1971 All Star Game

section314

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

20 HOFers and Pete Rose.  And amid all of that talent, the starting SS for the NL was our very own Bud Harrelson.

I used to watch the MLB All Star game every year.  Now, I can't remember the last one I watched.

I’m with you. Never watch it anymore. When do you think they will settle? Bet you a beer, or beverage of your choice, not till after the NFL draft.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, section314 said:

I’m with you. Never watch it anymore. When do you think they will settle? Bet you a beer, or beverage of your choice, not till after the NFL draft.

You are on.  I will say the settle before the draft.  Just have to find a time and place so we can settle up during the season.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, section314 said:

Always known as the night Reggie hit the light tower. One other amazing thing about that game………20 future HOFers played in it. Basically half the guys in the game. 

We were in Florida for that game. I was 11. Family drove down from LI over 3 days--6 of us squished in a car.  Left my older sisters home. 

On 2/5/2022 at 6:12 PM, Lith said:

20 HOFers and Pete Rose.  And amid all of that talent, the starting SS for the NL was our very own Bud Harrelson.

I used to watch the MLB All Star game every year.  Now, I can't remember the last one I watched.

Haven't seen one in decades.  My favorite was 1988- my daughter was born that day and I sat in the hospital chair cradling her, wife asleep in the bed next to us and watched the whole game.  Bunch of Mets--Straw, Hernandez.  They wore white spikes.

We talk about it every year on her birthday.

Second favorite was her freshman orientation at Loyola.  Sat in a bar and watched David Wright just miss winnning the HR derby which ended up destroying his career.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, Lith said:

The players used to really care who won, less so now.

The NL and AL used to never play (other than the WS), so that was the only chance to see an elite NL pitcher vs and elite AL hitter, and vice versa.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

The NL and AL used to never play (other than the WS), so that was the only chance to see an elite NL pitcher vs and elite AL hitter, and vice versa.

I know, we grew up in a different world. Not saying better, but different. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Back then, if you lived in an Al or NL city, that was the only time you got to see the stars from the other league.  Aside from the occasional Game of the Week or the World Series.  Living in NY, we had the chance to watch both, but I wouldn't watch Yankee games as a kid.  All Star Game was the only time I got to see some of those AL Stars.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Back then, if you lived in an Al or NL city, that was the only time you got to see the stars from the other league.  Aside from the occasional Game of the Week or the World Series.  Living in NY, we had the chance to watch both, but I wouldn't watch Yankee games as a kid.  All Star Game was the only time I got to see some of those AL Stars.

Yup, hated the Yankees although went to games and saw Kaline, Killabrew, Brooks, Yaz, Boog, Frank Howard, saw Rod Carew steal home plate during a Bat Day, a few others--have to think a out it.

• 2 months later...

I don't know why I just read this, but when I read that line it reminded me of the Simpsons. 

9 NBA all-stars AND DANNY AINGE!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

This year will be fun, it will be loaded with Yankees and Mets.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, section314 said:

Always known as the night Reggie hit the light tower. One other amazing thing about that game………20 future HOFers played in it. Basically half the guys in the game. 

Back when All Star Games mattered I saw that one live on TV that night

• Sympathy 1