2023 NFL Combine day one, Dline and linebackers....

Beerfish

Some observations from today:

I'm disappointed that Mazi Smith didn't test today. After coming in at number 1 on Bruce Feldman's freaks list, I was expecting Smith to put on a show. 

Calijah Kancey from Pitt had a nice day running 4.67 with a 1.64 split at 281 lbs. 

Nolan Smith and Byron Young both ran sub 4.5, but Young did it at 250lbs with a 38" vertical. Those are some nice SPARQ numbers. 

Lukas Van Ness should continue to climb up boards running a 4.64 with a 1.64 split at 272 lbs. Vertical was mediocre at 31". He might be an under the radar consideration at 13 if the tackles are gone. 

• Upvote 4

Pretty good time and 10 split for Adebawore from northwestern at a weight of 282

I like this Nolan Smith kid from georgia from the interview they are doing with him, funny guy.

I sure as hell hope the jets do NOT draft an edge or DT at 13 though.  I'll be pretty mad if they do.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think the Simpson kid from Clemson will look like a stud too. But does he have a true position? 

I'm always very wary of the great looking dude with no position.  I harped on that about Travon Walkers ascent last year.

• Upvote 1

Jets are going to have a hard time passing on some of these DL if they hold onto the 13th pick. I think it ultimately gets traded, but man some of these guys are incredible athletes. Imagine 3rd down with Nolan Smith, Bryce Huff, Jermaine Johnson, and Quinnen Williams? Sheeesh

• Upvote 2

Agree Smith would be a nice add, albeit not at 13. Feel the same way about Kancey. Think either would tear it up situationally but hard to spend a premium pick on that when the team needs more building blocks, even if what they bring is extremely valuable.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets are going to have a hard time passing on some of these DL if they hold onto the 13th pick. I think it ultimately gets traded, but man some of these guys are incredible athletes. Imagine 3rd down with Nolan Smith, Bryce Huff, Jermaine Johnson, and Quinnen Williams? Sheeesh

I don’t know that Nolan Smith osa good fit for Saleh, who seems to prefer bigger edge rushers. I think Nolan Smith will be better off in a 3-4.

1 minute ago, derp said:

Agree Smith would be a nice add, albeit not at 13. Feel the same way about Kancey. Think either would tear it up situationally but hard to spend a premium pick on that when the team needs more building blocks, even if what they bring is extremely valuable.

Well, if Rankins doesn’t come back, there will be a hole at DT. It’s not my preference to pick a DT at 13, but I can see it.

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don’t know that Nolan Smith osa good fit for Saleh, who seems to prefer bigger edge rushers. I think Nolan Smith will be better off in a 3-4.

Probably. But then again the way they used Bryce Huff in the wide-9 was wonderful. Unless you’re locking him up long-term you’re gonna want a viable replacement and feel like Nolan Smith would be deadly in that spot as well as in a rotation for this year

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Probably. But then again the way they used Bryce Huff in the wide-9 was wonderful. Unless you’re locking him up long-term you’re gonna want a viable replacement and feel like Nolan Smith would be deadly in that spot as well as in a rotation for this year

That’s absolutely fair, but picking a DPR at 13 is a little rich for my taste.

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Lukas Van Ness should continue to climb up boards running a 4.64 with a 1.64 split at 272 lbs. Vertical was mediocre at 31". He might be an under the radar consideration at 13 if the tackles are gone. 

"That" would be a "Very Poor" choice to make @ 13.                

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

Using the 13th pick on a guy who is going to get 35-40 % of the snaps is crazy.  There is no way the current jets regime have that kind of line up on 3rd down.  Bryce huff was getting like 20% of D snaps late last year, Johnson like 30% maybe.  We traded up for an edge rusher lat year and also drafted Clemons.

I'll be pretty upset if the jets draft a Dline or edge high this year with this scheme.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Using the 13th pick on a guy who is going to get 35-40 % of the snaps is crazy.  There is no way the current jets regime have that kind of line up on 3rd down.  Bryce huff was getting like 20% of D snaps late last year, Johnson like 30% maybe.  We traded up for an edge rusher lat year and also drafted Clemons.

I'll be pretty upset if the jets draft a Dline or edge high this year with this scheme.

Well, would you be upset if Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson were there at 13? 

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Well, would you be upset if Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson were there at 13? 

