NFL Owners approve new kick return rule

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a way for the NFL to pretend like they care about player safety when they clearly don't.

They'll ban kickoffs but still allow for teams to play on 4-days rest.  And guess what!  This year several teams out there will do that more than once, maybe even 3x, thanks to TNF flex scheduling!

"We totally support player safety, just as long as we can't make even a single cent more from totally disregarding it!"

• Post of the Week 2

22 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The end of the kickoff return, and not good news for guys who earn their roster spot on special teams.

If you are a kick returner or a gunner, your value to your team just went way down.

What will the Patriots do with those extra 6-10 spots not designated for Special Teamers only?

22 hours ago, slats said:

It’s a dangerous play for just about everyone on the field running at full speed in the opposite directions. They’ve been trying to minimize that danger without completely eliminating the play. This is basically an extension of the rule putting touchbacks on the 25 instead of the 20. Now, special teams coordinators can’t try to kick it high and short of the goal line to force a return (like Westoff used to love to do), because returners will now be able to raise their hand, catch the ball, and have it on the 25. It’s one step closer to eliminating the play altogether. 

This.  

I always wondered why the high and short was not tried more.   

On 5/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, slats said:

It’s a dangerous play for just about everyone on the field running at full speed in the opposite directions. They’ve been trying to minimize that danger without completely eliminating the play. This is basically an extension of the rule putting touchbacks on the 25 instead of the 20. Now, special teams coordinators can’t try to kick it high and short of the goal line to force a return (like Westoff used to love to do), because returners will now be able to raise their hand, catch the ball, and have it on the 25. It’s one step closer to eliminating the play altogether. 

Is there any legitimate data to show injury rates on KO returns?  Any basis of comparison to use?

So this is the de facto end of the NFL KO return.

So much for the value of KO returners and even the gunners.  Not so imp't anymore.  Sad, actually.  

Supporting data?  anyone?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is there any legitimate data to show injury rates on KO returns?  Any basis of comparison to use?

So this is the de facto end of the NFL KO return.

So much for the value of KO returners and even the gunners.  Not so imp't anymore.  Sad, actually.  

Supporting data?  anyone?

Amazing how the NFL for years and years tried to argue that there was no correlation between football and brain trauma, but all of a sudden they have all this sweet data on injuries that everyone should trust just because they say so.

Wonder what the "data" says about injuries when playing on 4 days rest.  I'm sure there's no correlation there eh, NFL?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing how the NFL for years and years tried to argue that there was no correlation between football and brain trauma, but all of a sudden they have all this sweet data on injuries that everyone should trust just because they say so.

Wonder what the "data" says about injuries when playing on 4 days rest.  I'm sure there's no correlation there eh, NFL?

good point

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Huge fan. I'm scarred by images of Braxton Berrios dicking around, getting tackled at the 12 and getting a block in the back penalty to boot. I'm ecstatic at starting drives at the 25 with Aaron F-ing Rodgers. 

True!  Rule really helps us.  Last year it wouldn't have helped us even if the ball was placed on the opponent's 25.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, slimjasi said:

what is the point of this? I legitimately don't understand what the argument for this even is. 

Kick returns are the most dangerous play in football - large, fast players with a huge running start before they crash into each other - so they want fewer of them. 

27 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Kick returns are the most dangerous play in football - large, fast players with a huge running start before they crash into each other - so they want fewer of them. 

I get the logic. 

I’d still like to see some actual data supporting this. I saw Twitter rumblings posted on here of “modeling” suggesting that the NFL thinks this will significantly reduce concussions. I’d like to hear more about that