Draft Offensive Lineman

TMAC

22 hours ago, football guy said:

Looks pretty good to me. I think Darrisaw will go earlier, but I do see Jenkins and AVT potentially being in our wheel house. 

The players I definitely see going in round 1: T Penei Sewell, T/G Rashawn Slater, T Christian Darrisaw, T/G Teven Jenkins, G/T Alijah Vera-Tucker. After them it gets a little murky. 

One of those Day 2 targets will go round 1. I'm not sure which one, but I wouldn't rule out Eichenberg to the Colts. They've done a lot of work on him and it's possible they trade down and take him. Wouldn't shock me to see them go DE in round 1, move up for Eichenberg in round 2 if he was within reach either. 

Im def seeing the the Jets trading up making more and more sense as you @football guy mentioned. If they are focused on a lineman at 23 we are sitting behind Indi and Tenn who could take a lineman. I don't think the Steelers trade up often but they are right behind us. 

You think theres any chance they move up for Jenkins or Darrishaw ? Darrishaw obv shouldn't be there but with all the QB's taken someone has to drop. Not sure if he works at RT though. Honestly is there any pure RT guys? I love Jenkins but I keep seeing some say he could be a guard which kind of kills his value. AVT has played guard too. 

Separetly Cosmi isn't talked about but I feel like he could be taken before us. Him and the Colts make some sense. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Jetty said:

Our 2nd pick in the first will 1000% be a OL. 

I give it about a 1 in 3 chance. Maybe less. The draft would have to unfold just-so (e.g. all the 1st round corners & edge rushers off the board), or someone special slipping way further than expected, for that to be the pick there.

I think he sees (or will see) the draft as too deep on the OL, and the drop-off too steep at other impact positions, for him to go OL at #23. 

He's probably not taking a WR that early either, unless it's a slot guy to take over for Crowder (getting more snaps as the season goes on, and then starting next year).

The Jets' 2021 OL, barring injury or someone unexpected emerging, whether you like it or not:

• LT: Becton
  • LG: competition winner among the three $4-7MM vets + Clark
  • C : McGovern
  • RG: rookie at pick #34, unless he looks so terrible early-on
  • RT: Fant

I would be surprised to see a second OL pick before day 3. 

The sequence may shift based on who's there when we're on the clock, but the Jets' 5 picks in rounds 1-2 will probably be: QB, CB, G, TE, EDGE or OLB (5 of these 6). Maybe it'll be EDGE or OLB at #23, maybe some other position outright (slot WR, RB), but I don't think even they know 100% what they're doing past pick #2 yet. There'll also be trade up/down opportunities that don't present themselves until the draft is well underway.

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, bitonti said:

They have a premium pick qb and are going to surround him with Becton and 4 bums 

JD thinks feeney and Fant are just fine 

Wasn't the Jet's OL playing better towards the end of the season? I definitely want them to draft OL in the first few rounds, they obviously need it as much or more than any position, but it looked to me like the OL had improved a bit by years end, no?

2 hours ago, Curtis Martian said:

Wasn't the Jet's OL playing better towards the end of the season? I definitely want them to draft OL in the first few rounds, they obviously need it as much or more than any position, but it looked to me like the OL had improved a bit by years end, no?

Not really. Becton got his lunch ate by myles Garrett week 16. Darnold took the type of hits that would separate Zach wilsons arm from his body 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I give it about a 1 in 3 chance. Maybe less. The draft would have to unfold just-so (e.g. all the 1st round corners & edge rushers off the board), or someone special slipping way further than expected, for that to be the pick there.

I think he sees (or will see) the draft as too deep on the OL, and the drop-off too steep at other impact positions, for him to go OL at #23. 

He's probably not taking a WR that early either, unless it's a slot guy to take over for Crowder (getting more snaps as the season goes on, and then starting next year).

The Jets' 2021 OL, barring injury or someone unexpected emerging, whether you like it or not:

• LT: Becton
  • LG: competition winner among the three $4-7MM vets + Clark
  • C : McGovern
  • RG: rookie at pick #34, unless he looks so terrible early-on
  • RT: Fant

I would be surprised to see a second OL pick before day 3. 

