Vince Young a JET?

Varlo

What do you guys think beings that our new movement is going more toward youth..........do you think that the jets would take a shot at working with young and developing him into a pro bowl caliber QB? Think about it Pennington's brain+Vince Young's athletic ability=Pro Bowl QB

What do you guys think beings that our new movement is going more toward youth..........do you think that the jets would take a shot at working with young and developing him into a pro bowl caliber QB? Think about it Pennington's brain+Vince Young's athletic ability=Pro Bowl QB

Not much, most of the people on this site aren't too fond of multiple Rose Bowl winners. Career back ups and journeymen like Griese and Bollinger are in demand here.

Vince Lombardi could be his head coach and Bill Walsh his offensive coordinator and Vince Young would still never develop into a Pro Bowl quarterback.

If the Jets can get Vince in the second round, I say grab him.

By Dan Pompei -

[url=http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=MXdLfM6.I3p1t951Q8BiwxJsjZnmqUQYyQAADGqk&T=1a0t87kgn%2fX%3d1142475008%2fE%3d7666514%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1131721346%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtpdDtzd2l0Y2g7cmVmdXJsX25ld3Nfc2VhcmNoX3lhaG9vX2NvbSIgcmVmdXJsPSJyZWZ1cmxfbmV3c19zZWFyY2hfeWFob29fY29tIiB0b3BpY3M9InJlZnVybF9uZXdzX3NlYXJjaF95YWhvb19jb20i%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6723BECE&U=1398sa0lq%2fN%3dV7hVss6.Irw-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3226908]

Vince Young has been catching a lot of flak lately. Come training camp, he might be catching more than flak.

Some teams are considering using the Texas quarterback as a receiver, especially early in his career. It's highly unlikely any team would draft Young expressly to play receiver, as the Jaguars did with Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones a year ago. But it's comforting to some teams that they could get something out of Young right away if he's not a full-time quarterback.

And why not? Young is one of the most athletic players eligible for the draft. Before his Rose Bowl season, many NFL scouts considered him a position switch waiting to happen. There is some concern Young will face a difficult transition in becoming an NFL quarterback. He left Texas early, so he's not a finished product. He played predominantly from the shotgun and hasn't had exposure to a pro-style offense. Progression reads have not been one of his strong suits. He has an awkward throwing motion that an NFL coach might try to change. So Young has a lot of learning ahead.

Of course, learning is another issue after Young reportedly scored a 6 on his first attempt at the Wonderlic test. He retook the test and reportedly scored a 16. The Wonderlic may or may not tell NFL teams anything of value, but most NFL scouts agree there is a bust factor with Young.

Senior writer Dan Pompei covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at pompei@sportingnews.com.

i agree somewhat but I really dont think that the jets can pass this up i mean he is way to talented and that is something this team needs is young talented players i mean they need someone in the draft i dont give a **** if its brodie croyle

Not much, most of the people on this site aren't too fond of multiple Rose Bowl winners. Career back ups and journeymen like Griese and Bollinger are in demand here.

Historically how have running Qb's done in the NFL? Let him try to tuck the ball and run with it in the NFL,he will leave the field on a stretcher.

Historically how have running Qb's done in the NFL? Let him try to tuck the ball and run with it in the NFL,he will leave the field on a stretcher.

Steve Young, John Elway, Mark Brunnell and Donovan McNabb all seem to have done well for themselves. Ben Roethlisberger can also run. They're all basically inferior athletically in comparison to VY, but they all scrambled a lot anyway. Just think what VY can do since he can run better than them. I don't know if VY will develop the passing ability, but that is completely unrelated to his running ability so that's not really the argument here I guess.

Now if you want to talk about crappy passers, then I agree they don't do very well. Like Vick, Harrington, McCown and a slew of other horrible passers, most of whom you won't know or remember because they've done nothing. That has nothing to do with their running ability though, on that list, Vick can run, but the others can't and they still can't pass. So not running doesn't somehow make you a better passer. Although running well does give you the chance at passing better, since you open up the defense.

Flawed logic. Those guys could all pass, too. They weren't "First option covered, tuck and run" guys.

exactly man;

thier is a huge difference between guys who can run as a weapon and/or when ALL receiving options covered and a QB who doesnt have the football smarts to be able to quickly find other receiving options after the primary is covered, and decides to 'tuck and run' when primary is covered,,,,

u just cant win at the NFL level by not being able to find the secondary and terciary receivers.

u spy the QB with a fast safety, LB and then double the primary or use a sliding zone to the primary side and VOILA,,,

decent defenses and good HCs and DCs will salivate over that,,

you dont hear anything about the Jets looking at Young, so I doubt we'd draft him

If Mangini is a Belichick "clone" as some of you say then that right there is a cause for concern for all Young haters.

he hasn't said anything about trading for Brady, does that mean the Jets are going to trade for him?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. If I have learned one thing with Belichick, it's expect the unexpected. If some of you think Mangini is some sort of clone, then you should prepare yourself for the same.

And who exactly will be doing the brain transplant, the Jets team doctors? And will we be discarding Penny's body after removing the brain and giving it to Young, or will we do a swap and instantly make Penny into a retard?

Archived