Was CFP wrong for leaving out FSU?

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So just give the SEC a playoff. They invalidated their own playoff system with their decision. I don't understand how that's not comprehensible to you.

You're smarter than this! 😆 

Just tired of everyone ball washing the SEC and OSUs.

I'm happy Army got the CIC Trophy, but FSU got jobbed big time. 

I hate all P5’s equally, so you’ve got me all wrong on this one, lol.

I’m just tired of major conference entitlement, of any kind.  

@Jet_Engine1 @Matt39 @Larz @JagsFanJif @bitonti

The NCAA sucks but the 12-team playoff will be so much better.  Consider that this would be what the 5-12 teams would have looked like this year, and their matchups (top 4 get the byes):

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State
No. 11 Ole Miss at No. 6 Georgia
No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State
No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon

michael fassbender perfection GIF

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Jet_Engine1 @Matt39 @Larz @JagsFanJif @bitonti

The NCAA sucks but the 12-team playoff will be so much better.  Consider that this would be what the 5-12 teams would have looked like this year, and their matchups (top 4 get the byes):

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State
No. 11 Ole Miss at No. 6 Georgia
No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State
No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon

michael fassbender perfection GIF

I gotta be honest most of these teams kinda suck 

Penn state for example has no offense 

Anyone who thinks fsu got screwed should be forced to watch the acc championship again 

It was terrible 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Anyone who thinks fsu got screwed should be forced to watch the acc championship again 

It was terrible 

The Big 10 championship game had Iowa in it. It would have been more exciting if they ran the single wing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It was terrible 

Of course they do but that’s the point, right?  To let teams that belong PROVE it on the field?  Separate the weak from the chaff?  That’s how you help prevent embarrassing blowouts in the semi-final or title games.  

Let the most deserving get in to determine the 4 best and national champ.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course they do but that’s the point, right?  To let teams that belong PROVE it on the field?  Separate the weak from the chaff?  That’s how you help prevent embarrassing blowouts in the semi-final or title games.  

Let the most deserving get in to determine the 4 best and national champ.

I gotta be honest that all sounds great but don't we just end up complaining about the number 13 team that did not make the cut? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

I gotta be honest that all sounds great but don't we just end up complaining about the number 13 team that did not make the cut? 

F**k em.  No one is suing anybody over being the 69th team left out of the NCAA Basketball tourney.  Everyone just shrugs and moves on.  Not like this situation with FSU.

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh, if FSU gets hammered my guess is the narrative will be because they “don’t care” after not making the playoff.  

It's an exhibition game. Any player with half a brain who is entering the NFL draft will sit out this game. It's a dumb game and one that means absolutely nothing. Both Georgia and FSU will be without many of their starters, justifiably so 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

UCF went undefeated for 2 straight seasons and got nothing out of it.

Again….i have sympathy for FSU.  I do.  They did get screwed.  But they should whine to their conference, not the legal system.  The ACC agreed to a system where 4 playoff teams get in when there are 5 power conferences.  They all agreed to a system where at least one conference got screwed every year. 

The system is indeed broken and stupid but the ACC agreed to it like everyone else and left it all up to a dumb drunken committee. 

The ACC agreed to a system getting screwed. That is true. But the system that should get screwed is the one who lost. You can't screw the ACC system if the team representing it is undefeated. Screw the SEC system where both top teams lost. That's the argument. 

You're comments are valid but again, it all comes down to the games played. First the complaint was the ACC was weak. They added SEC games to their schedule and they won both. Now it's "well, one conference was going to get screwed". Ok, so why screw the one that is undefeated? Oh their star player is injured? Well, that didn't stop you from shifting them back in the top 4 when they beat an SEC team...

The system is broken, that I agree with entirely, but what they did to this FSU team has no excuse. There is zero argument for their decision. There just isn't 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Falco21 said:

You will never see uproar over a number 13 ranked team. I like the 12 team playoff. 

Yep.  There will always be people pisded but that doesn’t mean this isn’t a good, reasonable change.  The playoffs will have a bit of fairness, excitement, and everyone involved gets a lot of money.  Win-win-win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Now its 12 teams get in right?  Might as well let 64 get in and do and ncaa brackett.