They won't be there.  A totally rare, totally exceptional guy sure go for it but be ready to watch their snap counts at the end of the year be like 50%.  This regime had to be dragged kicking a screaming into actually giving Quinnen more time.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What you like about Nolan Smith is that he was a five star, but the role he played at UGA was to smash the edge as fast and hard as he could so that other guys could make the plays. Did all the junkyard work

Nolan Smith at Combine: 6’2, 238, 32 5/8” arms, 9” hands, 4.39 40, 1.52 10, 41.5” vert, 128” broad

Micah Parsons at Pro Day: 6’3, 246, 31.5” arms, 11” hands, 4.36 40, 1.59 10, 34” vert, 126” broad

Smith seems like an elite intangibles guy too whereas Parsons had some questions.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Nolan Smith at Combine: 6’2, 238, 32 5/8” arms, 9” hands, 4.39 40, 1.52 10, 41.5” vert, 128” broad

Micah Parsons at Pro Day: 6’3, 246, 31.5” arms, 11” hands, 4.36 40, 1.59 10, 34” vert, 126” broad

Smith seems like an elite intangibles guy too whereas Parsons had some questions.

Exactly who I was thinking of. Nolan Smith is extremely high character, phenomenal team mate, team-first guy, and loves ball. I think he’s going to wind up going much earlier than many are expecting because teams see him as a guy who is going to be a much better pro than he was in college. Not only did the injury depress his stock, but keep in mind that Georgia had so much freaking depth and talent on that line which kind of prevented guys from becoming household names (see Travon Walker, 2022 1st overall pick)

I don’t think we wind up taking him, but really big fan of this guy

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Well, if Rankins doesn’t come back, there will be a hole at DT. It’s not my preference to pick a DT at 13, but I can see it.

Hopefully Kancey goes later but who knows. He is pretty slight. If he falls to the second that’d be fun.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Exactly who I was thinking of. Nolan Smith is extremely high character, phenomenal team mate, team-first guy, and loves ball. I think he’s going to wind up going much earlier than many are expecting because teams see him as a guy who is going to be a much better pro than he was in college. Not only did the injury depress his stock, but keep in mind that Georgia had so much freaking depth and talent on that line which kind of prevented guys from becoming household names (see Travon Walker, 2022 1st overall pick)

I don’t think we wind up taking him, but really big fan of this guy

He’s a fun, fun prospect. Always love the combo of tools and character. Dream is to get production as well but around 13 something has to give.

The team certainly has bigger fish to fry but it’s sometimes fun to imagine them taking guys who’d just kill it in roles on the team. Smith in the Huff role, Kancey tearing it up inside next to Q on third downs, etc.

Think either guy is too much at 13 for the role they’d play and not sure where they go exactly, maybe a little later because of that, but definitely fun prospects who’d make an impact on this DL.

• Upvote 1

Any thoughts from the board about DeMarvion Overshown from UT since I don't hear much chatter about him? It looks like he tested well and after watching a ton of UT games over the past couple of years he looks the part. He also seems to be a fit for our defense.    

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Captain Jack just obliterated the 3 cone drill.  He’s such a stud.  I am not lucky enough for him to land with us.

I fell into the trap of expecting Campbell to test poorly, but he tested well and finished at the top of a couple of categories. I'm intrigued. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What you like about Nolan Smith is that he was a five star, but the role he played at UGA was to smash the edge as fast and hard as he could so that other guys could make the plays. Did all the junkyard work

Sounds like a smaller Bryan Thomas. We never realized how important he was to that defense until he was hurt/ gone.

8 hours ago, maury77 said:

What offensive lineman do you like this year?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. Real life got in the way and I don't have the time I used to. 

Main reason I posted about Overshown is because he always stood out when I watched texas play and absolutely no one is talking about him...I don't get it. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2023 at 9:37 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Captain Jack just obliterated the 3 cone drill.  He’s such a stud.  I am not lucky enough for him to land with us.

Kirwin was raving about his short shuttle number. How high do you see him going - mid to late 1st? Early 2nd?

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

Kirwin was raving about his short shuttle number. How high do you see him going - mid to late 1st? Early 2nd?

I would guess 2nd.  In my opinion, his “tape”, which is me watching all of his games not actually watching tape has always said 2nd.  Maybe 3rd because it’s just not a position I see go high that often. I figured he would test much better than anticipated, but his short area burst surprised me.

• Upvote 1