Denzel Mims: 0 snaps

Rhg1084

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Because we see them a few hours a week.  They see these guys every day.  Practice matters.  It happens a lot around here that people forget practice is where players are truly evaluated.  The coaching staff knows far more about him than we possibly can.  They're not holding him back for a personal vendetta...

He's just not good.

Funny he didn't look that bad last season. What happened since then?  Sorry I can't get with that.  He definitely had a bad season but I personally am not giving up on him.   He has too much ability; I think it was a clash of personalities and as the season went on it just got worse.   Mims didn't help his case but dropping a few passes and committing several penalties.  It seemed to that as the season went on his confidence just continued to go lower and lower.     We often think athletes aren't human beings but they are and in sports, (as in many areas of life) confidence is everything.    Mims looks like someone who's confidence is shot.   Maybe the best thing for him is a change of scenery because it seems he and Saleh never hit it off.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Funny he didn't look that bad last season. What happened since then?  Sorry I can't get with that.  He definitely had a bad season but I personally am not giving up on him.   He has too much ability; I think it was a clash of personalities and as the season went on it just got worse.   Mims didn't help his case but dropping a few passes and committing several penalties.  It seemed to that as the season went on his confidence just continued to go lower and lower.     We often think athletes aren't human beings but they are and in sports, (as in many areas of life) confidence is everything.    Mims looks like someone who's confidence is shot.   Maybe the best thing for him is a change of scenery because it seems he and Saleh never hit it off.  

I agree confidence is a thing and it must have something to do with it - I'm not holding my breath for him to figure it out but I get what you're saying and hope you're right.

Sucks because he's a huge missing piece that we're going to have to draft to replace.  Big, tall, outside WR.  Team would be in great shape if could have figured it out.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well certainly excelling is a relative term but if he goes to a team that attempts to utilize his strengths, I think he will demonstrate the ability he displayed in college.   One thing I think he needs to do is get in better shape.  Not saying he was in bad shape but he needs to work on his quickness and without question needs to improve his route running.  If can do those two things I think he can realize the potential that made him a 2nd round pick.    A lot will depend on what time he signs on with assuming he is cut.  I still think it would be dumb to cut him before a full offseason and training camp.

Boo! Cheap!  I can agree with all this, but I'm wondering what you'd actually consider successful?  1000 yard season?  750 yard season?  500 yard season?  I'm starting to think that might be his ceiling.  I also don't think he should be cut before camp, but if they can flip him for something of value, it seems it might be a win-win.  

42 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He probably wasn't as good last season as you think he was.  I have probably posted it 10 times now, but check his game logs.  He finished the season very poorly.  He missed the Seahawks game after he traveled home for a family emergency and I think the covid protocols didn't allow him to play.  He has not had a good game since.  At that point he had played in 6 games and had 19 catches for 324 yards and was one of  just 6 players to record 40 or more yards in their first 6 games. Now, after 19 games he has 31 catches for 490 yards.  He has had one 40 yard game since - his 40 yard catch week 1. 

There is some precedent for Mims having success after struggling.  He had some rough numbers his junior year - an 11% drop rate and a very poor success rate on contested catches.  It seemed odd because watching his highlights it seemed like a reel of contested catches.  That was because in 2019 he turned things around and had a super low 4% drop rate, and had the 2nd most contested catches in the country.  He seemed to be off to a good start but they said his contested catch rate was only 24% in 2020.  

FWIW, most of these numbers come from some articles I read the last few weeks:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/2020-nfl-draft-jets-concerns-over-denzel-mims-drops-baylor-exaggerated/

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/12/10/new-york-jets-wr-denzel-mims-is-running-out-of-time/#:~:text=There were concerns about Mims's,Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Boo! Cheap!  I can agree with all this, but I'm wondering what you'd actually consider successful?  1000 yard season?  750 yard season?  500 yard season?  I'm starting to think that might be his ceiling.  I also don't think he should be cut before camp, but if they can flip him for something of value, it seems it might be a win-win.  

He probably wasn't as good last season as you think he was.  I have probably posted it 10 times now, but check his game logs.  He finished the season very poorly.  He missed the Seahawks game after he traveled home for a family emergency and I think the covid protocols didn't allow him to play.  He has not had a good game since.  At that point he had played in 6 games and had 19 catches for 324 yards and was one of  just 6 players to record 40 or more yards in their first 6 games. Now, after 19 games he has 31 catches for 490 yards.  He has had one 40 yard game since - his 40 yard catch week 1. 

There is some precedent for Mims having success after struggling.  He had some rough numbers his junior year - an 11% drote and a very poor success rate on contested catches.  It seemed odd because watching his highlights it seemed like a reel of contested catches.  That was because in 2019 he turned things around and had a super low 4% drop rate, and had the 2nd most contested catches in the country.  He seemed to be off to a good start but they said his contested catch rate was only 24% in 2020.  

FWIW, most of these numbers come from some articles I read the last few weeks:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/2020-nfl-draft-jets-concerns-over-denzel-mims-drops-baylor-exaggerated/

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/12/10/new-york-jets-wr-denzel-mims-is-running-out-of-time/#:~:text=There were concerns about Mims's,Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.

Excellent post and I appreciate you share those stats with me.  I definitely understand he has a lot to work on.   I just wonder how Mims might have done under a more experienced coach, not someone who had to show the players he was in charge.    I wonder if a more experience coach would probably have found ways to get Mims the ball because has skills that by all common sense, should help a young quarterback. 
Namely large catch radius, back shoulder catches,  50-50 balls, very good speed.   Unfortunately, this season has been a horror show for him and I sure his confidence has taken a beating.   It's too bad because I really wanted it to work out...  My thing is it would just like the Jets to give up on the guy after two seasons and watch him go to NE or somewhere and become a very good player in the next few years.   He is on such a cheap contract, why would the just let him go?  At the very least try to build some value by bringing to camp and giving him another chance...  

• Upvote 1