What is the real answer?

15 hours ago, undertow said:

This sounds good but how does that explain getting gashed in the run game with ease week after week?  Our front 7 is not young it's full of veterans who are supposedly good.  If all the problems were broken coverages in the secondary I would buy the excuse of youth.

This is my biggest question with respect to our defensive "scheme".  We can talk about cover 3 or whatever on the back end, but WRs arent killing us and we've had decent CB play.  I get that inexperience at LB and safety leads to the issues with covering TEs. But what on earth is happening vs the run???

Both QW and Foley were excellent run defenders, Foley in particular has been an ELITE run stopper the past 2 seasons, and yet now we cant stop anyone?  Is there a specific technique that is being taught that is negating his ability to make plays in the run game?  Im aware that the general theme of the defense is to get upfield vs take on blockers like in a traditional 2-gap system, but does Saleh not see that penetrating isnt working?

Its insane to me that we have players like Foley, Phillips, Blair, and QW who are all excellent run defenders, along with CJ Mosely, and yet we cant stop the run whatsoever.  The reporters should ask saleh.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

The first Eagles drive was 17 plays and took nearly 9 minutes ... that had nothing to do with the offense.

Yes, the three and out that followed was bad. But at the same time let's not paint that the D suddenly showed up after half time. 

I did find it odd that this week we had a strong offense in the first half and crap in the second half ... usually it's been the other way around. One of these weeks we might get a full 60 minutes out of them. Maybe.

if the offense showed up and matched the score after that first drive they would have maintained the pace.  plus they would've given the defense a little bit of a rest.  i'm not saying the defense didn't play poorly, they did but they also tightened up a bit in the second half and they might've pulled the game out if the offense continued to perform as it well as it did in the first half.

I like the job Douglas is doing, not perfect but a least hope for the future.
Salas on the other hand is over his head big time. He preaches all gas no brake but in reality he is timid.
I had the opportunity to sit in the Coaches Club for the Titans game. The Jets hadn’t won a game yet and nobody expected them to beat Tennessee.
Just before halftime with little time remaining we get the ball back and take a knee. On the way to the locker room I yell at Salas,
Use your timeouts Coach
He looked up at me with a wounded look in his eyes.
That was not wat I expected.
Yesterday was the first time I actually saw him getting fired up.
But we get the ball with 19 seconds left in the half, and we proceed to take a knee.
Maybe we should try to do something at that point, I know it could lead to a turnover or even a pick 6 but guess what WE SUCK.
Try something different the worst thing that can happen is we lose.
I think the players feel the same way judging by how flat they played in the 2nd half.
BTW yesterday I shouted use your timeouts again from my seats upstairs but he didn’t hear me

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I had the opportunity to sit in the Coaches Club for the Titans game. The Jets hadn’t won a game yet and nobody expected them to beat Tennessee.
Just before halftime with little time remaining we get the ball back and take a knee. On the way to the locker room I yell at Salas,
Use your timeouts Coach
He looked up at me with a wounded look in his eyes.
That was not wat I expected.

I was at a game and yelled "Bobby Salas I don't like your beard" and he looked up at me with tears in his eyes. Probably why we lost that one. 

The team looks this bad because they don't have enough talent on defense. This is a scheme that requires a dominant pass rush, very strong communication, and good team speed. Currently, we lack all 3 things. The team isn't getting enough penetration up front, the linebackers are too slow to react and don't have enough speed to cover the gaps that our wide front is vulnerable to, and the safeties have been pure trash for most of the year.

Part of this is still on coaching. Against the Eagles and pretty much every game, I've seen a number of instances where guys don't switch off properly, which experienced players in the system are more used to. We're also getting slaughtered on the rub routes and trips formations in my opinion. The league knows how to play against the system, so a poor imitation of it is going to get trounced.

I'm not saying Ulbrich is not making mistakes or anything, but I think the talent is so obviously poor at a linebacker and safety especially that it's making us look very bad. We really basically need Lawson to come back healthy and still probably need another edge in the rotation.

Overall, both systems are supposed to work together to get a lead, control clock with the running game, and have the pass rush play against teams that need to pass because they are behind. But most of this year, we've been slow to start on offense and our defense can't stop anybody. It's a bad recipe.