Chemical found in Splenda damages DNA: ‘Genotoxic’ discovery

https://nypost.com/2023/06/06/chemical-found-in-splenda-damages-dna-genotoxic-discovery/

America’s favorite artificial sweetener could have some bitter health effects, including damage to your DNA.

Splenda is the brand name for sucralose, often added to diet sodas, baked goods, chewing gum, gelatins and frozen desserts.

It’s even found in drug products like Tylenol, Pepcid and cold and flu medicines.

Splenda is 600 times sweeter than sugar and is the best-selling artificial sweetener in America, with sales roughly double those of its nearest rival, Sweet’n Low.

But sucralose has been found to be genotoxic, meaning it breaks apart the DNA in chromosomes and can lead to cancer, according to new research published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health.

In the human body, sucralose breaks down into a compound called sucralose-6-acetate, which can damage the lining of the intestine.

Other studies have found that sucralose can adversely affect gut health, so we wanted to see what might be happening there,” Susan Schiffman, PhD, study author and adjunct professor at North Carolina State University, said in a news release.

Screenshot_20230608_065830_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a6ae2b6caafc1db1edcb8b23394c2d6f.jpg

The new study adds to earlier research that finds sucralose and sucralose-6-acetate can also cause intestinal damage.

“When we exposed sucralose and sucralose-6-acetate to gut epithelial tissues — the tissue that lines your gut wall — we found that both chemicals cause ‘leaky gut,'” Dr. Schiffman said.

“Basically, they make the wall of the gut more permeable. A leaky gut is problematic because it means that things that would normally be flushed out of the body in feces are instead leaking out of the gut and being absorbed into the bloodstream,” Dr. Schiffman added.

Independent scientific studies show that ingestion of sucralose can damage the cell membranes of the gut and cause irritable bowel syndrome,” Dr. Schiffman told Newsweek.

The makers of artificial sweeteners, however, assert that their products are safe.

“Sucralose has undergone one of the most extensive and thorough testing programs conducted on any food additive in history, resulting in consensus on its safety throughout the global scientific and regulatory community,” a representative for the International Sweetener Association told Newsweek.

Some health experts also question the relevance of the new study.

The findings raise potentially concerning findings that deserve further study, but do not practically reflect what occasional or even frequent ingestion of sucralose-sweetened food and beverages have on health,” Dr. John Damianos, a hospital resident at Yale School of Medicine, told Medical News Today.

Nonetheless, artificial sweeteners have been scrutinized for years, and several studies have linked the products to health risks.

A 2020 study published in the journal Cell Metabolism found that sucralose in combination with carbohydrates (like those in baked goods) can swiftly turn a healthy person into one with high blood sugar, the Washington Post reports.

• Post of the Week 1

Pretty clear for some time artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Diet sodas are arguably worse for your health in some ways than the sugared up stuff. Better idea is as much as possible is to avoid both altogether. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As an energy drink drinker (Red Bull and Celsius), I appreciate this post.  I found an energy seltzer without any artificial sweeteners called "True North" and ordered a sampler.  Hopefully it'll taste good enough to be a replacement.  

I use the following together:

42 oz water, 1 squeezed lemon, .5 teaspoon sea salt and bee pollen. I also add 200 mcg of magnesium (from capsules) to enhance my electrolytes. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I used the following together:

42 oz water, 1 squeezed lemon, .5 teaspoon sea salt and bee pollen. I also add 200 mcg of magnesium (from capsules) to enhance my electrolytes. 

You buy the ingredients separately and mix them each morning?  I like the carbonated part of energy drinks but it just occurred to me I could use seltzer instead of water in your mixture.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

As an energy drink drinker (Red Bull and Celsius), I appreciate this post.  I found an energy seltzer without any artificial sweeteners called "True North" and ordered a sampler.  Hopefully it'll taste good enough to be a replacement.  

as an older guy, i can't understand how so many young kids drink that crap (monster, red bull etc) Can't be good and in fact I bet it's harmful.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

as an older guy, i can't understand how so many young kids drink that crap (monster, red bull etc) Can't be good and in fact I bet it's harmful.

Did you get the Covid jab?

Do you eat GMO food? 

Are you aware they're been putting this mRNA crap into pigs (look up "Sequivity") since 2018?

• Thumb Down 1

You have to have some context here.  Artificial sweetners 99% of the time is replacing added sugar.  Sugar as an added ingredient is responsible for high blood sugar, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, increased triglycerides, obesity and type 2 diabetes. 

A soda containing tons of sugar is not good for you.  A diet soda isn't good for you.  On balance the processed food most of us eat is loaded with sugar.   If you have a bowl of cereal it has sugar in it.  If you want to sweeten it adding a little bit of sugar substitute vs more sugar is probably not any worse for you.  It might even be better for you if you're diabetic.  

• Upvote 1