Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

8 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I heard the packers front office loathes him for being the little shlt he’s been (much of it not public).   I think every time he opens his mouth to try to give more leverage to the jets the dog their heals in deeper

Why would he be trying to give leverage to the Jets if there was a 49ers possibility like you been saying ????

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We had 100% of the leverage, we had all the leverage when the process started.  By the Jets awful handling of the situation we handed the packers some leverage on a silver platter, just handed it to them.  Because the Jets have no other viable option and have 100% committed to a guy before we actually nailed down trade comp.

The trade will get done but it has gone on longer than it should have and we are going to pay a higher price than we should have, all self inflicted.  We allowed the Packers to become the pain in the ass they are right now.

This take is played out. Give it up. Green Bay has nowhere to go but us, with that contract. You have completely misread this entire situation. But stick to your guns. Can’t reverse course now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

We had 100% of the leverage, we had all the leverage when the process started.  By the Jets awful handling of the situation we handed the packers some leverage on a silver platter, just handed it to them.  Because the Jets have no other viable option and have 100% committed to a guy before we actually nailed down trade comp.
The trade will get done but it has gone on longer than it should have and we are going to pay a higher price than we should have, all self inflicted.  We allowed the Packers to become the pain in the ass they are right now.

If Rogers falls through the Jets will roll with any stop gap and Wilson at QB

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

JD is excellent at trading away assets. He's a great liquidator
but history has shown he's terrible at trading for assets.
James Robinson. Joe Flacco are two examples of how he botches this side of the transaction 
Jamal Adams ... Garret Wilson ... Not bad.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Being completely objective, Gute picked a QB in the first round, did not pick a WR in that draft, the Packers did not make the Super Bowl despite AR being a two year MVP, and now have decided to trade away/run out/not play AR to give Jordan Love a chance.  They will also likely pick up his fifth year option.,

If Love does not take the Packers on a playoff run in 2024, I think Gute should be toast.  

JD is in a similar spot.  If he does not get Rodgers, I think his extension is on very thin ice.  

Also, since you gave Rodgers version of how this went down:

the packers felt Love could be a franchise quarterback and they believe it’s better to not wait to find one of those until you are desperate and are forced to pay more than the going rate(clears throat).

the plan was to go with Rodgers but last year the entire team was bad and it was clear there was no longer a Super Bowl window    But wholesale roster changes can’t be made when you have a 50 million dollar quarterback     Add to that Love seems to have figured things out   So the time to move was this offseason before the big roster bonus    To just stand Pat would mean losing love and having an expensive quarterback with a poor team around him

Rodgers numbers were pedestrian the year prior and he was mulling retirement every year.   Most good GMs agree with taking a quarterback at that point and let him learn under a HOF QB for a couple seasons.   Idiot talking heads on tv disagree.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

JD is excellent at trading away assets. He's a great liquidator

but history has shown he's terrible at trading for assets.

James Robinson. Joe Flacco are two examples of how he botches this side of the transaction 

Yeah because 6th round picks are extremely valuable these days. Can’t believe some of the strange takes on this board from apparent long time Jet followers. Obviously the narrative for some of you is to find the negative in everything. But this is laughable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I could see this being at least partially true.  Of course that implies that the Packer's front office is blind to their own contributions to the feud, like drafting defensive players in the 1st round 10 years in a row.  But that's all water under the bridge now. 

In any case, I'd love if this turned out to be the reality, but even all of the drama turns out to be unequivocally 100% on GB and AR, Beerfish will still blame the Jets.  He's dug in way too deep now.

So yeah, that’s one way to look at the packers drafts but know this: the packers original sin was having crappy DC’s with poor schemes and not developing guys.   Many of those years we lost in the playoffs because the defense couldn’t hold teams at key moments.    Rodgers wasn’t getting first round receivers because we always had a top offense those years.    The defense always seemed to be soft.  So it’s Rodgers fault: he was so good the packers let him carry the offense to try to get defensive help

20 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Rodgers numbers were pedestrian the year prior and he was mulling retirement every year.   Most good GMs agree with taking a quarterback at that point and let him learn under a HOF QB for a couple seasons.   Idiot talking heads on tv disagree.  

Just to be clear, you're talking about 2019?

4,000 yards, 26 TDs to 4 INTs.  13-3 record.  *Only* a 62% completion percentage.  

Not up to his standards, perhaps, but 'pedestrian' seems a bit strong.  The issue that everyone outside of GB recognized is that GB really did not support Rodgers in any visible way for pretty much his entire career.  Had they done almost anything more in the 2020 offseason, the Packers could easily have beaten TB and moved on to the Super Bowl. 

Was taking a flyer on a QB at that point worth sacrificing the best shot at a Super Bowl that year?  I have a hard time with that one.

