Take Vy At #4 And Drive Defenses Nuts

L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

I Know There Are Alot Of Guys On This Site That Hate Him ,but If The Jets Don't Take Him They Will Regret It. This Guy Is A Gamer He Is Big,strong,fast Etc... But With A Young O-line We Can Move The Pocket, And Create All Kinds Of Problems For Defenses .don't Forget We Don't Have The Biggest Wr's Or Fastest ,so They Need Time To Get Open Down Feild.but If The Young O-line Falls Apart Trying To Block ,this Guy Can Scramble For Positive Yards With The Best Of Them Imo... Taking Him Could Have A Tremendous Up Side ............. Your Thoughts?

Pass. While a great athlete, VY has questionable mechanics and rarely took a snap under center last year. He could have great upside or be a total bust. The Jets need more certainty (or relative certainty) with the #4 pick, another first round disappointment would be a huge step back in the rebuilding process.

It is easy... Young does not fit in the mold that Mangini has been used to..

Leinart, Croyle, Cutler and Whitehurst do... However, I dont think Jets should focus on taking a qb in day one unless one of them is still available after end of the 3rd round.

Leinart, Croyle, Cutler and Whitehurst do... However, I dont think Jets should focus on taking a qb in day one unless one of them is still available after end of the 3rd round.

ya starting to think they may be targeting Croyle in 2nd/3rd round,,Cowboys are also

No thanks... he could be a great talent but just not suited for this team at this time. I think VY would best be suited for a veteran coaching staff with a starter already in place where he can learn and not be rushed into anything.

I have to admit I am a little intrigued by what a guy like Young can do and wouldn't mind the roll of the dice if this were a different year, too much of a gamble this year though. I really liked what I saw of Whitehurst in the senior bowl, looked more like a pro than a college kid and I would be very happy if the Jets draft him in the later rounds, we have so many picks early on we could realistically take him in the 3rd and it wouldn't be too early for us.

I Know There Are Alot Of Guys On This Site That Hate Him ,but If The Jets Don't Take Him They Will Regret It. This Guy Is A Gamer He Is Big,strong,fast Etc... But With A Young O-line We Can Move The Pocket, And Create All Kinds Of Problems For Defenses .don't Forget We Don't Have The Biggest Wr's Or Fastest ,so They Need Time To Get Open Down Feild.but If The Young O-line Falls Apart Trying To Block ,this Guy Can Scramble For Positive Yards With The Best Of Them Imo... Taking Him Could Have A Tremendous Up Side ............. Your Thoughts?

-Black

Pass...or since we're talking about VY - Run...far away from this guy. Write the FO to campaign for this guy if you want but please stop creating a new thread every other day saying the same thing. You like Vince Young - we get it.

If it is true Mangini is going to emulate the Belichick formula the a QB like Vince Young does not make sense. Croyle makes sense. I like Brodie Croyle. He may be scrawny but he has a great arm and could bulk up like Brady did. Having said that I think the Jets will trade down and fill all necessary holes. I do believe Mangini still wants Matt Schaub and will agressively pursue him next year.

Pass...or since we're talking about VY - Run...far away from this guy. Write the FO to campaign for this guy if you want but please stop creating a new thread every other day saying the same thing. You like Vince Young - we get it.
I ALSO LIKE WHITEHURST ALOT TOO I'AM NOT JUST A VINCE GUY. I WAS HOPEING BRADY WOULD COME OUT THIS YEAR I REALLY WANT HIM. HE'S A STUD

Pass.

I am not a big believer in the Wonderlick(sp???) test scores, but he did score remarkedly low. It makes you wonder if he can think on his feet, or will just take off any time there is the slightest bit of pressure. Also, while he has a very strong arm, if he is not reading coverages correctly, all that means is that the ball gets to the safety a lot quicker then an average-arm QB.

Tremendous natural talent. But no thanks.

If it is true Mangini is going to emulate the Belichick formula the a QB like Vince Young does not make sense. Croyle makes sense. I like Brodie Croyle. He may be scrawny but he has a great arm and could bulk up like Brady did.

Let's replace Chad Pennington with the one guy who is even more injury prone than he is, Brodie Croyle. After last season you guys aren't sick enough of injury prone players yet? Croyle tore ACL's in both knees, dislocated his elbow and has other injuries that I don't even remember.

Vince Young and Jay Cutler are big, tough durable guys with strong arms. If you want to pass on those guys to draft a guy who makes Rex Grossman look like indestructible man go ahead.

:cheers:

I have said I liked him for a while now homey.

Here is the video Bit and Ham don't want you to see. ;)

http://media.putfile.com/Vince-Career-Top-11

If the Jets will not be that competitve next year (9 wins tops) Why not get a super stud athlete like Young? He will help you win some games by playing various positions all while he learns to play QB. There are no rookie QB's that will come in here and come in here and compete for a starters role right away. That is very, very rare.

