Tracker: Remaining Roster Holes

Thought it might be nice to centralize here.

Who is still available?

Starting Center:  Quiet after missing out on Brendel, who signed back with the 49ers.

McGovern, Ryan Kelly (might be traded/cut), Will Clapp, Draft, anyone else?

Left Tackle  Quiet after missing out on Brown who signed with the Bengals.

Jonah Williams (via trade— allowed 20 sacks the last 2 years), Draft, anyone else?

Starting Defensive Tackle:  Let Rankins walk for a 1 year deal w/ the Saints.  Missed out on Cox who stayed with the Eagles.

Calais Campbell (6 sacks w/ Ravens last year, continues to grade well after being dominant for years), Poona Ford after several very good years with Seattle, Draft, who else?

Starting Free Safety:  Surprisingly haven’t heard a peep.  Clark likely replaces Whitehead at SS.  Neither is great deep, big need for someone with range.

Pro Bowler Kevin Byard might be cut after being asked to take a pay cut by the Titans).  Separately, how much do the Jets like Tony Adams?

Sub Linebacker

Re-sign Kwon, replace with Sherwood, FA, or Draft?  Will they use Clark in this role who has excelled covering Tight Ends (possibly rotating at SS w/ Whitehead)?

Back-up QB:  White wisely chose Dolphins where he has a chance to start if Tua has another concussion

Are we really going with Wilson as the back-up?  Others are signing elsewhere (Minshew, Rush, Mariota).  Jets would be wise to use a mid round draft pick to develop post Rodgers.. but not as the primary backup ..

Jets could easily free up $32M from Davis, Lawson, Whitehead to sign some good players here.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Who is still available?

Starting Center:  Quiet after missing out on Brendel, who signed back with the 49er

Clapp and Pocic still available, amongst others (Hudson, etc.). If I am not mistaken.

There were also rumblings that the Jets took a liking to JMS out of Minn who is considered a plug and play rookie prospect. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Who is still available?

Starting Center:  Quiet after missing out on Brendel, who signed back with the 49ers.

McGovern, Draft, anyone else?

Jonah Williams (via trade— allowed 20 sacks the last 2 years), Draft, anyone else?

Starting Defensive Tackle:  Let Rankins walk for a 1 year deal w/ the Saints.  Missed out on Cox who stayed with the Eagles.

Calais Campbell (6 sacks w/ Ravens last year, continues to grade well after being dominant for years), Draft, who else?

Starting Free Safety:  Surprisingly haven’t heard a peep.  Clark likely replaces Whitehead at SS.  Neither is great deep, big need for someone with range.

Pro Bowler Kevin Byard might be cut after being asked to take a pay cut by the Titans).  Separately, how much do the Jets like Tony Adams?

Sub Linebacker

Re-sign Kwon, replace with Sherwood, FA, or Draft?  Will they use Clark in this role who has excelled covering Tight Ends (possibly rotating at SS w/ Whitehead)

Back-up QB:  White wisely chose Dolphins where he has a chance to start if Tua has another concussion

Are we really going with Wilson as the back-up?  Others are signing elsewhere (Minshew, Rush, Mariota).  Jets would be wise to use a mid round draft pick to develop post Rodgers.. but not as the primary backup ..

Jets could easily free up $32M from Davis, Lawson, Whitehead to sign some good players here.

Starting Center: Hopefully this ends up being John Schmitz or another C from the draft (rounds 2-4 looks like some good prospects will be available). If not, maybe McGovern will still be available post draft.

Left Tackle: I think we have our LT between Duane Brown and Mekhi Becton. With AVTs flexibility we may be more patient at T than people are expecting.

Starting Defensive Tackle: Could it be Solomon?

Back-up QB: It's Zach Wilson, like it or not. I'd like to see us draft a QB to develop round 4-6.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First round—. Offensive Tackle, Center or Defensive Tackle?

If the Jets like JMS, they are targeting him for Rd. 2 or bottom of Rd. 1 in a trade down scenario. 

If we stand pat at 13, I would not be surprised to see a BAP selection. An Edge or OT. 

DT depth will almost certainly be signed in FA or late in the draft. No way JD takes a DT in Rd 1-3. Not with the current depth we have on our D-line, even with the departure of Rankins and Shep. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Starting Center: Hopefully this ends up being John Schmitz or another C from the draft (rounds 2-4 looks like some good prospects will be available). If not, maybe McGovern will still be available post draft.