The sequence may shift based on who's there when we're on the clock, but the Jets' 5 picks in rounds 1-2 will probably be: QB, CB, G, TE, EDGE or OLB (5 of these 6). Maybe it'll be EDGE or OLB at #23, maybe some other position outright (slot WR, RB), but I don't think even they know 100% what they're doing past pick #2 yet. There'll also be trade up/down opportunities that don't present themselves until the draft is well underway.

If we pick Creed, we can kick McGovern to G and the line and line depth looks a whole lot better. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

If we pick Creed, we can kick McGovern to G and the line and line depth looks a whole lot better. 

I’m sure they could. I don’t see it happening because - if this offseason has shown anything - he seemed focused on building the whole team piece by piece, not position group by position group, and certainly not offense and then defense. He also seemed very non-omg regarding the team’s OL, not even making an offer to any of the 4 best FA linemen. 

By now? Douglas a GM who sees his OL as no less than 4/5 complete, at least for the upcoming season. Worst case he feels he has an OL he can go into the season with on week 1 — he’s got 2 (cheap) starting guards and a veteran borderline-starter backup. Personally, I’d have preferred he upgraded better than this, but he didn’t.

This says to me that I don’t think he sees the position group as nearly the emergency that many fans feel it is.

At 23/34 he’ll look at which is the better overall roster duo not merely which yields the better OL prospect. I don’t have any of these guys rated personally so I’ll take your word for who’s better than whom. But just talking individual player rankings, and I’m admittedly exaggerating here to make a point, if it’s our pick and he sees:

• One CB left with an 8.2 grade; next-best CB has a 7.0 grade; next-best one after that 6.3
  • An EDGE with a 7.8 grade; next-best EDGE has 7.4; next-best one after that 6.4
  • Best iOL left (whether G or C) with a 7.9 grade; there are 6 others with grades from 7.1 to 7.5.

then in this case I don’t think he’s taking an iOL at 23. He’ll see the better team is with a corner or an edge that would’ve been gone by #15 in other drafts that don’t have 5 QBs going early, plus a G at #34 that isn’t such a steep of a downgrade as one he’d get at 23.

I still expect an OL pick by #34, but will not be at all surprised if he trades down before taking one a little later in round 2, or even putting it off to round 3.

What he’s done points to a guy who sees himself as already having a worst-case starting OL he’d at least tolerate, and wants to take advantage of the draft’s depth at this position group rather than rushing to the podium to draft the best OL prospect he can after #2.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barton said:

I think Sperm and Bit are right. Douglas probably thinks the Oline just needs 1 pick in the first 3 or 4 rounds and not 2.

I think Douglas is wrong, obviously.

I don’t think the line’s as bad as Bit does (though I also don’t think it’s as good as Douglas does). 

• Better health (I hope)
  • Better coaching (again I hope, but easier to take on faith)
  • A QB who’ll hopefully get rid of the ball (big hope; Wilson likes to hold it & throw deep)
  • A QB who can move up in or effortlessly roll out of the pocket without it being a special occasion
  • Another year of the line’s familiarity with each other (not the equivalent of 5 strangers meeting in the parking lot to start the season due to covid and 4 new faces, and then expecting them to zone block in unison like a moving wall, as though they’ve practiced together for years)
  • Another year of experience from their only returning premiere talent lineman
  • A simpler offense that’ll involve the TE and especially the backs instead of forcing almost everything to WRs’ deeper routes, requiring the line to hold its blocks longer
  • Presumably at least a day 2 draft pick, possibly last year’s mid-rounder showing he’s more than a wasted roster spot, and another experienced veteran starter; collectively the whole should be greater than the sum of the parts.

Even if it’s not elite - and no one expects it to be that - even if they didn’t change the day-one starting personnel at all (however unlikely) they should seem improved enough from last year you’d think they just had a noticeable influx of talent.