:cheers:

I have said I liked him for a while now homey.

Here is the video Bit and Ham don't want you to see. ;)

http://media.putfile.com/Vince-Career-Top-11

If the Jets will not be that competitve next year (9 wins tops) Why not get a super stud athlete like Young? He will help you win some games by playing various positions all while he learns to play QB. There are no rookie QB's that will come in here and come in here and compete for a starters role right away. That is very, very rare.

I hear his idol is Joe Gilliam

c'mon dude. How can you even say that? They are totally different.

No, they aren't. They are exactly the same.

Both of them put up huge numbers in college because they were both in gimmicky offenses where they were in the shotgun formation 99% of the time. Smith in the spread offense, Young in the shotgun option offense. Last I checked, the option does not work in the NFL. Vince Young fans always point out that he led the nation in passing efficiency last year. Well....

Vince Young, 2005: 65% comp, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 164 rating

Alex Smith, 2004: 67% comp, 32 TDs, 4 INTs, 176 rating

Alex Smith, NFL: 51% comp, 1 TD, 11 INTs, 41 rating

It looks like you guys are just looking for a reason to down Young. you missed many points...

1) Young runs the offense that his coach gave him. Which is the same offense that Chris Simms ran. It's not that he CANT take the ball from under center - but all Texas QB's take shotgun snaps. his first read is to hand the ball off to the running back. Its an option based attack. There have been other good QB's to come from this style offense. Alex Smith comes from a different style offense. One that the Andre Ware's, and David Klingler's played in. Totally different.

2) Peyton Manning takes a number of snaps from shotgun. Nearly all his audibles are shotgun calls. He probably takes more shotgun than Vick.

3) Phillip Rivers slings sidearm and teams are scrapping for him right now, as did Bernie Kozar, Bobby Layne, and Sonny Jurgenson didn't have perfect deliveries either, but some of them are in the Hall of Fame. Jake Delhomme slings 3/4 motion. Whatever team he goes to will have a QB coach who will help him with his delivery.

4) The game was not a typical, the Horns took VY out at half time in nearly every game this season. Imagine his numbers if they werent trying to work their number 2 and 3 QBs. Heisman voting wouldnt have been close if he played the whole game.

5) When did being nimble become a bad thing? Noone is looking for a guy that size to make 40 yard open field runs. But if he can jook a DE and break for 10 or 12 yards - linebackers have to respect it.

maybe he'll only be an Aaron Brooks... a second teir QB who holds every Saints passing record - I'm willing to take that risk.

It looks like you guys are just looking for a reason to down Young. you missed many points...

1) Young runs the offense that his coach gave him. Which is the same offense that Chris Simms ran. It's not that he CANT take the ball from under center - but all Texas QB's take shotgun snaps. his first read is to hand the ball off to the running back. Its an option based attack. There have been other good QB's to come from this style offense. Alex Smith comes from a different style offense. One that the Andre Ware's, and David Klingler's played in. Totally different.

2) Peyton Manning takes a number of snaps from shotgun. Nearly all his audibles are shotgun calls. He probably takes more shotgun than Vick.

3) Phillip Rivers slings sidearm and teams are scrapping for him right now, as did Bernie Kozar, Bobby Layne, and Sonny Jurgenson didn't have perfect deliveries either, but some of them are in the Hall of Fame. Jake Delhomme slings 3/4 motion. Whatever team he goes to will have a QB coach who will help him with his delivary.

4) The game was not atypical, the Horns took VY out at half time in nearly every game this season. Imagine his numbers if they werent trying to work their number 2 and 3 QBs. Heisman voting wouldnt have been close if he played the whole game.

5) When did being nimble become a bad thing? Noone is looking for a guy that size to make 40 yard open field runs. But if he can jook a DE and break for 10 or 12 yards - linebackers have to respect it.

maybe he'll only be an Aaron Brooks... a second teir QB who holds every Saints passing record - I'm willing to take that risk.

AND SO I'AM I,THIS KID IS A WINNER AND HIS RECORD PROVES IT.ONLY GOOD CAN COME FROM THIS ,UNDER MANGINI AKA BELLY JR. NOBODY REALLY KNOWS

First off, Alex Smith has barely played in the nfl. First year qb's almost always suck because they need time to learn. Give Smith at least another year before he is declared a bust.

Second, Vince Young is a way better prospect than Alex Smith due to his athleticism. Can Alex Smith gain 15-20 yards a rushing attempt? Can Alex Smith run over people and outjuke defenders?

Only thing they have in common is that they both played out of the shotgun all the time in college. That will make little impact on whether or not they have success if their offensive coordinators decide to play to their strengths and use the shotgun for most of the passing plays.

After years of watching Paul Hackett's horrific west coast offense I won't mind watching some shotgun formations.

Archived