2005 24 Aaron Rodgers  # QB California  
2006 5 A. J. Hawk # LB Ohio State  
2007 16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee  
2008 No Pick [gg]
2009 9 B. J. Raji # DT Boston College  
26 Clay Matthews III # LB USC [hh]
2010 23 Bryan Bulaga T Iowa  
2011 32 Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State  
2012 28 Nick Perry DE USC  
2013 26 Datone Jones DE UCLA  
2014 21 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix # S Alabama  
2015 30 Damarious Randall S Arizona State  
2016 27 Kenny Clark # NT UCLA  
2017 No Pick [tj]
2018 18 Jaire Alexander # CB Louisville  
2019 12 Rashan Gary DE Michigan  
21 Darnell Savage S Maryland  
2020 26 Jordan Love QB Utah State  
2021 29 Eric Stokes CB Georgia  
2022 22 Quay Walker ILB Georgia  
28 Devonte Wyatt DL Georgia

Two OTs, one QB, and 15 defensive players in 1st round since they drafted Rodgers.  And the defense still wasn't good.  I can see why Rodgers would be cranky.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Yeah because 6th round picks are extremely valuable these days. Can’t believe some of the strange takes on this board from apparent long time Jet followers. Obviously the narrative for some of you is to find the negative in everything. But this is laughable. 

Joe Flacco was a 5th round pick 

And the niners found brock Purdy with a 7th 

These picks are only worthless when they biff the picks every year 

Other teams find players 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

as you have admitted, the only "leverage" we had was if we willing to say pass on rodgers and sign jimmy g, an option you referred to as "yuck"

while carr may have been a legit alternative (for the record, he was my preferred option, preserving draft picks and cap space and providing a medium-term solution that wouldn't prohibit finding a long-term solution via the draft in the next year or so), carr was not a viable option as he signed before the jets were even able to meet with rodgers.

so there is no "leverage" the jets forfeited if the goal was to end up with rodgers.  once you get past carr, the rest of the options are "yuck" (your words for jimmy g) and choices even less desirable than "yuck"

so stop repeating the same crap over and over again unless you want to specifically spell out what other option the jets should have pursued and how it would have resulted in rodgers being a jets player today. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

your proof that he can't acquire assets are two trades where he gave up 6th round picks.

i'd call that a clownish attempt, but that would be an insult to all the hard working clowns out there...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Idk

-He missed on the QB when fields and mac were better, remember the reports that it was darnold or Zach no other QB

not defending zach here, but mac sucks almost as much and fields hasn't exactly excelled at passing the ball (GREAT runner though and a very useful fantasy asset, but don't think that's why the bears traded for him).  this year will be big for fields

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Gute just got a new contract in July 2022 - he's not getting fired in 2024. There's not even an owner to do the firing out there.  

there are plenty of cases of coaches and GMs being fired less than 2 years into a new contract.

and do you really think gute doesn't report to anyone?  i can't say i know the exact management structure in GB, but if there was some entity (board of directors, i assume) in place to hire and extend gute, then yes, there is some entity in place to fire him. 

that's yet another really dumb take

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This take is played out. Give it up. Green Bay has nowhere to go but us, with that contract. You have completely misread this entire situation. But stick to your guns. Can’t reverse course now. 

Let me ask you a couple of questions?

If the packers have no leverage and jets have it all why is the deal not done now?  The jets do not want this dragged out interfering with their draft plans work out plans etc.  Why?  Why have the packers not just accepted our best offer?

Second question for you what is an acceptable level of compensation for us to give to the packers?  Knowing that they have no other suitors we have all the leverage and it is us or no one?  What is a good price to pay?  A lone 3rd or 4th rounder probably?

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pick # 18 overall.  So close bit!

I wonder who he was thinking of?  Cousins (4th)?  

Not the original pick

I saw Joe Flacco in Mobile, btw.

Referring to JD trading FOR Joe Flacco from the Eagles after Zach Wilson Injury

Flacco was traded not for a straight 5th but a conditional 5th/6th depending on playing time

I am not sure if he hit those incentives or not and am too lazy to google it all afternoon 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

there are plenty of cases of coaches and GMs being fired less than 2 years into a new contract.

and do you really think gute doesn't report to anyone?  i can't say i know the exact management structure in GB, but if there was some entity (board of directors, i assume) in place to hire and extend gute, then yes, there is some entity in place to fire him. 

that's yet another really dumb take

They have a President named Mark Murphy who sits for the Packers at the Owner's meetings

but they don't fire people on a whim in GB. These contracts usually run their course, not like here in NY

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not the original pick

Flacco was traded not for a straight 5th but a conditional 5th/6th depending on playing time

I am not sure if he hit those incentives or not and am too lazy to google it all afternoon 

Got it.  I thought it ended up being a 6th.  Still not great if so but definitely better than a 5th.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Every draft pick has the potential to be valuable if you use it correctly  - even as a way to trade up in another round

Is that really where we're at with JD? It's ok that he wastes day 3 picks because those don't matter anyway?

End-stage JD supporters can point to Sauce, Garrett Wilson, and basically nothing for the case that JD's improved the roster

Hitting on top 10 picks isn't that hard you guys. Hit on the mid and late-round picks that separates the average GM from the great

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not the original pick

it was a 6th.  

in fact, it ended up being a 6th acquired from tampa in exchange for steve mclendon

so effectively the jets traded mclendon (and a 2023 7th) for flacco.  mclendon is now out of football

so, not exactly some catastrophic trade which proves your point that JD can't trade for assets.    

