Tracker: Remaining Roster Holes

DL is not ideal, but I think they could manage with what they have, and will likely have little motivation to put any serious investment into the position with what's left, other than perhaps the possibility of some low-dollar FAs / late round picks for depth.  They could theoretically get by with keeping Lawson around, kicking JFM inside, and letting JJ, Huff, and Clemons battle it out for the other outside spot, as the team seems to have good things to say about all 3.

OL is the total opposite.  Pretty much the only guy you can actually rely on is AVT, hoping there's no long-term impact from injury.  Tomlinson is terrible but the ridiculous contract and subsequent renegotiation has guaranteed him the other starting guard spot, which is all the more reason he needs to be surrounded by talent as the unit's weak link, which is nowhere close to the current situation.  They have next to nothing at center and pair of tackles that could both be on IR by the end of OTAs (in fairness to Brown he did play 12 games, but hardly reason for optimism about the future health of a 38-year old who got IR'ed twice last year).  A lot more still needs to be done here, otherwise they don't get another year of excuses if/when the OL falls apart again, given how clearly foreseeable it is.

Many of the other positions they can probably get away with, even if we may not like it.  Assuming the Rodgers trade ever even happens (which I'll only believe when it does), Wilson is all but guaranteed to get the #2 job.  JD has no motivation to do differently, as it would only make himself look worse.  I get the points on safety but they've also shown in recent years to give very little value to the position, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're fine rotating what they have, for better or for worse.

LB is a different story, and one I have no idea what JD is thinking, as for all of the flack the safeties deservedly got, this was the unit actually worse on that defense, and yet so far the plan has been nothing but to spend a lot more money on the same guys.  CJ is a total albatross at his laughable contract, and Quincy is a guy who was admittedly a decent ROI when no more than a waiver claim for dirt cheap at a position of weakness, but is also a wildly inconsistent player who doesn't deserve to be handed a starting job.  Granted they managed to get away with the unit last year, so it's possible they can again, but doubling-down on a losing hand is still idiotic, and if we end up with the improved Jets O that we're hoping for, they're certain to be tested only more.  I suppose we can hold out hope some of the young depth finally has the light turn on this year, but even if that happens, unless JD is willing to outright cut CJ there's only 1 position left any of them will even get a look at.

Outside of Garret Wilson and an injured RB, the offensive cast is below league average. And we are picking up a 39 yr old HOF QB who talks about retiring every year. 

How anyone wants to spend more notable dollars on the defense or the 13th pick on defense, I have no idea. 

12 minutes ago, Barton said:

Outside of Garret Wilson and an injured RB, the offensive cast is below league average. And we are picking up a 39 yr old HOF QB who talks about retiring every year. 

How anyone wants to spend more notable dollars on the defense or the 13th pick on defense, I have no idea. 

Completely (and respectfully) disagree.

Our QB and OC could have made Jerry Rice look mediocre.

AVT is a STUD.

Elijah Moore has a route win rate at the 75%tile. Jetsxfactor has a good article on this if anyone is interested.  Also noted how he was 2nd among WRs on missed tackle rate.  

Our TEs are average, both having started and contributed before coming to the Jets.  Amazing how much better CJ Uzomah looked with a great quarterback.  Same w/ Conklin with an above average one.

Duane Brown played with a torn rotator cuff last year, a Pro Bowler the year before.

Both Becton & Mitchell are intriguing talents for different reasons.  Need 1 of them to lock down a starting spot.

Lazard is a young, quality #2 WR who has gotten better each of the last few years.  

Need a starting Center and another Tackle.

Tomlinson was awful last year.  No argument there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LT isn’t a hole, and I’d probably rather they just go with Brown than trade a draft pick for Williams. If a very obvious upgrade presents itself, fine, but hopefully no moves just to make a move.

Left and right tackles aren't holes if Brown stays healthy and Becton stays healthy.  But what happens if one of these guys go down for a few weeks due to injury, or worse than a few weeks?  What happens after this year when Brown retires?  What happens after this year if Becton gets hurt again?

The thing is, offensive tackle is one of the strongest positions in this draft, and 1 of the top 3 will most probably be available at #13.  It seems logical to grab one of them at #13.  If the Jets could have gotten Orlando Brown, then drafting one would be off the table for this year.  But just the fact that the Jets tried to get Brown, tells you that the Jets brass feels the same way that I do, which is that they need to pick up a quality tackle before the year begins.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/19/ny-jets-interest-free-agent-pro-bowl/

One name to watch with Jets in free agency is center Ben Jones. The former Titan was with new Jets OL coach Keith Carter over last 5 years in Tennessee. Hearing there is interest in a possible reunion.

New York Jets have their eyes on a new center

The New York Jets‘ starting center position remains vacant. Previous starter Connor McGovern is a free agent and the team has not signed a viable replacement yet. New York did sign former Ravens center Trystan Colon, although Colon only has four career starts.

It seems Joe Douglas has his eyes on a replacement for McGovern. Brian Costello of the New York Post reports he is hearing “there is possible interest in a reunion” between free agent center Ben Jones and Jets offensive line coach Keith Carter, who coached Jones with the Titans over the past five seasons.

Jones, who turns 34 in July, is coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance. However, despite the lack of Pro Bowl recognition prior to 2022, Jones has actually been one of the most productive centers in the NFL for a long time. He consistently ranks as one of the most efficient pass-blocking centers in the league.

The 2022 season was Jones’ 11th in the NFL, but he still performed at a solid level in pass protection, ranking 14th-best out of 34 qualified centers with an allowed pressure rate of 2.7%.

