NFL Owners approve new kick return rule

Is there any data to suggest that this would appreciably improve "player safety?" 

The players still have to play tackle football after the kickoff is over, right? The game isn't suddenly two-hand touch now, is it? 

I don't know - I don't get it. If kickoffs are so dangerous, just remove them altogether. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

It’s a dangerous play for just about everyone on the field running at full speed in the opposite directions. They’ve been trying to minimize that danger without completely eliminating the play, this is basically an extension of the rule putting touchbacks on the 25 instead of the 20. Now, special teams coordinators can’t try to kick it high and short of the goal line to force a return (like Westoff used to love to do), because returners will now be able to raise their hand, catch the ball, and have it on the 25. It’s one step closer to eliminating the play altogether. 

I assume there is data somewhere showing that kickoffs are appreciably more dangerous than other plays? (I'm genuinely curious in seeing it if it exists)

But yea, not a fan. 

This misguided quest to make the game safer at all costs is hurting the quality of the product. 

Yeah. It's a super dangerous play. They're probably working towards completely changing or eliminating the play altogether. My only gripe is the onside kick. I like it. I'd like the opportunity to get the ball back to still be present.

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well the good news is finding an outstanding punter is kind of irrelevant  now. You just need to get a guy that van kick the ball inside the 25 yards between the the goal and 25 yard line. 

Deleted.

So the rule only applies when you catch the ball before it touches the ground.  Some kicker is eventually going to figure out how to kick a low kickoff that bounces away from the returner(s) and forces the ball into play with better net result than the 25 yard line.  Maybe not this year, but it will happen and it will bring back the joy of kickoffs for a few weeks until the NFL legislates it away again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a way for the NFL to pretend like they care about player safety when they clearly don't.

They'll ban kickoffs but still allow for teams to play on 4-days rest.  And guess what!  This year several teams out there will do that more than once, maybe even 3x, thanks to TNF flex scheduling!

yep.  maybe they'll further change the rule so the receiver doesn't even have to catch the ball, just put his hand up.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So the rule only applies when you catch the ball before it touches the ground.  Some kicker is eventually going to figure out how to kick a low kickoff that bounces away from the returner(s) and forces the ball into play with better net result than the 25 yard line.  Maybe not this year, but it will happen and it will bring back the joy of kickoffs for a few weeks until the NFL legislates it away again.

2024:  "NFL owners approve motion to start all possessions subsequent to a score at the 25 yard line"

Makes sense to me.  They want to minimize kickoff returns and changed the rule on kicks through the end zone to the 25 yard line.   Then special team coaches realized they better come up with something so they circumvented the effect by kicking it short.   Now the NFL has negated that so special teams will coach to squib kick them at which point the NFL will change the rule that a fair catch can be made on those as well.  They don't want returns, the risk of injury is greater on those plays and the difference in the games are negligible unless you are playing the Jets in which case you've given up a pretty big advantage.  

Well the good news is finding an outstanding punter is kind of irrelevant  now. You just need to get a guy that van kick the ball inside the 25 yards between the the goal and 25 yard line. 
Unless the punter can corner the kick out of bounds .. good punters are still valuable

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

what is the point of this? I legitimately don't understand what the argument for this even is. 

I am not certain but originally I had read (years ago) the kickoff concerns were injury related. All those guys running full speed ahead, that has to be a concern. And I think that is why they are doing this.

• Upvote 1