I don't think it's all that far fetched.  6 more games for two teams.  How many games do state champions play in high school?

Although I think a conference winner tournament is better.  Might diversify the conferences a bit more.  Perhaps restructure into 8 super conferences instead of division 1.  

That said, I am piggy backing off a comment to a topic I am not following.

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It was terrible 

And this is exactly why the system is broken. 

The ACC Championship game was "terrible" because FSU was on their 3rd string freshman QB. They also beat a top 15 ranked team and their defense shut down a top ranked offense entirely. You know what is also true? The backup QB who just came off beating UF in the swamp was coming off concussion protocol and was due to start the next game. 

But the above is irrelevant. I truly don't give a sh*t how ugly the game was. They won. They beat another top 15 team and won a conference championship. Is that what we're doing now? Determining the playoffs based on the quality of the game played rather than the record? If that's true, when is the NFL shifting in that direction? Are we just going to get rid of the wins and loses and just base playoff scheduling on the eye test? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F**k em.  No one is suing anybody over being the 69th team left out of the NCAA Basketball tourney.  Everyone just shrugs and moves on.  Not like this situation with FSU.

That's my attitude as well but it is for team number 5 

Lets be real fsu isn't winning sh*t 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Probably not but they deserved a chance to try.  People forget how much $$$ is lost out on by not making the playoff.  Playing in the playoff and losing 70-0 >>>> winning the best non-playoff bowl 70-0 for the school/program financially.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well yeah but neither did UCF for 2 straight seasons, but you didn’t see anyone suing over it nor did you see much of a national outcry.  Want to laugh at that and say “UCF didn’t play anyone”?  Cool.  But you’re just operating in a similar way the committee just did with FSU.  

I feel bad for Florida St, yes, but I also say this:  Welcome to the life of a non-P5, where getting screwed over happens on a near annual basis.  

strength of schedule is relevant

Just now, bitonti said:

It's entertainment. That's literally the only point 

People make football out to be this important sacred thing. 

If it's not entertaining it's not worth jack 

Yeah, I agree, but this is not entirely true. Last night was a prime example. 

And I can easily make the argument that FSU making the playoffs would be entertainment. Why wouldn't it be? They would be going in with, easily, one of the best defense in the league. They would be getting their #2 QB back and they have one of the best running games in CFB, not to mention a top 10 draft pick at WR. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

How do you know that? You mean like there was no chance FSU was beating UF at UF? Or like FSU was never winning the ACC Championship with a 3rd string QB? 

Let's be real, show me where FSU isn't winning sh*t? Because as far as I know, they didn't lose sh*t 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

like FSU was never winning the ACC Championship with a 3rd string QB? 

The acc championship was scoreless until fsu ran wildcat in the second half 

It was completely unwatchable 

10 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

And I can easily make the argument that FSU making the playoffs would be entertainment. Why wouldn't it be? They would be going in with, easily, one of the best defense in the league.

A team with a great defense and a backup qb? You are aware you're on a Jets board sir 

That's basically been this whole season in a nutshell. It's not been fun to watch 

• Upvote 1

The acc championship was scoreless until fsu ran wildcat in the second half 

It was completely unwatchable 

A team with a great defense and a backup qb? You are aware you're on a Jets board sir 

That's basically been this whole season in a nutshell. It's not been fun to watch 

That's all irrelevant. You can keep saying that until you're blue in the face, but they were undefeated. 

Let's say the Jets are undefeated right now. Would you be saying they shouldn't make the playoffs because they haven't looked as good as the Cowboys have? 

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's entertainment. That's literally the only point 

People make football out to be this important sacred thing. 

If it's not entertaining it's not worth jack 

It’s also about money and NCAA teams don’t have revenue sharing quite like the pros do.  Playoff berths bring programs lots of money.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

strength of schedule is relevant

Strength of record is an even more important factor than strength of schedule. 

Guess who had the #3 strength of record? FSU 

Guess who had the #4 strength of record? Alabama 

Weird.... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

It was terrible 

FSU was running wildcat and wishbone stuff, and it barely worked. Nobody wants to watch that. Can you fault the committee about that? Again, get back to us after Georgia plays FSU in the Orange Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bugg said:

FSU was running wildcat and wishbone stuff, and it barely worked. Nobody wants to watch that. Can you fault the committee about that? Again, get back to us after Georgia plays FSU in the Orange Bowl. 