Idk
-He missed on the QB when fields and mac were better, remember the reports that it was darnold or Zach no other QB
-He drafted becton when the obvious pick weny later to Tampa
Im scared of the thought of JD drafting the next LT and QB. 
Fields and Mac? Oh boy.
  • Upvote 1

Every draft pick has the potential to be valuable if you use it correctly  - even as a way to trade up in another round
Is that really where we're at with JD? It's ok that he wastes day 3 picks because those don't matter anyway?
End-stage JD supporters can point to Sauce, Garrett Wilson, and basically nothing for the case that JD's improved the roster
Hitting on top 10 picks isn't that hard you guys. Hit on the mid and late-round picks that separates the average GM from the great

When are you going to bring up Tom Brady?

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Let me ask you a couple of questions?

If the packers have no leverage and jets have it all why is the deal not done now?  The jets do not want this dragged out interfering with their draft plans work out plans etc.  Why?  Why have the packers not just accepted our best offer?

Second question for you what is an acceptable level of compensation for us to give to the packers?  Knowing that they have no other suitors we have all the leverage and it is us or no one?  What is a good price to pay?  A lone 3rd or 4th rounder probably?

Because both parties want to see who is on the board to maximize value. There's no reason to box yourself in now when you don't know who's on the board. 

What if Bryce young randomly falls to 13 or Jalen Carter falls out of the 1st

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

not defending zach here, but mac sucks almost as much and fields hasn't exactly excelled at passing the ball (GREAT runner though and a very useful fantasy asset, but don't think that's why the bears traded for him).  this year will be big for fields

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, oatmeal said:
Idk
-He drafted becton when the obvious pick weny later to Tampa
Im scared of the thought of JD drafting the next LT and QB. 

Fields and Mac? Oh boy.

Jets fans are like the drunk uncle 

NO IM BOT SAYING FIELDS AND MAC ARE GOOD QBS, WHAT IM SAYING IS THEY ARE BETTER THAN ZACH WILSON 

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They have a President named Mark Murphy who sits for the Packers at the Owner's meetings

but they don't fire people on a whim in GB. These contracts usually run their course, not like here in NY

both their former coach (mccarthy) and former GM (thompson) were fired.  yes, they had long tenures, but in the end, they weren't performing and got fired by murphy.  mccarthy was given a contract extension before the 2018 season and fired before the season ended.

so again, the fact that they don't have a solitary owner doesn't mean their coach/GM won't/can't be held liable for poor performance and fired 

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Jets fans are like the drunk uncle 

NO IM BOT SAYING FIELDS AND MAC ARE GOOD QBS, WHAT IM SAYING IS THEY ARE BETTER THAN ZACH WILSON 

speaking of drunk uncles, you are like the one who complains about everything under the sun (for the record, i do not have such an uncle, but rather am using the stereotype)

quite honestly, if mac jones were the 2nd pick for the jets and had the coaching/team surrounding him that zach did, i'm pretty sure almost every jets fan here would be calling him a bust.  probably the same with justin fields.

fields' rushing ability gives him some promise if he can elevate his game like a jalen hurts did (remains to be seen).  mac jones sucks as much as zach, just he has a better head coach who can better cover up his poor play.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Because both parties want to see who is on the board to maximize value. There's no reason to box yourself in now when you don't know who's on the board. 

What if Bryce young randomly falls to 13 or Jalen Carter falls out of the 1st

what happens at 13 should have nothing to do with it as the packers are not getting 13.  What effect is what happens in the draft have to do with anything?  Are the jets going to say, no we do not want rodgers we want a C in the 2nd round instead?

No reason to wait for the draft for the jets.  (And my comment above was in response to the guy who has been adamant all along that the jets have 100% of the leverage and the packers have none.)

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

as you have admitted, the only "leverage" we had was if we willing to say pass on rodgers and sign jimmy g, an option you referred to as "yuck"

while carr may have been a legit alternative (for the record, he was my preferred option, preserving draft picks and cap space and providing a medium-term solution that wouldn't prohibit finding a long-term solution via the draft in the next year or so), carr was not a viable option as he signed before the jets were even able to meet with rodgers.

so there is no "leverage" the jets forfeited if the goal was to end up with rodgers.  once you get past carr, the rest of the options are "yuck" (your words for jimmy g) and choices even less desirable than "yuck"

so stop repeating the same crap over and over again unless you want to specifically spell out what other option the jets should have pursued and how it would have resulted in rodgers being a jets player today. 

@Beerfish - still waiting for your response.  seems you are otherwise engaged in this thread, but not answering my post.

and to be clear, i am not saying the jets have 100% leverage as you are arguing elsewhere.  i have just said your position that the jets should have imposed a deadline and since they didn't they squandered leverage is not reflective of reality.  unless of course you deem jimmy g or gardner minshew as perfectly suitable alternatives to getting rodgers.  and i remind you that you referred to jimmy g as "yuck"