Jets looking to trade up, and might aquire TJ Duckett in a trade

vinnys025

Jets | Team looking for ammunition to trade up

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:26:42 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are reportedly looking for ammunition, by trading DE John Abraham, to move up to the No. 2 slot in the April NFL Draft. They team wants to draft USC QB Matt Leinart.

Jets | Seahawks still in the running to acquire Abraham

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:25:50 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the Seattle Seahawks dealt themselves into the game to acquire New York Jets franchise free agent DE John Abraham by offering their 31st overall pick for Abraham. However, while it is believed they have made a contract proposal to agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, Abraham's choice is the Atlanta Falcons.

Falcons | Still negotiating with the Jets about Abraham

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:22:42 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are still trying to work out a trade with the Atlanta Falcons involving Jets' franchise free agent DE John Abraham. The Jets want Atlanta's first-round pick, 15th overall, to let Abraham join the Falcons. The Falcons initially offered their second-rounder (No. 47). In an attempt to break the impasse, a source said, Atlanta general manager Rich McKay offered to include a player with the second-rounder. The identity of the player isn't known, but the Falcons have discussed trading RB T.J. Duckett. But the Jets, according to the NFL source, said no to the two-plus-a-player.

Duckett is an awsome player, a bruiser who can run, basically a poor mans Bettis but can get injured at times. I would take Duckett and a 2nd rounder for Abe, but our FO isnt thinking like that, they are saying a first or nothing. I do like how the offers are starting to get heated and now teams will start to throw out better deals since they know the Jets FO is playing hardball. I actually like how our Fo is handeling things, they arent messing around anymore, you have to love this new hardline approach.

Duckett is an awsome player, a bruiser who can run, basically a poor mans Bettis but can get injured at times. I would take Duckett and a 2nd rounder for Abe, but our FO isnt thinking like that, they are saying a first or nothing. I do like how the offers are starting to get heated and now teams will start to throw out better deals since they know the Jets FO is playing hardball. I actually like how our Fo is handeling things, they arent messing around anymore, you have to love this new hardline approach.

Calling TJ Duckett "awesome" is like saying Bradway is an "awesome" GM.

I agree and its finally time that we don't have a push over for a GM...I say hold out as long as possible bc right now, they are going to only improve each of their offers to get Abe

I agree and its finally time that we don't have a push over for a GM...I say hold out as long as possible bc right now, they are going to only improve each of their offers to get Abe

Agreed, and by Friday, the best offer wins, end of story.

TJ Duckett is only 25, was the 19th pick in the 2002 draft...his best year was in 2003 with 700+ yards and 11 tds.

That was with the best running offense in the NFL. But the biggest thing is that he's only 25. He can have year to counterpart CMART and then start the takeover.

The guy is NOT an every down back. He has no breakaway speed. 3 yards in a cloud of dust is not what you want out of your starting RB. The jets could get a RB in the 5rd or 6th round who could do the same thing.

Well since we have an ok from Seattle for #31, would you trade down from #31 to #47 for TJ Duckett (who has 2 years left on his rookie deal at a very reasonable $700K per year)?

Barring a miracle, we're not "really" competing for a SB ring this year; we're rebuilding. So in 2006, while Duckett would help, he won't put us over the top. That leaves 1 year on his rookie deal for 2007 & we're not going to re-sign him to a longer deal at age 27.

I'd rather have #31. There's a HUGE dropoff from #31 to #47 this year. #31 will be a clear-cut first-round talent. #47 may yield a first-round talent & may not; but even if it did, it would be a marginal first-round grade at best.

Well since we have an ok from Seattle for #31, would you trade down from #31 to #47 for TJ Duckett (who has 2 years left on his rookie deal at a very reasonable $700K per year)?

Barring a miracle, we're not "really" competing for a SB ring this year; we're rebuilding. So in 2006, while Duckett would help, he won't put us over the top. That leaves 1 year on his rookie deal for 2007 & we're not going to re-sign him to a longer deal at age 27.

I'd rather have #31. There's a HUGE dropoff from #31 to #47 this year. #31 will be a clear-cut first-round talent. #47 may yield a first-round talent & may not; but even if it did, it would be a marginal first-round grade at best.

