Texans “open” to trading pick 3

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Personally, I think Ojabo and Walker have more upside than Thibs, I think Hutchinson is the best, but not as good as Chase Young or the Bosa brothers.

A lot of people seem to like Ojabo - will be very curious to see how he checks out as we go through the draft process. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Had not heard of him.  But, at 4, do you want a guy playing a different position?  Sounds like a longshot to actually happen.

I am definitely... definitely... opposed to de-prioritizing positional value.  If you added a top tier safety, and a top tier center to last years team, I still see them as a 4-13 team.  I did a run-down of the playoff teams this year, and the highest drafted safety in the playoffs was in the 2nd round, and I don't even think was on their original team.  Honestly, a GM's job is to find quality safety play on day 3 of the draft - top 10 is a cop-out, and means you need to muster a pass rush or a corner where you're much less likely to find one.

Adams was a debacle for the Seahawks, but our QB room was Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg, and we took a wildly overrated safety who didn't cause turnovers.  That the Seahawks were dumber doesn't change how bad a draft pick he was.  And sure, Houston's screwed now, but not one single team passed on Watson for fear of him showing his penis around.  Nothing Houston could do about that, and they'll still probably, at some point, get a major draft haul, or, if it weren't for the relationship, reap the benefits of his non-penis related skills.

I think I'd rather take my chances on the CB.  Maybe you go w/ Booth instead, than a safety.  If safety is a problem, we can just convert a corner.  Seems to work for plenty of teams, and even us a bit this year.

No problem.

Seems more people are comfortable w/ options at 10 than 4, which is interesting as the rumors (which, whatever, who knows) are speculating about staying at 4 and trading out of 10.  Maybe more partners at 10, which can help make up for a reach, or a slightly less exciting pick at 4.

As far as Neal, has played both Tackle and DE at A&M.  Considerable snaps at both.  They move him all over.  I don’t think either would be considered out of position, I think it’s just a matter of projecting if you have to say what is absolute best fit is, it’s as an attacking 4-3 DT.  He could also be a 4-3 DE in the form of say Cam Jordan too.  But there are lots of concerns with him as well.  I also think versatility is just starting to get the same type of “value add” in football as it does in baseball and hoops.  That’s just my take on versatility though.

I wouldn’t do it personally and I’d say the odds are low, but if they are adamant on adding a pass rusher with high end physical traits, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was in the conversation.

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Trading up? Are you crazy?

This affects us in the sense that teams who want the top QB in the draft will likely want to get to 3 instead of waiting to trade with us at 4. It impacts our potential ability to trade down.

Don’t see it with 4 and 10 but can definitely see JD trading up somewhere in the first 3 rounds if they see someone they like.  I think they were very pleased with trading up for AVT and would do it again if need be.  JD has also expressed that he is willing to deal picks as ammunition.

And as much as I want to keep a lot of picks, if they can make successful picks again like AVT, Moore and Carter then I’m all for it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Don’t see it with 4 and 10 but can definitely see JD trading up somewhere in the first 3 rounds if they see someone they like.  I think they were very pleased with trading up for AVT and would do it again if need be.  JD has also expressed that he is willing to deal picks as ammunition.

And as much as I want to keep a lot of picks, if they can make successful picks again like AVT, Moore and Carter then I’m all for it.

I'm fine moving up later in the draft. I'm specifically talking about the idea of moving up from 4.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Agreed. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Douglas trade back up into the end of the 1st round, should a player fall who the Jets love. 

Part of having all of these picks is that it gives you the flexibility to be selectively aggressive. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Agreed. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Douglas trade back up into the end of the 1st round, should a player fall who the Jets love. 

Part of having all of these picks is that it gives you the flexibility to be selectively aggressive. 

Yep. If we can't move down from 10 and we go OL/DL/Edge with the first two picks I don't have any problem packaging both 2nds to move into the late first for a stud WR.

• Upvote 2