Left Tackle: I think we have our LT between Duane Brown and Mekhi Becton. 

Starting Defensive Tackle: Could it be Solomon?

Back-up QB: It's Zach Wilson, like it or not. I'd like to see us draft a QB to develop round 4-6.

We better not start Solomon Thomas.  Coming off a bad year, can’t stop the run and didn’t create a lot of pressure.

If we can’t stop the run, we give the opponents a real strategy for slowing down the game / our high octane offense.

If Rodgers gets hurt, you are relying on Zach?  If so, bye bye Saleh & Douglas when he inevitably fails.

The Jets already showed their cards in pursuit of Orlando Brown JR.  I didn’t list Left Tackle as as a starting hole for the same reason as yours but it seems clear the Jets want to add someone else good to the room.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We better not start Solomon Thomas.  Coming off a bad year, can’t stop the run and didn’t create a lot of pressure.

If we can’t stop the run, we give the opponents a real strategy for slowing down the game / our high octane offense.

If Rodgers gets hurt, you are relying on Zach?  If so, bye bye Saleh & Douglas when he inevitably fails.

The Jets already showed their cards in pursuit of Orlando Brown JR.  I didn’t list Left Tackle as as a starting hole for the same reason as yours but it seems clear the Jets want to add someone else good to the room.  

Wouldn't surprise me if we added a T in FA or the draft but the starter is probably on the team. I think Jonah Williams is awful and not someone we should pursue. I thought you were saying starting LT was a hole.

I don't want to rely on Zack for jack sh*t but he's almost certainly going to be our backup QB.

• Upvote 2

Clapp and Pocic still available, amongst others (Hudson, etc.). If I am not mistaken.
There were also rumblings that the Jets took a liking to JMS out of Minn who is considered a plug and play rookie prospect. 
Pocic re-signed with Cleveland.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we added a T in FA or the draft but the starter is probably on the team. I think Jonah Williams is awful and not someone we should pursue. I thought you were saying starting LT was a hole.

I don't want to rely on Zack for jack sh*t but he's almost certainly going to be our backup QB.

Agreed on Tackle.

Man— I hope not on Zach.  It’s so painful to watch … so painful 

• Sympathy 1

Going position by position depth wise instead of just starters by guys with some track record of being on the roster or FA's who seem like they'll stick.

QB: Wilson - need a couple guys here, one maybe in the works already, short rumors thread on that guy

RB: Hall, Carter, Knight - probably a TC body but nothing major here

FB: Bawden if they keep somebody - draft a possibility

TE: Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert - maybe a backup but not really a need

WR: Wilson, Lazard, Moore, Mims, Davis - seems like draft maybe for a special teamer or Rodgers depth pieces but a solid first three (assume Davis gets axed)

OL: Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Vera-Tucker, Tomlinson, Colon, Schweitzer - I think this has gotten to the point they can draft a tackle and G/C and see where everything falls but wouldn't mind McGovern back or a clear tackle upgrade, a spot they can be opportunistic

DE: Lawson, Huff, JFM, Clemons, Johnson - could throw another body in here, becomes a need if they cut Lawson

DT: Williams, Thomas, Smart - JFM can kick inside but need bodies here, at least one FA and probably a draft pick

LB: Mosley, Williams, Sherwood, Nasirildeen - another spot they can be opportunistic for that third linebacker with Williams returning, hopefully draft but no issue with the right affordable FA; jumps up if they get rid of Mosley

CB: Gardner, Reed, Carter, Echols, Hall - best position group on the team on paper?

S: Whitehead, Clark, Parks, Adams Davis - know they like Adams, either he's expected to take a big leap or they can be opportunistic with a FS type in FA or the draft since Whitehead and Clark strike me as redundant and I don't know if Whitehead's roster spot is safe.

K: Zuerlein - I'm sure they'll bring in a camp body

P: Morstead - bye Mann

LS: Hennessy - all good

Somewhere in the mid 40's of guys with seemingly three cut candidates. Think C, DT, and obviously QB have the biggest play time holes followed by LB. Then T just has a bunch of uncertainty and S has some role mismatch. And from there DE, LB, and S could jump up the list if guys get cut - WR is pretty good as is even if they let go of Davis.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Pocic re-signed with Cleveland.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I am a little surprised JD hasn’t been more aggressive filling these holes since Rodgers seems inevitable and his cap cost is no more than $16M this year and $32M next year.  Could be lower if the Packers eat some cap as part of a trade.

