Miami vs Steelers reportedly first game of season

faba

Miami to play in season's first game

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

ORLANDO - The Dolphins, absent from prime-time games last season, will kick off the 2006 regular season with a Thursday night game against the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, according to an NFL source.

The league is scheduled to announce today that Miami will travel to Pittsburgh for the inaugural game of the NFL season -- one which is televised nationally on prime time and features national recording artists playing before the game and during halftime.

The game will be played Sept. 7, and the remainder of the NFL regular season will begin Sept. 10.

The Dolphins were picked for the game, in part, because they finished the 2005 season with six victories in a row, and coach Nick Saban has improved the team, at least on paper, with the addition of several players, most notably quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

WILLIAMS' HEARING SET

Ricky Williams' appeal of a positive drug test has been set for early April, according to a source. Williams is expected to attend the hearing in New York, along with his attorney David Cornwell.

Williams, who was scheduled to return Sunday to the United States after spending time in India, tested positive for an unknown substance that sources have said is not marijuana. The positive test, the fourth for Williams, could result in him being suspended for the entire 2006 season if the appeal is not successful.

INTEREST GROWING

The Dolphins have called the agent for Joey Harrington to express their interest in the Detroit Lions quarterback, even as they are preparing to step up efforts to sign unrestricted linebacker LaVar Arrington .

Finding a veteran backup quarterback and an outside linebacker are Miami's priorities for the remainder of the free agency signing period.

A source said Miami officials called agent David Dunn to gauge Harrington's availability should the Lions waive Harrington before June 15 when he is due a $4.5 million bonus. The Lions are trying to trade Harrington because they would like to get a draft pick for the player, and Kansas City has already expressed interest.

It is likely the Dolphins and Lions will talk about Harrington's availability this week at the NFL annual meeting.

Arrington, meanwhile, might be invited for a second visit with the Dolphins. He visited the Jacksonville Jaguars during the weekend and also has been in contact with Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, who was the player's defensive coach in Washington.

But the Bengals have not made Arrington a contract offer, and the Jaguars have apparently backed away from meeting Arrington's asking price of about $6 million per season with guaranteed money in the $10 million-$12 million range.

The Jaguars don't want to pay any defensive player more than they are paying Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. Both players signed six-year, $34 million contracts.

The Dolphins don't necessarily want to meet Arrington's asking price either, but the source said the Dolphins want to convince Arrington that playing in Saban's scheme is worth lowering his asking price because it would increase his worth in the future.

:lol:

Ben will light their D up. Daunte will still be in pre-season mode.

Stillers - 34

Phins - 13

;)

I seriously doubt you'll put 34 points on the fins,how many games did the Steelers score 34 or more in last year?? I'll give the win to the Steelers because we are still getting the pieces into place and we'll be playing in Pittsburgh, but if I were you, I wouldn't go runnin your mouth. Miami has a history of winning out of the gate.

I seriously doubt you'll put 34 points on the fins,how many games did the Steelers score 34 or more in last year?? I'll give the win to the Steelers because we are still getting the pieces into place and we'll be playing in Pittsburgh, but if I were you, I wouldn't go runnin your mouth. Miami has a history of winning out of the gate.
HEY,feelmyballs the dolfags suck man ,and always have . since when do they have a history of winning out of the gate (please) pitt will kill you guy's in this game trust me dolfags blow:Nuts:

Pitt scored 34 or more points 5 times last year during the regular season.

So do we. And we're comin' off a SB win to boot. Your D will be no match for Ben. We can hang 34 on anybody. Look at the starts we've gotten off to with Ben, youre next. :cheers:

Like they did against those dominant Texans that knocked half the USA out of their suicide pools?

yeah, a GREAT history out of the gate...Remember that time the Texans came to Miami and you beat them to a pulp in that first game...wait a minute..the lowly Texans BEAT Miami...oh right, what a great history!

LL

:lol:

Ben will light their D up. Daunte will still be in pre-season mode.

Stillers - 34

Phins - 13

;)

Wow, I call this the FIRST game prediction of the 2006 season! :)

Dolphins surprise everyone, but still lose.

Stealers: 24

Dolphins: 23

BZ

Wow, I call this the FIRST game prediction of the 2006 season! :)

BZ

Remember last year when i predicted Ben's sophomore slump? Oops.

I at least recovered to pick us to go 10-6 and be the wildcard.

I am sure that's one prediction you didn't mind getting wrong.

Right on. In fact, i'm gonna predict that again this year. ;)

My biggest concern will be when the time comes for us to lock Ben in long-term. Knowing how hard line my FO is when it comes to negotiating, i can foresee a hold out. Steinberg is his agent too. This should be a good clash. Maybe they can call Bellichick and get pointers on how to get the QB signed. I thought they did a hellova job with Brady.

Like they did against those dominant Texans that knocked half the USA out of their suicide pools?

What about Denver last year, I'm sure the odds of Denver losing to the fins was even higher then us losing to the Texans, but I guess you don't remeber last year?? Since you can only think of one game so shall I.

yeah, a GREAT history out of the gate...Remember that time the Texans came to Miami and you beat them to a pulp in that first game...wait a minute..the lowly Texans BEAT Miami...oh right, what a great history!

Read post above!

So do we. And we're comin' off a SB win to boot. Your D will be no match for Ben. We can hang 34 on anybody. Look at the starts we've gotten off to with Ben, youre next.

Just because you're SB winners doesn't guarantee a win, How can you say Our D will be no match for Ben ?? Do you know anything about our D or our coach?? We don't usually give up 34 points in a game, and since when did Miam all of a sudden get a weak D?? Ben has been in the league only 2 years and I got news for ya, Big Ben was the worst player on the Pittsburgh side of the ball during the SB.

Wow, I call this the FIRST game prediction of the 2006 season!

Seems reasonable!

My biggest concern will be when the time comes for us to lock Ben in long-term. Knowing how hard line my FO is when it comes to negotiating, i can foresee a hold out. Steinberg is his agent too. This should be a good clash. Maybe they can call Bellichick and get pointers on how to get the QB signed. I thought they did a hellova job with Brady.

All Ben needs to demand is 64 mill....he can always say "well the Jets offered that to Pennington." lol

Yea yea, Ben had a mediocre SB. He was by far the best player on the field for us during the whole playoff run though.

And the reason Ben will pick your D apart? The Steelers O-line will manhandle your front 7. You won't run into a bigger, more athletic line all next season. Mark it down, Fin fan. BTW, your O-line will be no match for my front 7 either. Thats where we win it going away.

Ben is a tough qb...plus you always have the talented Charlie Batch!!

I like Charlie. He got hurt last year as well. Broke his hand during the Steelers/browns game.

Don't take the trash talk personally, Fin fan. I usually don't talk alot of trash. Just thought it'd be fun and less boring to do it every now n then. :cheers:

I like Charlie. He got hurt last year as well. Broke his hand during the Steelers/browns game.

Don't take the trash talk personally, Fin fan. I usually don't talk alot of trash. Just thought it'd be fun and less boring to do it every now n then. :cheers:

Talking trash to Miami fans are allowed here- some say encouraged

Archived