Jeff Ulbrich

TuscanyTile2

Their the best!  Their the worst!  WTF.  It was one game against a steamroller team and they were on the field for damn near ever.

Sauce catches that ball and/or somebody falls on that fumble instead of letting some fat **** center outhustle them and it is a different game.  The part where you brag about the talent level of the D?  Well, Sauce, and Q were high picks and they are spending a solid amount on Lawson and Mosley, but guys like Clemons, Reed, Carter II?  Those guys are just as likely studs because of this D.

I don't think Ulbrich is the greatest game planner or x and o coach.  I think he is a general scheme and attitude guy and I think that is more what you want in a coach these days.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Their the best!  Their the worst!  WTF.  It was one game against a steamroller team and they were on the field for damn near ever.

Sauce catches that ball and/or somebody falls on that fumble instead of letting some fat **** center outhustle them and it is a different game.  The part where you brag about the talent level of the D?  Well, Sauce, and Q were high picks and they are spending a solid amount on Lawson and Mosley, but guys like Clemons, Reed, Carter II?  Those guys are just as likely studs because of this D.

I don't think Ulbrich is the greatest game planner or x and o coach.  I think he is a general scheme and attitude guy and I think that is more what you want in a coach these days.  

So here’s  the problem - we’ve been saying the “what if” game every year.  Great defenses and great teams make those plays.   A vast majority of games can be boiled down to 3-5 plays and it’s the team that executes on those that win.   We just haven’t done that… no matter the players, no matter the coaches.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So here’s  the problem - we’ve been saying the “what if” game every year.  Great defenses and great teams make those plays.   A vast majority of games can be boiled down to 3-5 plays and it’s the team that executes on those that win.   We just haven’t done that… no matter the players, no matter the coaches.

This is a nice thought.  I can even agree with the importance of a few plays.  Thing is.  They literally just did it last week.  Like less than 7 days ago.  They did exactly what you say they haven't done.  They did it.  This was week 2.  The team got beat.  It hurts.  Let's see how they respond.  

• Post of the Week 1

Imagine as the Jets DC your life depended on stopping the Cowboys offense.  

You quickly realize that 2 things are the biggest threats to your life, supported by game film and advanced stats.  

1. CeeDee Lamb

2. Tight Ends

What do you do?

———————————————————————

1. I have this stud corner named Sauce.  It’s pretty easy, ‘Sauce, shadow Lamb wherever he goes … left or right side, at halftime, in the bathroom.  Don’t give him a ******* inch!!  Wipe his ass if you need to.’

2. Damn, I ponder…. I love CJ but he is slow as **** running down hill against zone.  ‘CJ, we are going to sit you on third down passing plays and get more speed on the field.  My life is on the line and your reaction time and lateral quickness will be on my gravestone if I don’t make a change.’

• Upvote 1

What does the scheme master named Jeff Ulbrich do?

Plays the same predictable 4 man rush & soft zone against a veteran QB, a stud WR and a great offensive minded coach.

Doubles down on it when it is clearly not working and you desperately need stops.
————————————————————-

Chess pieces only go so far when you make the same moves time and again, especially against other good chess players.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is a nice thought.  I can even agree with the importance of a few plays.  Thing is.  They literally just did it last week.  Like less than 7 days ago.  They did exactly what you say they haven't done.  They did it.  This was week 2.  The team got beat.  It hurts.  Let's see how they respond.  

True but even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while. It’s about doing it consistently…which the Jets haven’t done and that’s the most frustrating part with this team. To me it is all on the coaching.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

True but even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while. It’s about doing it consistently…which the Jets haven’t done and that’s the most frustrating part with this team. To me it is all on the coaching.

It's not even week 3 yet.  Do they get 4 games before you decide who they are or what they are about?  After the first year the D was an abomination.  They got corners and were lights out.  The O improved, but still needed a QB.  They got Rodgers.  That hasn't exactly worked out, but it is not like they don't understand what is going on.  They are not as dumb as you think and the fix probably not as simple.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

It's not even week 3 yet.  Do they get 4 games before you decide who they are or what they are about?  After the first year the D was an abomination.  They got corners and were lights out.  The O improved, but still needed a QB.  They got Rodgers.  That hasn't exactly worked out, but it is not like they don't understand what is going on.  They are not as dumb as you think and the fix probably not as simple.

We’ll see.  I’m not giving up, but what I saw yesterday was exactly what I saw last year. And the year before, and the year before, etc.  Personally I didn’t think the Jets were going to win yesterday, but they looked bad and that is troubling.

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

You guys are WAY too extreme every week lol. 

Jets lose - Does this guy even deserve his job? Was he ever good? Should we clean house? Is he a bust?

Jets win - MAJOR props to everyone. Game balls to all!

Jets lose after a win - So and so gifted the Jets the win. We still suck.

Yeesh.

I'm not saying he stinks.  I'm just saying I see nothing special and he can be easily replaced.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Jets lose - Does this guy even deserve his job? Was he ever good? Should we clean house? Is he a bust?

Yeesh.

Very true we are an emotional bunch.. but to me it is the how as much as the what.  You go to Dallas and put up a good fight and lose, yeah sucks for sure but at least there is something to build from.  This performance was utterly gross and no matter how they spin it, there is nothing to build on.  We were out game planned plain and simple.  Letting their best wr run around uncovered, leaving their best defensive player singled up with an over the hill Tackle that missed all training camp…seriously.

• Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be a great defense you need to do that every game.  Not one game and then get steamrolled the next, especially a game where Josh Allen was doing his best Zach Wilson impression and heaving layups all over the place.  So so far this season they are an average-above average defense.  We’ll see how they respond against a weak NE offense next week.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How do YOU think they're going to respond?

I kind of expect more of last year.  That is pretty troubling, but I expected a meltdown when Zach couldn't get anything going against the Bills.  The fact that they held it together that long is pretty impressive to me.  I expect the D to continue to scratch and claw to keep us in it.  Belichick is a scumbag and also probably a rough match up for a team on the edge.  It should be fun.  I want a shutout.

22 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeesh.

It’s the reality of the situation the team is in.  People went crazy about last week’s win because it took the pain away from Rodgers’ injury.  Last week was a perfect situation that will not happen every week.

Josh Allen gifted us 4 turnovers, we only had 1, and we STILL only won because of a punt return for a TD in overtime.  How often do those happen?  Not very.  If we had lost in overtime this place would be absolutely insane right now with the team at 0-2.  What last week told us is that we need a turnover diff of +3 to BARELY squeak out a win against a good team.  Not gonna happen very often.

It’s no surprise we lost to the Cowboys.  Anyone who thought this season was going to be fine after Rodgers went down is delusional.

• Upvote 1

Everybody's like "Jeff Ulbrich sucks!" And then we get a season of shutdown defense and everybody's like "Ulbrich's the best!" And then one game where the defense isn't great and people are like "I never thought Ulbrich was anything special"

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of expect more of last year.  That is pretty troubling, but I expected a meltdown when Zach couldn't get anything going against the Bills.  The fact that they held it together that long is pretty impressive to me.  I expect the D to continue to scratch and claw to keep us in it.  Belichick is a scumbag and also probably a rough match up for a team on the edge.  It should be fun.  I want a shutout.

Gotcha.

I too would hope the D bounces back, especially against a not-terribly-impressive Pats Offense.  Too much talent on paper to be that bad again vs. a much less quality opponent.

But I expect a full bore Zach Wilson passing meltdown after yesterday.  Another 3 INT's type performance as Belichick again just master-classes the Jets with scheme and misdirection, leaving Zach again looking clueless and rattled.  Zach's confidence likely took a hard hit yesterday, and that'll only get into his head more as this week (and talk radio and NY media hammer him), and he's going to likely try too hard vs. the Pats.  And we know what tends to happen then.  

What will be truly problematic is if the running game isn't used more (Hall), or doesn't show up (Cook), and if guys like Lazard and Hardman continue to be effective non-entities on the offense.  That will not spell future success for us this year.

Should be close, but I think our O's inability to score makes the difference.

10 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

To be a great defense you need to do that every game.  Not one game and then get steamrolled the next, especially a game where Josh Allen was doing his best Zach Wilson impression and heaving layups all over the place.  So so far this season they are an average-above average defense.  We’ll see how they respond against a weak NE offense next week.

Look bud, the guy I was responding to said they never did it.  They did.  I didn't say they were a great D, but they can be.  This is 2023.  For all the flapping DJ Reed does, the 85 Bears aren't coming back.  Rex Ryan was 1/1 and still gave up 30 points to Rex ******* Grossman and that was a great D. Now it is probably even worse.  The 49ers were 1/1 last year.  Were they a great D?  I'd say so.  The Chiefs hung 44 on them.  Worse, the Raiders put up 34.  They had 500 total yards behind 365 passing by Jarrett Stidham.  You'd be a blast on their message board.

Just now, Hex said:

Everybody's like "Jeff Ulbrich sucks!" And then we get a season of shutdown defense and everybody's like "Ulbrich's the best!" And then one game where the defense isn't great and people are like "I never thought Ulbrich was anything special"

So let me ask you this.  Do you think he's done an especially good job to the point where, if we had to replace him, we couldn't find anyone as good as him?

My own answer to this question is that he's been decent but he's easily replaceable.

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Week 2 was just one game @TuscanyTile2. Is that how we do it? Oh, that's right, it's only just 1 game when it's the Giants losing by 40 points at home to the same Cowboys the Jets lost on the road by half that amount.

I'll ask you then.  If we had to replace Jeff Ulbrich, do you think we could find someone just as good if not better?  I think there are probably a bunch of candidates who could replace him that fit that criteria.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So let me ask you this.  Do you think he's done an especially good job to the point where, if we had to replace him, we couldn't find anyone as good as him?

My own answer to this question is that he's been decent but he's easily replaceable.

That's not a risk I would be willing to take. There are for sure DCs who are better than him but they are all taken already. I doubt he is easily replaceable.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

That's not a risk I would be willing to take. There are for sure DCs who are better than him but they are all taken already. I doubt he is easily replaceable.

If we had to replace Ulbrich, I wouldn't be the least bit worried that we could find someone as good or better.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a cover 4/cover 6 defense. When the pass rush works, the defense looks amazing. When the QB is shooting the ball out quick—like Dak was (6.7 ypa)—there are going to be openings to exploit. It’ll work most weeks

Bellicheat wil dissect this D like a frog.  

• Haha 1