We have 3 players we can cut to free up & re-allocate over $30M in cap dollars.

I have a lot of faith in JD, he’s been on a roll since the Zach failure.

Curious what his plan is since presumably this is the year we want to load up and make a run.

Also curious if he believes he can fill many of these via the draft since it’s almost certain we’ll be losing a premium round draft pick (rounds 1-3).

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I added Clapp to the OP.  Pocic re-signed and Hudson looks like he is retiring.  

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Who is still available?

McGovern, Draft, anyone else?

Calais Campbell (6 sacks w/ Ravens last year, continues to grade well after being dominant for years), Draft, who else?

Sub Linebacker

Re-sign Kwon, replace with Sherwood, FA, or Draft?  Will they use Clark in this role who has excelled covering Tight Ends (possibly rotating at SS w/ Whitehead)

LT isn’t a hole, and I’d probably rather they just go with Brown than trade a draft pick for Williams. If a very obvious upgrade presents itself, fine, but hopefully no moves just to make a move.

S isn’t a hole. They have two starters, worries about FS/SS designations aside. Figure those are this year’s starters & aside from the draft they could always re-sign Joyner as depth.

C technically isn’t a hole (they’re set up to draft one, and if they sign a 3rd veteran to be the starter then you can forget about them drafting one this year)

DT is a hole. Absolutely. I think an older veteran pairs well with a draft pick given Saleh’s heavy rotations.

QB2 isn’t a hole. Would be surprised if they sign another veteran until at least after the draft, if not until the summer. The team’s goal isn’t necessarily shared by the fans. They’re not relegating ZW to QB3 before they at least see him in practice again.

LB is hard to say. The team got a better look at Sherwood than we did. He’ll now enter his second season at his new weight. They’ll still need another body either way. l’ve no issues re-signing Kwon if no one else is offering him starter money either.

jmo

• Upvote 3

Here’s an updated list of remaining free agents.  Per Gregg Rosenthal (Around the NFL).

BEST AVAILABLE

Rank

This is a photo of C.J. Gardner Johnson of the Philadelphia Eagles NFL football team. This image reflects the Philadelphia Eagles active roster as of Friday, Sept. 23, 2022. (AP Photo)

NFL general managers probably won't value an undersized slot corner/safety this highly, but I do! Gardner-Johnson is a dog, nipping at the heels of opponents. His versatility makes him ideal for this pass-happy era, and he can still deliver big hits. 

Rank

Odell Beckham

WR · Age: 30

On one hand, OBJ, who did not play at all in 2022, has had time to recuperate from his second ACL surgery last February. On the other, he's had two ACL surgeries since 2020. In a dry season for free agent receiver talent, Beckham would still bring juice to any offense. 

Rank

Bobby Wagner

LB · Age: 33

The man was a second-team All-Pro last year! He doesn’t fit the Rams’ timeline hence his release, but Wagner proved in 2022 he’s still playing at an elite level and could be the final piece for a team needing help.

Rank

Dalton Schultz

TE · Age: 27

Schultz gained 619 yards with eight touchdowns in 13 games after he and Dak Prescott returned from injury in Week 7, including a monster playoff game in Tampa (seven catches, 95 yards, two scores). The Cowboys essentially chose Schultz over receiver Amari Cooperlast offseason, when they tagged Schultz and traded Cooper away, and they should try to keep the tight end.

Rank

Yannick Ngakoue

Edge · Age: 28

Sacks and QB hits sell, but Ngakoue's inability to stop the run is probably why he's likely headed to his sixth team in four years. This section of the Top 101 is where the 2023 crop begins to feel thinner than groups from previous years, because there aren't as many plus starters available.

Rank

D.J. Chark

WR · Age: 26

Speed is sorely lacking in this thin wideout market. Chark is absolutely getting a bump because he can stretch the field in a league where each team needs three to four quality wideouts.

Rank

Poona Ford

DL · Age: 27

One big mistake I see in free agent evaluations is overrating the previous year instead of considering the full body of work over a player's career. Like tight end Mike Gesicki, Ford is hitting free agency after a down year. Neither player fit in new schemes in 2022, but Ford previously showed enough traits as a high-level penetrator for me to believe there are more good seasons to come. 