Health is a concern for Jones as he just missed a career-high total of five games in 2022. All five of those missed games were due to concussions, coming over two separate stints. Jones was then released by Tennessee due to a failed physical.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, derp said:

Going position by position depth wise instead of just starters by guys with some track record of being on the roster or FA's who seem like they'll stick.

QB: Wilson - need a couple guys here, one maybe in the works already, short rumors thread on that guy

RB: Hall, Carter, Knight - probably a TC body but nothing major here

FB: Bawden if they keep somebody - draft a possibility

TE: Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert - maybe a backup but not really a need

WR: Wilson, Lazard, Moore, Mims, Davis - seems like draft maybe for a special teamer or Rodgers depth pieces but a solid first three (assume Davis gets axed)

OL: Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Vera-Tucker, Tomlinson, Colon, Schweitzer - I think this has gotten to the point they can draft a tackle and G/C and see where everything falls but wouldn't mind McGovern back or a clear tackle upgrade, a spot they can be opportunistic

DE: Lawson, Huff, JFM, Clemons, Johnson - could throw another body in here, becomes a need if they cut Lawson

DT: Williams, Thomas, Smart - JFM can kick inside but need bodies here, at least one FA and probably a draft pick

LB: Mosley, Williams, Sherwood, Nasirildeen - another spot they can be opportunistic for that third linebacker with Williams returning, hopefully draft but no issue with the right affordable FA; jumps up if they get rid of Mosley

CB: Gardner, Reed, Carter, Echols, Hall - best position group on the team on paper?

S: Whitehead, Clark, Parks, Adams Davis - know they like Adams, either he's expected to take a big leap or they can be opportunistic with a FS type in FA or the draft since Whitehead and Clark strike me as redundant and I don't know if Whitehead's roster spot is safe.

K: Zuerlein - I'm sure they'll bring in a camp body

P: Morstead - bye Mann

LS: Hennessy - all good

Somewhere in the mid 40's of guys with seemingly three cut candidates. Think C, DT, and obviously QB have the biggest play time holes followed by LB. Then T just has a bunch of uncertainty and S has some role mismatch. And from there DE, LB, and S could jump up the list if guys get cut - WR is pretty good as is even if they let go of Davis.

Your breakdown is pretty spot on. 

I think there are 4 clear holes. 4 positions where we don't have a plan for potential starters  - QB, C, DT, and FS.  

QB- Very good chance we are getting Rodgers.

C- Huge hole. But Jets might just draft one early. 

DT- Hole but not critical, IMO. A number of options to fill this role. FA, draft, maybe both. We don't need a premier or high level starter player here. Just a quality role player to play next to Q. 

FS- As so many have pointed out, Clark and Whitehead are both box safeties. Whitehead might get cut to clear cap. Or both might end up sticking. At any rate. A true ballhawk FS is needed. Good chance the Jets simply resign Joyner on the cheap and draft a FS, with Adams in the mix competing for a starting spot. 

53 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Your breakdown is pretty spot on. 

I think there are 4 clear holes. 4 positions where we don't have a plan for potential starters  - QB, C, DT, and FS.  

QB- Very good chance we are getting Rodgers.

C- Huge hole. But Jets might just draft one early. 

DT- Hole but not critical, IMO. A number of options to fill this role. FA, draft, maybe both. We don't need a premier or high level starter player here. Just a quality role player to play next to Q. 

FS- As so many have pointed out, Clark and Whitehead are both box safeties. Whitehead might get cut to clear cap. Or both might end up sticking. At any rate. A true ballhawk FS is needed. Good chance the Jets simply resign Joyner on the cheap and draft a FS, with Adams in the mix competing for a starting spot. 

To me both that Colon and Schweitzer can play center and have a little upside nods slightly to waiting for the draft, but a veteran would be welcome.

Agree DT should be somebody but maybe nothing major.

Won’t make folks happy but I could see an argument that Brian Branch is the biggest day one impact they can draft if they bring in Rodgers, and 13 isn’t a bad spot for him.

Not big on drafting safeties early but the Bama nickel -> NFL S pipeline has been legit and if you draft a guy early it’s because he can cover a little not because he’s a box guy and I think that’s Branch. Historically a spot the Ravens have drafted as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Alka said:

Left and right tackles aren't holes if Brown stays healthy and Becton stays healthy.  But what happens if one of these guys go down for a few weeks due to injury, or worse than a few weeks?  What happens after this year when Brown retires?  What happens after this year if Becton gets hurt again?

The thing is, offensive tackle is one of the strongest positions in this draft, and 1 of the top 3 will most probably be available at #13.  It seems logical to grab one of them at #13.  If the Jets could have gotten Orlando Brown, then drafting one would be off the table for this year.  But just the fact that the Jets tried to get Brown, tells you that the Jets brass feels the same way that I do, which is that they need to pick up a quality tackle before the year begins.

You could say that about literally every position group on every team in the NFL; that they don't have holes if their starters remain healthy.

I've got no problems whatsoever with the Jets drafting a LT early - quite the contrary - but that doesn't equate to the Jets having active, current starter holes. What's as concerning is the only tackle who's under contract past this year is Mitchell. Combine that with Becton being an unlikely 5th year option after the last two seasons (it's one thing to bet on him this year; it's another to bet on him for the next 2 out of 2 seasons), plus Brown's age making an extension unlikely (at least at this point in time), that drafting or otherwise acquiring another young tackle makes sense.

Yes LT would've been off the table in round 1 if they'd signed Orlando Brown, but whomever else they ultimately sign with that $ would've then been off the table as well. Until shown otherwise in a month-plus, then (even aside from the Rodgers transaction) I'm confident they're not done assembling their pre-draft roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1