_________ you are the weakest link..

It’s becoming abundantly clear, isn’t it?  Meaning this is NOT a ‘well, it’s only 2 games in’ scenario when evaluating these guys.  

Offense:  Brown, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Zach* (has shown some improvement but will it be anywhere good enough?)

Defense:  Mosley, Lawson* (a little less clear on this one)

Prognosis:  Not good

Treatment Plan:  Bench, possible trade or 2

Cause:  GM/Coach too attached to aging vets, bad free agent pickups & high draft picks

Weakest Link Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I agree with your ordering ... this is an ill timed post ...

Brown and Tomlinson were terrible and should be benched

Uzomah should just get released.

Zach needs to step up and show he can be the man .. maybe not all at once .. but the signs need to be clear. Excuse time is over.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Zach needs to step up and show he can be the man .. maybe not all at once .. but the signs need to be clear. Excuse time is over.

You sure seem to give Zach a pass for a guy that is cutting everybody that had a bad game.  Shouldn't he already have been gone a couple of years by now? 

• Upvote 1

You sure seem to give Zach a pass for a guy that is cutting everybody that had a bad game.  Shouldn't he already have been gone a couple of years by now? 
He was a rookie year one .. year two was a disaster ... this is his make or break .. a year he was supposed to sit until the unthinkable became reality.

No pass.. just full op.

• Upvote 1

If I'm reading this correctly, according to overthecap.com cutting CJ and Tomlinson next year will have a total dead cap hit of about 16 million.

If you add CJ to that, you're up to 26.  Add on Duane Brown's 4.7 when he's not even on the team,, now you are at 30.  JD fixed a cap mess, only to create his own.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I often wonder why coaches make things so tough on themselves.

The decisions we are seeing now seem very political after reading for months about competition.  This is how you lose a locker room if it keeps up.

Even if Tippmann is equal to Tomlinson, you play him for his upside just like the Bills are playing a rookie LG.  And you play him for his run blocking in space and nastier temperament.  

Even if Zach has improved, you trade for a competent QB who fits the system and can keep 8-9 out of the box.  Because an all in bet on Zach at this stage is too risky to say the least.

A blind man who has never watched football can tell Ruckert is 3x the player that Uzomah is.

CJ Slowley is painfully slow at closing ground, the type of hip stiffness that many of us here experience.

• Upvote 2

Need my Uncle @Sperm Edwards to check my math as always, but next offseason we will save $24,448,000 by cutting Tomlinson, Uzomah, and Mosley, who seem like pretty obvious cuts. Uzomah doesn't even need to be "replaced" per se, assuming Ruckert continues to come along. 

Biggest issue will be replacing the entire left side of the offensive line.  Thank you JD!

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

It’s becoming abundantly clear, isn’t it?  Meaning this is NOT a ‘well, it’s only 2 games in’ scenario when evaluating these guys.  

Offense:  Brown, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Zach* (has shown some improvement but will it be anywhere good enough?)

Defense:  Mosley, Lawson* (a little less clear on this one)

Prognosis:  Not good

Treatment Plan:  Bench, possible trade or 2

Cause:  GM/Coach too attached to aging vets, bad free agent pickups & high draft picks

IMO - the easiest/clearest upgrade to make right now is benching Uzomah for Ruckert and Tomlinson or McGovern for Tippman.

Oh and Cook for Izzy. Put your best players on the field. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Need my Uncle @Sperm Edwards to check my math as always, but next offseason we will save $24,448,000 by cutting Tomlinson, Uzomah, and Mosley, who seem like pretty obvious cuts. Uzomah doesn't even need to be "replaced" per se, assuming Ruckert continues to come along. 

Biggest issue will be replacing the entire left side of the offensive line.  Thank you JD!

It's more than that. Try not to worry about the accelerated dead cap, because that hits whether they're kept or not. 

Look at how much the team will avoid paying. That's the savings. If there's a temporary bump due to an acceleration of void years, they can reverse that (put it back to future caps) by restructuring someone else instead of "un-restructuring" players you're cutting.

So it's Mosley $17MM, Tomlinson $13MM, Uzomah, $8MM = $38MM

Also consider the next people they sign aren't going to have the contract's average pay hit the cap in y1 any more than it just did for Rodgers or Lazard. That's on top of the higher than usual bump the cap's likely to get in '24. 

They have no cap problems. What they'll have is a need for two starting tackles and a guard, all coming in at once. Not picking up Becton's 5th yr option was fully expected, but if he makes it through this season they may extend/tag him just to cut that number of needed OL starters down to two (which shouldn't be as bad if one via draft and one via FA). 

They'll also need to extend (or otherwise replace) Whitehead and a lot of their OL/DL depth, plus Zuerlein & Morstead, and absent a major turnaround from Wilson also another backup QB (assuming it isn't someone they already add this season).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's more than that. Try not to worry about the accelerated dead cap, because that hits whether they're kept or not. 

Look at how much the team will avoid paying. That's the savings. If there's a temporary bump due to an acceleration of void years, they can reverse that (put it back to future caps) by restructuring someone else instead of "un-restructuring" players you're cutting.

So it's Mosley $17MM, Tomlinson $13MM, Uzomah, $8MM = $38MM

Also consider the next people they sign aren't going to have the contract's average pay hit the cap in y1 any more than it just did for Rodgers or Lazard. That's on top of the higher than usual bump the cap's likely to get in '24. 

They have no cap problems. What they'll have is a need for two starting tackles and a guard, all coming in at once. Not picking up Becton's 5th yr option was fully expected, but if he makes it through this season they may extend/tag him just to cut that number of needed OL starters down to two (which shouldn't be as bad if one via draft and one via FA). 

They'll also need to extend (or otherwise replace) Whitehead and a lot of their OL/DL depth, plus Zuerlein & Morstead, and absent a major turnaround from Wilson also another backup QB (assuming it isn't someone they already add this season).

Is there an $11m hit for walking away from Wilson?

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Is there an $11m hit for walking away from Wilson?

Yes, but more correctly his hit is $11MM whether they keep him or walk away from him (picks that high get their entire contract fully guaranteed, absent quitting or getting suspended). Anyway there's no additional penalty for cutting loose earlier, other than the effective penalty/cost of a replacement backup QB on the roster if they do cut him.

The only way it's any less is if he's traded, which would cut that number in half (less any additional amount the Jets might eat in exchange for higher return compensation).

Honestly I think he's still at least going to be at least the QB3 unless they get a trade offer if he's literally averaging 2-3 picks per week longer term. Most QB3s are barely worthy of rostering anyway, and their rationale for his 4th contract year (aside from sunk cost being the only cost) could easily be his familiarity with the system & players. 

6 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

AVT should NEVER have been moved to RG. I think the real issue is LT is a hole, RG will become a hole and Becton at RG is not a plan, since we declined paying him.

+ I’m getting concerned about the plug and play center we just drafted.