Rank

Shaquill Griffin

CB · Age: 28

There is no other position with a greater variance than cornerback, even among quality starters. Griffin has the combination of youth, experience (72 career starts) and a track record of being an asset that is worth betting on as a bounce-back candidate.

Rank

Jadeveon Clowney

Edge · Age: 30

Another year, another Top 101 free agents blurb for Clowney. He gets a little lower on the list each season; the ugly ending to his time in Cleveland doesn't bode well for his value.

Rank

Rock Ya-Sin

CB · Age: 27

A physical corner who excels at press man coverage, Ya-Sin profiles as a solid enough starter who has never quite reached his top potential. I like those kinds of signings in free agency, because the floor is high and the ceiling is higher.

Rank

Dalton Risner

OG · Age: 28

Yes, he was that dude who pushed Broncos backup quarterback Brett Rypien on the sidelines on Christmas Day. He's also started 62 games at an above-average level since entering the league.  

Rank

Drue Tranquill

LB · Age: 28

I love me some Drue Tranquill. He can play every down, excelling in coverage and as a blitzer.

Rank

Isaiah Wynn

OT · Age: 27

It's a bad sign that Wynn seemed to fall out of favorwith the Patriots before landing on injured reserve, but he's still a young player with plenty of high-level tape -- though it came during his first three seasons.

Rank

Marcus Peters

CB · Age: 30

One of those cornerbacks who just knows how to play, Peters was effective in his first season back from ACL surgery. He still looks like a starter. 

Rank

Leonard Floyd

Edge · Age: 30

Floyd may not have hit double-digit sacks last season, but he played well down the stretch after getting over a knee injury. The veteran is a quality run stopper who can upgrade plenty of starting jobs around the league.

Rank

Calais Campbell

DE · Age: 37

Campbell’s snap totals and PFF score dipped in Baltimore from his otherworldly previous totals, but he was still an above-average pocket pusher and run stopper at age 36. If he wants to play, he can help a team while adding great leadership and a beautiful baritone.

Rank

Melvin Ingram

Edge · Age: 34

Every year, I rank Ingram high in this list. Then no NFL team seems to want him, and then he balls out for a while. Even if he goes off-script sometimes, the chaos is worth it.

Rank

Isaac Seumalo

OG · Age: 29

Like Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Seumalo is a mauler with position flexibility who figures to get a bump heading into free agency because he played on a ferocious Eagles offensive line. 

Rank

Teddy Bridgewater

QB · Age: 30

Teddy Two Gloves had career highs in yards per attempt (8.6) and touchdown percentage (5.1%) on just 79 pass attempts for Miami, with both of his starts cut short by injury. There are more teams looking for quarterbacks than there are surefire starters in this market, so Bridgewater should have suitors.

Rank

Connor McGovern

C · Age: 30

This is not the Connor McGovern on the Cowboys. This is the one who took every snap for the Jets last season at center. The Jets should want to keep him, for the sake of continuity.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A healthy Duane Brown competing with Becton at LT.  Becton or Mitchell at RT?

Draft starter of future in rounds 1-3.

I see Lazard as #2 and Moore I’m the slot.

Mitchell isn't really starting caliber - Seems like he filled in okay for a while there, but was really getting beat before he got injured.  Counting on Becton to be anything is a huge mistake.

They need to sign or trade for a legitimate NFL starting caliber OT

• Upvote 1

Didn’t McGovern already sign with Detroit?  I think the big issues are qb oline, and wr. We all know the deal at qb. Zach really can’t start but he can be back up. I’m guessing they draft a qb to develop alongside Zach. Oline has the players but they need to get time as a unit. Obviously some concern about becton. Wrs probably need one more solid guy either to replace Davis or play slot behind Moore. We’ll see if nasrildeen can play more than spot duty. The dline can be an issue without enough bodies for rotations. I’m guessing they’ll draft dline.

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Mitchell isn't really starting caliber - Seems like he filled in okay for a while there, but was really getting beat before he got injured.  Counting on Becton to be anything is a huge mistake.

