RAS of Every Joe Douglass Draft Pick To Date

5 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I think it's important to sort the RAS info. The Carters score low because of height and weight (IIRC.) Scoring low on one of those quadrants isn't a cause for concern unless, for example, a OL/DL scores low on height and weight, or a WR is slow in all speed measurements, etc. Just one piece of info among all the others to assess whether a guy will make it or not. 

We tell the undersized rb, Carter to finish his runs by fighting for every last yard,

better advice is to use his agility his best trait to elude tacklers rather than

to take on tacklers with his under sized body and chance getting hurt

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I see you edited your post.  FFS I wasn’t saying it correlates 100 % of the time and you know that.

Yes, I’m a zealot for drafting athletes coming off a prior GM who never did. Sue me.

Maccagnan did not seem to prioritize athleticism in the draft, but he certainly tried to bring in a ton of  freak athlete UDFA and fa as they became available.  He gave a bunch of those guys shots with the Jets.  Some ended up as real players - Raheem Mostert comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Remember him being floated around as a TE prospect. No bueno. 

RAS obviously isn't the end all be all of scouting, but it shows some useful things. Not every guy with a crazy high score ends up being great, but guys with low scores rarely if ever become good. In the comments it said that no TE has succeeded with such a low score, and that a score of 6 seems to be the bar for the position.

(raising my hand)  I liked him based on tape and some production but that RAS is horrible.  He's looking like a Day 3 guy at best and some analysts say he may not be drafted.

Tape looks much better than his RAS, that's for sure.  Good route runner, good hands, good blocker.  Just not very fast or quick.  He's a good target in the passing game and contests for catches.  I'd describe him as more of a tough run-after-catch guy than a fast one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Not much to take from that. Ras scores stupid.

Maybe they are stupid, but I think the point was more that Douglas seems to value them, so they might lend some insight into the kinds of players we might target in certain spots. 

I’m personally not a big combine guy, in general 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

(raising my hand)  I liked him based on tape and some production but that RAS is horrible.  He's looking like a Day 3 guy at best and some analysts say he may not be drafted.

Tape looks much better than his RAS, that's for sure.  Good route runner, good hands, good blocker.  Just not very fast or quick.  He's a good target in the passing game and contests for catches.  I'd describe him as more of a tough run-after-catch guy than a fast one.

I read he had maturity issues.  Sometimes that means they don't prepare which is a huge red flag.  Sometimes guys are dinged and try to gut it out.  I don't remember reading anything like that about him.  He certainly doesn't look that bad.   Still you select a guy based on how athletic he looks on tape instead of with the tape measure and stopwatch and you are liable to end up with Jachai Polite.

• Upvote 2