Jeff Ulbrich

TuscanyTile2

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll ask you then.  If we had to replace Jeff Ulbrich, do you think we could find someone just as good if not better?  I think there are probably a bunch of candidates who could replace him that fit that criteria.

I'm not interested in replacing Ulbrich. I'm not the knee jerk woe is me sky is falling type after 1 game. Next week the Jets can improve to 2-0 at home and 2-0 vs the AFC East. The season isn't over because the Jets lost a road game to the Cowboys in Dallas. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

I'm not interested in replacing Ulbrich. I'm not the knee jerk woe is me sky is falling type after 1 game. Next week the Jets can improve to 2-0 at home and 2-0 vs the AFC East. The season isn't over because the Jets lost a road game to the Cowboys in Dallas. 

I don't think there's any urgency to replace Ulbrich.  I'm just discussing him in general.  I don't think he's anything special at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Imagine as the Jets DC your life depended on stopping the Cowboys offense.  

You quickly realize that 2 things are the biggest threats to your life, supported by game film and advanced stats.  

1. CeeDee Lamb

2. Tight Ends

What do you do?

———————————————————————

1. I have this stud corner named Sauce.  It’s pretty easy, ‘Sauce, shadow Lamb wherever he goes … left or right side, at halftime, in the bathroom.  Don’t give him a ******* inch!!  Wipe his ass if you need to.’

2. Damn, I ponder…. I love CJ but he is slow as **** running down hill against zone.  ‘CJ, we are going to sit you on third down passing plays and get more speed on the field.  My life is on the line and your reaction time and lateral quickness will be on my gravestone if I don’t make a change.’

You don't completely change your D because things are not working.  Tweak it sure, but they are not going to go to a straight red man all of a sudden.  I don't think Sauce is as suited to it and I think you guys are mixing him up with Revis.  Just because he is excellent, they are not the same.  They did start playing Sherwood and even Eguaovan more as the game went on.  It didn't help.  In fact when the dude got called for a penalty I was yelling that David Harris retired years ago and thought he was on the practice squad.  I wasn't as worried about Mosley in coverage as when he missed filling holes in the run D.  I only watched the regular CBS feed enraged, so this is no expert analysis, but take it for what you will.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have a lot of talent on our defense. 

So Joe Douglas added so much defensive talent between the ‘21 and ‘22 seasons that the Jets D went from dead last to Top 5 in one season?  Then why do so many people want him fired?

I’m sure that some SOJF will come up with some creative way to refute this, but that kind of improvement can’t happen if Douglas, Saleh, and Ulbrich all suck.

The D looked great week one also, so for now it looks like the Dallas game is the outlier.

No he’s just ok

LaFleur might actually be the one that got away whom they sacrificed at the altar of ZW

After year 1, Saleh was even hyping up LaFleur in pressers as someone for whom they were creating a succession plan since they believed he’d be poached as a HC candidate 

The Rams offense is setting records with an aged Stafford and a collection of no-name skill players

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MykePM said:

So Joe Douglas added so much defensive talent between the ‘21 and ‘22 seasons that the Jets D went from dead last to Top 5 in one season?  Then why do so many people want him fired?

I’m sure that some SOJF will come up with some creative way to refute this, but that kind of improvement can’t happen if Douglas, Saleh, and Ulbrich all suck.

The D looked great week one also, so for now it looks like the Dallas game is the outlier.

Not saying Ulbrich sucks.  Just that I don't think he'd be difficult to replace and still get as good - if not better - of a performance.

I worry that we're going to see a repeat of the Rex Ryan phenomenon. This system holds on for a couple years until teams figure out the easy recipe to beat the scheme and then it's a question of how much the individual players can overperform. If there's no adjustments to the game plan or mid-game, then Ulbrich is just a middle manager who isn't being asked to do too much. 

I also remain skeptical about whether last year's defensive rankings were a reflection of the quality of the defense versus a defense playing ok against offenses who knew they didn't have to try to hard. 

We'll find the answers by the end of the season, but for now I am ambivalent about pretty much everything on the team minus Breece Hall.

[Turning a post of mine into its own thread]
Does anyone on here believe this guy is a great DC?  I think the guy is nothing special at all.  There are plenty of other DC's out there who could do just as good or better of a job, considering the talent level on this defense.  Did anyone else catch Tony Romo say that Ulbrich is going to be a HC?  To me, that was laughable.
Our CS, in general, is below average.  
I don't mind him ... he's a meathead cheerleader like saleh... have u heard the breadth of the man's vocabulary?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Coaching in general is a huge problem with this team. The worst quarterback production in the league, obviously doesn’t help. But this is why I would’ve went with an offensive minded HC knowing that they were going to take a quarterback in the first round a few years ago.

The problem is that the Jets don’t think when they hire. The Lions did a hard pass on saleh after they interviewed him. The Jets? They went Gaga over him in 2 seconds