What is the real answer?

I’ve had tix for 42 years, and have been a jet fan for about 55 years. Sitting there today, with that absolutely putrid effort, I can honestly say this is by far the worst Jets defense I can ever remember. It begs the question…..are our defensive coaches horrible , or do our defensive players just out and out suck?  Personally, I say the coaches stink, but interested to hear what others feel. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I’ve had tix for 42 years, and have been a jet fan for about 55 years. Sitting there today, with that absolutely putrid effort, I can honestly say this is by far the worst Jets defense I can ever remember. It begs the question…..are our defensive coaches horrible , or do our defensive players just out and out suck?  Personally, I say the coaches stink, but interested to hear what others feel. 

Contraction.

• Upvote 1

We have a talent deficient roster due to constant mishaps over the last decade, leading to us tearing down a team that wasn't even good in the first place, and our beginning rebuild has been more offensive centric. Much talent in key areas are either not very talented, or too raw to capitalize on their talent. There may also be an issue of preparation to top it off. Our D still has no answers to underneath receivers, and screen passes.

To sum it up, it's probably a level of failure on all levels. 

• Upvote 4

I posted this in the game thread, but I’m not agreeing with the claims that Saleh’s cover-3 can perform with plug-and-play late round picks/UDFA’s.

Along with two new safeties, I think a stud corner is a big need. And I’d find it tough to pass on Stingley from LSU if he’s there with either of the Jets 2022 1st round picks. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally agree. This defense is totally dependent on the pass rush. 

My recollection is the Eagle starters pretty much owned the Jets DL during both the joint practices and their 2's were better in the last pre-season game.  I also seem to recall we couldn't cover a screen pass or a TE then either...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Can't get to the QB.

There is the problem.  I saw Minshew at least 4 times today run around looking for someone open, and still had to throw it away...WITHOUT getting sacked.

We haven't been able to get to the QB for years.  Its time this team spends resources until they have at least two guys that can get there consistently.  Until then, this defence will continue to stink.  We would could have Darrelle Revis, Aaron Glenn, James Hasty, Ty Law (in his heyday), Ronnie Lott (in his heyday), Erik McMillan, and Kerry Rhodes all back there and it won't matter when a QB gets seven seconds to throw, compared to a league average of around 2-3.5 seconds. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I posted this in the game thread, but I’m not agreeing with the claims that Saleh’s cover-3 can perform with plug-and-play late round picks/UDFA’s.

Along with two new safeties, I think a stud corner is a big need. And I’d find it tough to pass on Stingley from LSU if he’s there with either of the Jets 2022 1st round picks. 

Well, with that philosophy, I hope they can all cover their assignments for 7-10 seconds, because without a pass rush, that is what it will take.

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

we suck again GIF

• Haha 1

Absolutely agree. Depending on the actual draft order take Stingley and one of the Edge rushers. If not get one of the three and trade back the one pick. Then go all offense.
  • Upvote 1

In a 32 team league with the top teams winning multiple times, the odds are the Jets, with clueless owners, won’t win a championship in decades, if ever again. 

they are year’s behind the Bills and cheaters, they won’t win the division in the next 7 years or so. 

the answer is to lower your expectations to being entertained, even if it’s a gallows humor form of entertainment. 

i feel bad for the guys in their 20 s and 30s, it hurts at that age. 

at my age, 54, it’s annoyingly predictable but I don’t lose sleep over it anymore 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Damn 55 years! I've only been a Jets fan for 54 years. And yea this D is as deplorable as I've ever witnessed ANY football team.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Real answer (or at least my hope):  Woody moves the team to England or anywhere else.   Most of us can then feel free of guilt for walking away from this mess.

You shouldn't feel guilt. "Team loyalty" is the greatest marketing success perhaps in history. What does the team do for you? Provide entertainment. As soon as the cost (in money, time, suffering) exceeds the fun, take a break or walk away. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

You shouldn't feel guilt. "Team loyalty" is the greatest marketing success perhaps in history. What does the team do for you? Provide entertainment. As soon as the cost (in money, time, suffering) exceeds the fun, walk away. 

So why the **** are you here still? Youre obviously not happy about any player or coach, young or old. Every post is negative. You should follow your own advice.

• Sympathy 1