Colts star RB Jonathan Taylor has requested a trade

Larz

The thing that Im struggling to understand with respect to the RB market is the question of "are these guys really underpaid?"  I really think its on a case by case basis versus an overall issue with the position.

Take Saquan - the Giants werent offering 3 years for $15 - they probably would have been good at 3 years $30 with $20 guaranteed.  I get that isnt what Derrick Henry got but its not "nothing".  

Jonathan Taylor allegedly wants $16 per year - well thats not going to happen, but are teams really not willing to offer him 4 years and $40 with $25 guaranteed? Is that not enough?  I find it hard to believe that if the bears can give Cole Kmet $40 million they cant find $40 million for Jonathan Taylor (if they were to trade for him).

The RBs that have a real gripe are the guys like Isiah Pachenko who are gonna make $800K a year for 4 years while the Chiefs run them into the ground and will likely never be able to truly cash in.  That part I get but overall im not completely sure why these guys arent ok with $20+ in guarantees?

What am I missing?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The thing that Im struggling to understand with respect to the RB market is the question of "are these guys really underpaid?"  I really think its on a case by case basis versus an overall issue with the position.

Take Saquan - the Giants werent offering 3 years for $15 - they probably would have been good at 3 years $30 with $20 guaranteed.  I get that isnt what Derrick Henry got but its not "nothing".  

Jonathan Taylor allegedly wants $16 per year - well thats not going to happen, but are teams really not willing to offer him 4 years and $40 with $25 guaranteed? Is that not enough?  I find it hard to believe that if the bears can give Cole Kmet $40 million they cant find $40 million for Jonathan Taylor (if they were to trade for him).

The RBs that have a real gripe are the guys like Isiah Pachenko who are gonna make $800K a year for 4 years while the Chiefs run them into the ground and will likely never be able to truly cash in.  That part I get but overall im not completely sure why these guys arent ok with $20+ in guarantees?

What am I missing?

Agreed.   Those 5th rounders who do well don’t ever get paid.  

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, BCJet said:

What am I missing?

Well also the cba is so bad for them.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:42 PM, Matt39 said:

Not overly delicate but he’s saying everyone’s replaceable, which is true.

lol sure, it's just random af though.  It's the equivalent of your teacher asking you to hand in your homework and instead you respond with "we're all just a spec of dust floating in space".  

17 hours ago, Hal said:

Agreed.   Those 5th rounders who do well don’t ever get paid.  

Getting paid might be a bit far, but the last couple of CBAs did consider players in that position.  Proven Performance Escalators apply for players drafted in the 2nd through 7th rounds that play a certain percentage of snaps in their first 3 years, or over 2 of their 1st 3 years.  There are tiers for pro bowls too.  That's why a guy like Devin Singletary got a bump from $900K to $2.5M or so in year 4.  Same with Gabe Davis for this year.  It's not a huge pay day, but it is a significant jump and should apply to a guy like Pacheco.  

They have been in place for the last 2 CBA, but did not apply to 2nd rounders until the new one.  The Jets have drafted so poorly that we rarely hear about it.  I think it applied for Jordan Jenkins and Brian Winters IIRC.  It is not big money, but it is more than a double bump of salary for guys in the lower tier, so not insignificant.  It does not apply for UDFA, but they negotiate actual contracts unlike the monopolized draft system and have some protections with the tender amounts. 

• Upvote 1