - Walker Little, OT
  • #107 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR

NOTE: Keep an eye on the Saints upcoming potential cuts or trades of Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk.  Together they would lower their cap by $21mm.  Douglas could try to swing deals for either for third rounders.

• Upvote 1

Dupree coming off an injury could be a discount. Still young, I think JD wants young guys with upside and doesn’t want one year deals moving forward. I think all the one year pacts a year ago were to set up the cap for this off season. We need a foundation of quality guys signed long term.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Dupree coming off an injury could be a discount. Still young, I think JD wants young guys with upside and doesn’t want one year deals moving forward. I think all the one year pacts a year ago were to set up the cap for this off season. We need a foundation of quality guys signed long term.

I would love a guy like Dupree but I think he will be too expensive.  Per Spotrac his market value will be around $18mm per.  The only one year deal I suggested was Yannick because he’s too risky to sign to a multi-year deal.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Free Agency

I still think Douglas will make an early move to sign Linsley.  After that he goes after an edge.  I don’t think he’ll go nuts in trying to sign Shaq Barrett, even if he were to make it to free agency.  Ditto Bud Dupree who will likely command in the $13-15mm range.  More likely he will sign a guy like Yannick Ngakoue to a one year $8mm deal.  If I Yannick I would take the gamble that Saleh’s defense could bring out the best in him and set him up for a huge payday in 2022.  Cornerback signings will be difficult.  I would resign Poole at $4.5mm for one year and add Ron Darby from the WFT.  Of course Richard Sherman and K’Waun Williams are possibilities.  I can’t see Douglas leaving round 3 without drafting a corner.  I’m hoping he makes a sincere effort to sign Jonnu Smith to shore up the TE position.  I have no idea who he’s targeting at RB but it will be someone for a low one year deal.  I don’t think he would entertain a $20mm signing of Allen Robinson even if he becomes available.  It’s more likely he would sign both Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel and Kendrick Bourne.

The interesting thing about Barrett is that if he gets tagged, then Chris Godwin doesn't.  It's possible TB will get one signed long-term and tag the other, but there's a chance that at least one of them would become a UFA.  In either case, they should be a priority target for the Jets.  I like Robinson but I think CHI will probably tag him so I would spend on Godwin if he slips through the cracks.

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

A week has gone by and there have been plenty of rumors and information flying about, mostly about QBs.  I’m beginning to think Wilson will be our guy for 2021.  Watson is still a dream that is not likely to occur.  If I’m Douglas I wouldn’t offer more than #2, #34 and next year’s second, which Houston will likely not take.  Unless Casario is dead set on replacing Watson with Wilson (and only Wilson) he will take more of the Phins.  If the rumors about interest in Darnold is relatively high (San Francisco, Chicago and Carolina) I think Douglas can get more than a second for him.  

Free Agency

Draft

It’s looking like Douglas won’t trade out of #2 but that doesn’t mean he won’t be wheeling and dealing throughout the draft.  For the sake of this mock I have him trading Darnold to the Niners for #43 and a third rounder next year.  In addition he trades #28 and #86 to KC for #31 and #60.  Lastly he trades #34 to Philly for #37 and #84.  That’s two firsts, three seconds and two thirds and a fourth.  My ADD won’t allow me to go past round four although I would love for him to draft Ben Mason, RB from Michigan in a later round.

• #2 - ZACH Wilson, QB
  • #31 - Kadarius Toney, WR
  • #37 - Jayson Oweh, Edge
  • #43 - Asante Samuel, CB
  • #63 - Quinn Meneirz, G/C
  • #66 - Javante Williams, RB
  • #84 - Walker Little, OT
  • #107 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR

NOTE: Keep an eye on the Saints upcoming potential cuts or trades of Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk.  Together they would lower their cap by $21mm.  Douglas could try to swing deals for either for third rounders.

I'm with you on the Free Agency moves. Although I'll say that Yannick won't come that cheap.  I think Lafleur, Saleh and Ulbrich will want guys that they are familiar with and that fit the system: Sherman, K.Williams, Blair, Juszczyk, Bourne, Tartt, Witherspoon all come to mind, all 49ers. Keanu Neal from the Falcons, who is familiar with Ulbrich would make a ton of sense to fill the SS position.  Samuel is a good fit. So is Yannick but again he won't come cheap. I think odds are the Jets sign a mid level vet like Blair, resign JFM, and draft an Edge at 23 or 34. We will then see them try to develop Phillips. JFM, Huff, Zuniga and the Rookie as Edge rushers off the weak and strong sides. 

As far as the draft. I'm a fan of Fields over Wilson but I do think the Jets take a QB. I like Toney but prefer Marshall, Jr. if he is there. Just a preference. I like Oweh but again, prefer Phillips at that point. If he's gone, I'd wait and take Pat Jones in Rd. 3, who I love. Maybe even someone like Dayo Odeyingbo in Rd. 4. 

Asante Samuel is primarily a man-over CB destined to play Nickel/slot in the NFL. I can see him transitioning to Saleh's defense and the Jets having a need if they don't bring back Poole...but I can't imagine JD taking him in Rd. 2 with all the other options he would probably have at that point in the draft. Someone like Adebo later on makes a lot of sense. Meinerz and all the other picks are solid. Kudos. My only surprise would be that JD wouldn't take an athletic ILB or OLB for the Wide Nine that the Jets are surely going to run. The LB corps is kind of a mess and most of the guys are not only FAs but aren't great fits for the new scheme.  

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I would love a guy like Dupree but I think he will be too expensive.  Per Spotrac his market value will be around $18mm per.  The only one year deal I suggested was Yannick because he’s too risky to sign to a multi-year deal.

Yeah $18 is crazy

There are a handful of teams with a ton of Space you very well may pay that

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Edit: @David Harris didn't mean to qoute you

I like Linsey, however his stock is at its apex. He has no where to go but down at this point as far as on field production coming off his All-Pro and Pro-Bowl year. If we're paying him off last year then that contract can quickly become scary. We'd have to reach a middle ground that favors towards Linsey. Whether he performs up to his contract or not, what's good about him is that he's durable. Didn't miss a game uptil this year.

Plus we must also consider how much resources we're putting into the OL. We'll have a C making $10 mil with a RG McGovern and RT Fant making $10 each themselves.