They need to sign or trade for a legitimate NFL starting caliber OT

So the Giants need two starting tackles? Both their starters - each a top 10 pick - had terrible rookie seasons (getting beat worse & more often than Mitchell).

I don’t know what his ceiling is, but it isn’t destined to be his partial rookie season when they sent him out immediately to pass block for Flacco 50-60x per week. The whole point of drafting him iirc was to let him spend his rookie season bulking up, not starting week 1.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Didn’t McGovern already sign with Detroit?  I think the big issues are qb oline, and wr. We all know the deal at qb. Zach really can’t start but he can be back up. I’m guessing they draft a qb to develop alongside Zach. Oline has the players but they need to get time as a unit. Obviously some concern about becton. Wrs probably need one more solid guy either to replace Davis or play slot behind Moore. We’ll see if nasrildeen can play more than spot duty. The dline can be an issue without enough bodies for rotations. I’m guessing they’ll draft dline.

Wrong McGovern. Jets’ McGovern is still a FA.

Lazard replaces Davis + all 3 starters work well out of the slot. Replacing Berrios as a nominal SL2 won’t be crazy-hard at all, and Rodgers-buddy Cobb seems both cheap and as likely a fit as any.

Agree on DT. They need a starting DT, whether that’s from FA or the draft. Lawson will probably stick since his cap $ aren’t desperately needed, though I like him fine I don’t find him irreplaceable without a major pay FA or major pick. Either way they’ve got plenty of ends to rotate on & off.

I find tackle less of a ‘23 crisis as some (but would have welcomed swapping Browns at LT). They could use one more, and they have to be playing long ball at least somewhat, realizing by next season Mitchell might be the only rostered tackle.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So the Giants need two starting tackles? Both their starters - each a top 10 pick - had terrible rookie seasons (getting beat worse & more often than Mitchell).

I don’t know what his ceiling is, but it isn’t destined to be his partial rookie season when they sent him out immediately to pass block for Flacco 50-60x per week. The whole point of drafting him iirc was to let him spend his rookie season bulking up, not starting week 1.

I don't disagree at all with what you're saying - but counting on him to have made the jump starter caliber this year - on a one year-all in with Rodgers season, is a mistake.  I also would't count on a rookie either - even a first rounder. 

Any other season I would be on board and agree 100% with what you're saying.   The idea that two T's on the roster will rise up and be solid players, all makes sense and the proper way to manage resources..

This just happens to be a very unique season.  

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't disagree at all with what you're saying - but counting on him to have made the jump starter caliber this year - on a one year-all in with Rodgers season, is a mistake.  I also would't count on a rookie either - even a first rounder. 

Any other season I would be on board and agree 100% with what you're saying.   The idea that two T's on the roster will rise up and be solid players, all makes sense and the proper way to manage resources..

This just happens to be a very unique season.  

They have 3 starting tackles on the roster - and lay out as two at LT, two at RT - not even counting AVT who further fills in in a pinch to either side.

They should and surely will add at least one more, and will swap out for Brown if the opportunity presents itself (e.g. the offer to Orlando Brown).

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

If the Jets like JMS, they are targeting him for Rd. 2 or bottom of Rd. 1 in a trade down scenario. 

If we stand pat at 13, I would not be surprised to see a BAP selection. An Edge or OT. 

DT depth will almost certainly be signed in FA or late in the draft. No way JD takes a DT in Rd 1-3. Not with the current depth we have on our D-line, even with the departure of Rankins and Shep. 

With his legal issues and combine performance Jalen Carter could drop in the draft.   He would be a tempting pick for DT if he is there at 13

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A healthy Duane Brown competing with Becton at LT.  Becton or Mitchell at RT?

Draft starter of future in rounds 1-3.

I see Lazard as #2 and Moore I’m the slot.

Counting on Becton is a mistake. Brown is good depth injury issues and age issues. Mitchell may work out, still not sure. OL is so important , I can’t see not taking OL in R1.

One other roster hole I have not seen mentioned is PR.  The ony guy that I am aware of on the current roster that has expeirence returning punts is Diontae Spencer who filled the role with the Broncos a couple of years back.  But do you use a roster spot on a 31 year old WR who has never caught a pass in his NFL career.

Would not mind bringing in a guy like Isaiah Mckenzie who was just released by Buffalo.  Experienced punt returner who can give you something in the passing game as a 5th / 6th receiver.

• Upvote 1