Neither Georgia nor FSU likely care all that much about that game my man.  

16 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Let's say the Jets are undefeated right now. Would you be saying they shouldn't make the playoffs because they haven't looked as good as the Cowboys have? 

I mean me personally I'd rather see a 2-0 Jets victory than a really good overtime game with other teams but that's because I like the jets. Not everyone does in fact most don't 

If nfl teams could set their own schedule and agreed to this committee setup I would say yes the situation you describe it's tough but fair 

I wouldn't like it as fan of the team and I'd feel sorry for the players but it's a business about making sure people don't turn off the TV 

I'm a cfb true neutral my college is div 3 I just want to see a good game. Maybe some draft picks play well 

From that angle Alabama Michigan is hugely more interesting 

The fsu defense does have a couple of sick edge rushers I'll give them that much. 

End of the day the colleges agreed to this situation just like the NFL teams agree to split the money win or lose. It's about highlights and points. The games should have drama especially at the end of the season. 

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought that the committee chose the best 4 teams. As for politicians threatening threatening to sue over it what a joke. 

What's your definition of "best" team? Does winning games and going undefeated beating multiple top 15 teams and 2 SEC teams, count? What about another team who was on a 20+ win streak and just came off a National Championship but lost the conference championship by 3?

I'm trying to understand the "best" meaning. If you coach your players to win, no matter what, and you win, no matter what, you're not the best? If you never lose one game, you're not the best? 

If all of that is true, every year the committee should look at the rosters at the start of the season and pick the playoffs. Get rid of the entire season because the games are irrelevant, right? 

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

I mean me personally I'd rather see a 2-0 Jets victory than a really good overtime game with other teams but that's because I like the jets. Not everyone does in fact most don't 

If nfl teams could set their own schedule and agreed to this committee setup I would say yes the situation you describe it's tough but fair 

I wouldn't like it as fan of the team and I'd feel sorry for the players but it's a business about making sure people don't turn off the TV 

I'm a cfb true neutral my college is div 3 I just want to see a good game. Maybe some draft picks play well 

From that angle Alabama Michigan is hugely more interesting 

The fsu defense does have a couple of sick edge rushers I'll give them that much. 

End of the day the colleges agreed to this situation just like the NFL teams agree to split the money win or lose. It's about highlights and points. The games should have drama especially at the end of the season. 

While I disagree with this, let's say this is true. Then explain to me why the same committee picked TCU last year? They were 13-2. They had barely beaten Baylor, they had barely beaten Kansas State, and then they lost against Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game. They made the playoffs, beat Michigan and then got walked by Georgia 65-7 in one of the worst National Championship games of all time. 

So if your comments are true, why was TCU in it last year? How do you put TCU in it last year but not an undefeated FSU team with a conference championship? 

It was not about entertainment. It was about the fact that the committee was faced with a decision to leave the SEC out of the playoffs and there was no way they were doing that. ESPN is on the teet of the SEC. There was no chance they were leaving them out. 

12 hours ago, Bugg said:

Michigan beat Ohio State, and there's nobody in the ACC on FSU's schedule that could point to that's that good. Understand why FSU is mad, But let's revisit this after FSU plays Georgia in the Orange Bowl. 

FSU beat LSU. And Michigan also cheated. But the media adores them so they get an auto bid. Their schedule was an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

What's your definition of "best" team? Does winning games and going undefeated beating multiple top 15 teams and 2 SEC teams, count? What about another team who was on a 20+ win streak and just came off a National Championship but lost the conference championship by 3?

I'm trying to understand the "best" meaning. If you coach your players to win, no matter what, and you win, no matter what, you're not the best? If you never lose one game, you're not the best? 

If all of that is true, every year the committee should look at the rosters at the start of the season and pick the playoffs. Get rid of the entire season because the games are irrelevant, right? 

I think Alabama is better than FSU. I have no skin in the game not a fan of either school. The committee answered Rick Scott saying they score teams based also on injuries and strength of schedule. But it's subjective and I think they made the right call. And politicians should have nothing to do with this. 

• Upvote 1