Regular Season Doesn't Really Matter

chirorob

Kinda been like this for a while now, but this year was especially egregious.  

Just shorten the regular season back to 154, expand the playoffs to 16 teams with all 7-game series and be done with it.  Best teams ought to be able to rise to the top when you need to beat them 4x to advance. 

I get that that just turns the MLB postseason into the NBA but who gives a f**k?  You simply can’t have teams wait around for a week to start their postseason after playing nearly every day for 6 months.  It doesn’t work.  

Everybody has to start at the same time or close to it.  At least under a 16-team format everybody would be somewhat happy.  More money for MLB with less stupid pointless regular season games.  

• Upvote 3

On 10/18/2023 at 8:51 AM, chirorob said:

5 best records in MLB are out of the playoffs.

The WS will have two teams with at most, 90 wins.  Keep expanding the playoffs, and you have made the regular season far less important.

MLB.jpg

I'm glad this is happening.  The baseball playoffs are a joke now.  They're trying to make it like other sports where there are 4 rounds of playoffs.  If they're going to make teams play 162 games, they should matter a LOT.  Sadly, it's been greatly devalued.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm glad this is happening.  The baseball playoffs are a joke now.  They're trying to make it like other sports where there are 4 rounds of playoffs.  If they're going to make teams play 162 games, they should matter a LOT.  Sadly, it's been greatly devalued.

They added the extra round of playoffs as a money grab.  And it has totally backfired. So now, instead of Dodgers-Braves LCS which probably would have drawn great ratings (great for baseball at least), we end up with Phillies-Dbacks, and nobody is watching.  Very few post season games have even been competitive.  Top 2 seeds get almost a week off until their first playoff game. They are being asked to play meaningful games after a weeks layoff against a wild card team or lesser Division Champ that has been battle tested down the stretch.  If you need a game or two to work off the rust after a layoff, you may already have your backs to the wall by the time you are ready to play.

Three Division Champs and one wild card worked fine.  And gave us much better postseason matchups.  Baseball sucks these days.  I barely recognize the game I used to love.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

They added the extra round of playoffs as a money grab.  And it has totally backfired. So now, instead of Dodgers-Braves LCS which probably would have drawn great ratings (great for baseball at least), we end up with Phillies-Dbacks, and nobody is watching.  Very few post season games have even been competitive.  Top 2 seeds get almost a week off until their first playoff game. They are being asked to play meaningful games after a weeks layoff against a wild card team or lesser Division Champ that has been battle tested down the stretch.  If you need a game or two to work off the rust after a layoff, you may already have your backs to the wall by the time you are ready to play.

Three Division Champs and one wild card worked fine.  And gave us much better postseason matchups.  Baseball sucks these days.  I barely recognize the game I used to love.

This.  I haven't even been able to bring myself to watch it at all this postseason (I just want the Phillies to be eliminated and then I don't care who wins).  It feels like their goal was to be able to have one of these:

image.png.998867970580c26ac0138dfbdde06c7e.png

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Well said. Only thing I’ll add is wildcard team gets one home game in a best of 5 and only two in a best of 7. That will definitely make the regular season count.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Well said. Only thing I’ll add is wildcard team gets one home game in a best of 5 and only two in a best of 7. That will definitely make the regular season count.

Rangers Vs Astros.   Road team won the first 6 games of the series.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I hope MLB is happy with their World Series, pitting the 13th best team in baseball against a team tied for 6th.  I can't imagine how bad ratings will be.  I know that I won't be watching.

Rangers were somewhat worthy, having tied for their division title, but yeah, Dbacks making it (and yes, I know they have several solid young players) was pretty pathetic out of the NL.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Rangers were somewhat worthy, having tied for their division title, but yeah, Dbacks making it (and yes, I know they have several solid young players) was pretty pathetic out of the NL.

The ratings proved your point…. lowest rated WS ever. Nobody cared to watch another JV WS. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Until the Yankees can figure out how to stop sucking the tv ratings will continue to be ass.

the top rated regular season game of the past 20 years was the Yankees/White Sox game in the field of dreams- and it was on cable
Another phenomenal post. You are the mailman because to always deliver!