NO WAY if you played BJ Askew in the same role as duckett he'd do the same thing.

Atlanta has got to be kidding. They are trying to acquire a top 10 pass rusher for a bag of shells.

A 2nd rounder and a fat short yardage back 1ST round bust for a guy who can get you 15 sacks if he stays healthy? Does Atlanta want fries with that? Gimme a break.

Tannenbaum should end this charade quickly. Tell Atlanta they are not getting abe unless its the 15th pick, or Schuab, and the 2nd for abe and ramsey.. Tell them to call back when they are ready to part with one of those packages. Until then, they can go sh!t in their hat. They are losing Schaub anyway after next season, you might as well get a premier pass rusher for him while you can meanwhile you keep the 15th pick and they are getting a a respectable back up in Ramsey. What are teh Falcons thinking? I just cant understand what Atlanta does not like about this.

If the Jets could they should even try to nab Keith Brookings if it can work under the cap. Brookings is awesome with 3-4 experience.

Atlanta has got to be kidding. They are trying to acquire a top 10 pass rusher for a bag of shells.

And 2nd rounder and a fat short yardage back 1ST round bust for a guy who can get you 15 sacks if he stays healthy? Gimme a break.

Tannenbaum should end this charade quickly. Tell Atlanta they are not getting abe unless its the 15th pick, or Schuab, and the 2nd... Tell them to call back when they are ready to part with one of those packages. Until then, they can go sh!t in their hat.

If the Jets ocucld they should even try to nab Keith Brookings.

AMEN i'm tired of teams s***ting on the jets in trades over and over again while the front office says thanks may i have another. Tell them to take their laughable lowball offers and shove them.

NO WAY if you played BJ Askew in the same role as duckett he'd do the same thing.

I don't think the comparison is between Askew and Duckett. It's between Houston, Martin, Blaylock, and Ducket. Between all four. Honestly? I'd rather have the three that the Jets have now.

Then there's the 31 pick verses the 47 pick. In our mock, if it goes taht way, the Jets would have a shot at Nick Mangold at 31. At 47? Nothing that really jumps out and grabs ya. Imagine, if you will, going into the draft and grabbing a potential franchise left tackle, center, and right guard? Ferguson, Mangold, and Giles, respectfully. Not a bad haul. That is, of course, counting the Jets second round pick, as well. While there was some value left on the board, it wasn't near what was on the board at 31, obviously.

As far as Atlanta goes, they have to up the Seattle offer. It's in their court now.

I dont know why there is such hatred for TJ Duckett on this board. We're talking about a guy who can be a real workhorse. He hasnt been given that opportunity since he plays for a team that focuses mainly on speed rather than his powerful skillset, but make no mistake, he is a potential 1,000 yard rusher. That's the key in this league. Speed, agility, power, etc...doesnt really matter. What matters is having a guy who can get 1,000 yards a season w/ a respectable number of carries and not cough up the ball.

Duckett may not have great breakaway speed but he has outstanding power and decent quickness. You pair him w/ a speed guy who can get 5-10 carries a game(like Derrick Blaylock) you can have a very successful running game.

Let's put it this way: i can assure you he is much faster than Eddie George ever was for the Titans, and he is most likely on the same level in terms of speed as a young Jerome Bettis. Both of guys were considered great backs during their day..so why not Duckett?

I dont know why there is such hatred for TJ Duckett on this board. We're talking about a guy who can be a real workhorse. He hasnt been given that opportunity since he plays for a team that focuses mainly on speed rather than his powerful skillset, but make no mistake, he is a potential 1,000 yard rusher. That's the key in this league. Speed, agility, power, etc...doesnt really matter. What matters is having a guy who can get 1,000 yards a season w/ a respectable number of carries and not cough up the ball.

Duckett may not have great breakaway speed but he has outstanding power and decent quickness. You pair him w/ a speed guy who can get 5-10 carries a game(like Derrick Blaylock) you can have a very successful running game.

Let's put it this way: i can assure you he is much faster than Eddie George ever was for the Titans, and he is most likely on the same level in terms of speed as a young Jerome Bettis. Both of guys were considered great backs during their day..so why not Duckett?

