Pickens vs. London

Curious to see what the arguments for and against George Pickens and Drake London. Big body receivers who have had recent injuries hamper their play. Two projected WR1 top end guys when they were at their best in college. I am no scouting expert so I have lots of questions about these two.

Id like to hear what folks like and dislike about Pickens and London. What separates one from the other... etc. 

Where do you think they will go in the draft comparatively and which might have more value at that pick?

I for one would love Pickens around the 20-40th selection. Is that too high, too low?  

6 hours ago, TouchyFeely said:

Pickens has been seemingly completely forgotten. Might end up being the steal of the draft.

Liked him too. Last I knew he wasn’t brought into Florham Park, which was surprising to me. However, this could explain why he’s been forgotten and not brought into FP  

Via Bob McGinn draft preview:

“A lot of his issues come off the field. Work habits, how he’s going to fit on a team. His talent level is up there with guys in the second and third round but a lot of people have him further down because of his football makeup and personal character.” Was thrown out of one game and suspended. Removed from one team’s draft board because of off-field issues. “Very talented,” a second scout said. “There’s some boom or bust with him. The injury, and being sort of coddled at Georgia … there’s maybe some football character concerns.” 

39 minutes ago, C Mart said:

” Was thrown out of one game and suspended. Removed from one team’s draft board because of off-field issues. “Very talented,” a second scout said. “There’s some boom or bust with him. The injury, and being sort of coddled at Georgia … there’s maybe some football character concerns.” 

This stuff just makes him rise on my board. He’s feisty mf’er - scrappy and plays like thug. Im ok with it. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, GangGreen Machine said:

Curious to see what the arguments for and against George Pickens and Drake London. Big body receivers who have had recent injuries hamper their play. Two projected WR1 top end guys when they were at their best in college. I am no scouting expert so I have lots of questions about these two.

Id like to hear what folks like and dislike about Pickens and London. What separates one from the other... etc. 

Where do you think they will go in the draft comparatively and which might have more value at that pick?

I for one would love Pickens around the 20-40th selection. Is that too high, too low?  

Over 25 lbs. for starters.  They are not the same type of player.

And given our recent experience with Mims, do we really want another WR with red flags about work ethic?  Sure if he drops below his value, but definitely not as the 1st WR we pick.

• Upvote 2

On 4/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, C Mart said:

“A lot of his issues come off the field. Work habits, how he’s going to fit on a team. His talent level is up there with guys in the second and third round but a lot of people have him further down because of his football makeup and personal character.” Was thrown out of one game and suspended. Removed from one team’s draft board because of off-field issues. “Very talented,” a second scout said. “There’s some boom or bust with him. The injury, and being sort of coddled at Georgia … there’s maybe some football character concerns.” 

The talent is there but from what I've read and heard on podcasts is that the character concerns are what is moving him down.  He needs to find the right team and there are questions about his maturity.  

From a fan post on a Georgia forum from 2020:

"He does NOT BLOCK this year. Watch him. He takes all plays off that do not directly involve him. Very selfish! I say bench him or use him as a decoy. He needs to grow up."

The thing is, he can be a very effective blocker when he wants to be.

Character concerns aren't to be lumped into one red flag. If you break your arm, that's weighed differently than tearing your achilles.... There's some brands of character issues i can work with more than others. Is this guy gonna go thuggin' in the offseason, or lining up rails in strips clubs? Being a hot head on the field -- i can work with that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Character concerns aren't to lumped into one red flag. If you break your arm, that's weigh differently than tearing your achilles.... There's some brands of character issues i can work with more than others. Is this guy gonna go thuggin' in the offseason, or lining up rails in strips up clubs? Being a hot head on the field -- i can work with that. 

So, if you are asking me if I am willing to put up with a couple of 15 yard penalties, or maybe even an occasional ejection to get this

Pickens 1.gif

or this

go-dawgs-george-pickens.gif

Sign me up.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Character concerns aren't to be lumped into one red flag. If you break your arm, that's weighed differently than tearing your achilles.... There's some brands of character issues i can work with more than others. Is this guy gonna go thuggin' in the offseason, or lining up rails in strips clubs? Being a hot head on the field -- i can work with that. 

He’s been a cocky kid, but what WR isn’t?   He was a kid from Hoover, Alabama who decided to play in Athens, GA.    He showed up with a chip on his shoulder and played well as a true freshman.   His biggest issue was getting into a fight during the Georgia Tech game in 2019.   He’s going to be great value on day 2 of this draft.   

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:41 AM, nyjbuddy said:

The talent is there but from what I've read and heard on podcasts is that the character concerns are what is moving him down.  He needs to find the right team and there are questions about his maturity.  

From a fan post on a Georgia forum from 2020:

"He does NOT BLOCK this year. Watch him. He takes all plays off that do not directly involve him. Very selfish! I say bench him or use him as a decoy. He needs to grow up."

The thing is, he can be a very effective blocker when he wants to be.

And based on Joe D history of roster assembly he doesn’t want these type of players that have character concerns. 

And I liked Pickens. But once I saw McGinn’s scouting report I have pretty much crossed him off as a Jets possibility next week. 

• Upvote 2