Don't need no RB, period.

Duckett is not dime a dozen...he is a big back that can get it down in the small yardage...If it hasn't been for Warrick Dunn putting up great numbers, Duckett would be putting up monster numbers.

Duckett is solid...wouldn't mind that one

Solid is 3.5 yards a carry? Sorry I don't agree Duckett has been a huge bust in the NFL. If you want to get duckett who is about 250 and a nice complement to... oh wait we still have to get a running back that can actually bust off more than a 10 yard gain.... oh well

So we dont need a respectable running game?

Getting ducket will not make our running game any more respectable htan it already is.(which it isn't)

People liek to get excited about names. Well sorry to break the news but Duckett is garbage and can't even get the short yardage pickups that Atlanta asks him to pick up. The reason they are willing to trade him is because there are problably 10 RB's in the draft this year that will be more effective than he will be.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing them bring a guy like this in but this should have absolutely nothing to do with the ABe trade. I would maybe give up a 5th or 6th rounder for duckett and that is it.

Don't need no RB, period.

Don't be so quick to say that yet. Tell me where the 1,000 yd rusher is coming from this stable:

Curtis Martin - 33 years old and coming off a serious leg injury

Derrick Blaylock - Sucks.

Cedric Houston - Back-up material at best.

Martin is no longer a full-time running back and neither Blaylock and Houston impressed me at all last year. Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey both need a running game to be effective.

We set up the pass with the run. That's how we did it under Parcells, that's how we did it under Edwards and hopefully that's how Mangini will do it.

That said, I don't think T.J Duckett is the answer. He was supposed to be the future in Atlanta and instead he forced them to overuse Warrick Dunn. A running back either has it or he doesn't. I saw that Lamont Jordan had it from his first carry in an NFL preseason game. Duckett, Blaylock and Houston don't have "it". Good NFL running backs are actually a lot more rare than people think.

If we trade down in the first round we can get either Lendale White, Maroney or Addai. I like White the best because he has very little mileage on him, looked awesome at USC, is big, strong, fast and Curtis Martin loves him. White is a demon in the red zone which is why he averaged almost 20 touchdowns a year. You see the success of similar backs like Larry Johnson, Jamal Lewis and Ladainan Tomlinson.

There are alot of good OT prospects in Rounds 2-5. We can get playmakers in Round 1 and good linemen in Rounds 2-5.

Getting ducket will not make our running game any more respectable htan it already is.(which it isn't)

People liek to get excited about names. Well sorry to break the news but Duckett is garbage and can't even get the short yardage pickups that Atlanta asks him to pick up. The reason they are willing to trade him is because there are problably 10 RB's in the draft this year that will be more effective than he will be.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing them bring a guy like this in but this should have absolutely nothing to do with the ABe trade. I would maybe give up a 5th or 6th rounder for duckett and that is it.

He plays for a team that runs a scheme based around speed. That includes their zone blocking scheme that emphasizes speed to the hole and cut back ability. He has never had a chance to see what he could do in a scheme that emphasizes power. If you put him on Pittsburgh or Seattle, I promise you he'd be a 1,000 yard back and most likely a pro bowler.

I dont know why there is such hatred for TJ Duckett on this board.

I'm not sure where you've seen hatred. I've seen apathy towards TJ. And, as expected, how can you get excited for someone's back up?

And Foley/North... whoever you are, how can you say Blaylock sucks? He never got a chance to suit up for the Jets, last year. He's a change of pace back. Perfect compliment to a power runner. Or Houston and Martin. I wouldn't be suprised if the Jets impliment some sort of three headed monster.

Duckett doesn't really have any major problems. he's not a fumbler, hes a great goal-line back, but the problem is he was never given the confidence to start. we drafted him after we already signed warrick dunn to a contract, which was incredibly stupid by our old front office. Hes the ultimate change of pace back for us.

His biggest negative is that hes been criticized that he tippy-toes too much. Some games he looks great, barreling through defenders, sometime he looks like a bigger slower warrick dunn. off-the-field, you have no worries, great guy, does much charrity work. even growed his beard throughout the season, and he cut it last week for charity to raise money.

Archived