Tippmann was as bad Sunday as Becton, Tomlinson or Billy Turner

hmhertz

They are having trouble with the protections.  One reason not to have a rookie C is because they generally call the protections.  Becton is getting beat by speed rushes, but otherwise I think the majority of issues, particularly the jailbreaks, are being confused and mis-identifying the rush.  Good chance that is at least partially on Tippman and partially on the constantly changing cast of characters.

• Upvote 1

So.....what should Zach Wilson get for his olineman as presents this year?

I still recall being about as mad as I have even been at a set of olineman when Darnold got them all personalized BBQ's and BBQ equipment and the razed him for it.  The same lousy aholes who got him killed on a weekly basis.

19 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Bad take. Up until last week, he was a top 10 rated center in the NFL with only 1 sack allowed and 11 pressures. Plus he played out of position at RG for 4 games. Considering the amount of instability the offensive line has had, there is no way he could mesh with anyone. He is just as tall and gawky as Ragnow and Connor Williams, and they are the top rated centers in the league, as of now. 

You cannot judge Tippmann on Sunday. It was an offensive line disaster of epic proportions. He had one bad game. He is a rookie. Putting him in with failures like Becton, Tomlinson, and Turner, isn't fair to the kid. 

GIF by splattest

On 12/19/2023 at 1:29 PM, Greensleeves said:

The Oline is not an individual thing - they need to play together and communicate. If it all breaks down they all look bad. We need a new coach. Everyone thinks just adding new players will help - gotta draft first round for sure, etc., etc. Well, pretty much every player on our line was picked in the first round aside from Tippman (high 2nd) and whatever right tackle we've had. Stop with the high picks and get some proven vets and a good coach. If we are really high on the board the pick of a smart franchise is QB. We don't have any future plan, like GB did when they picked Rodgers. I hope we can sign a FA tackle, guard and #2 WR. Take another OL with the 3rd pick, 4th pick whatever. 

Right.  And they get that communication by playing together and understanding their roles.  If tipp looked bad it was probably caused by Tomlinson and becton looking and playing even worse.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:34 PM, #27TheDominator said:

They are having trouble with the protections.  One reason not to have a rookie C is because they generally call the protections.  Becton is getting beat by speed rushes, but otherwise I think the majority of issues, particularly the jailbreaks, are being confused and mis-identifying the rush.  Good chance that is at least partially on Tippman and partially on the constantly changing cast of characters.

Wasn’t there grumbling about this during camp that he was having trouble with the protection calls?

On 12/19/2023 at 5:53 PM, Beerfish said:

So.....what should Zach Wilson get for his olineman as presents this year?

I still recall being about as mad as I have even been at a set of olineman when Darnold got them all personalized BBQ's and BBQ equipment and the razed him for it.  The same lousy aholes who got him killed on a weekly basis.

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wasn’t there grumbling about this during camp that he was having trouble with the protection calls?

there's something to be said for the QB being bad affecting the OL performance

remember Peyton Manning's line in Indy? People said wow they were amazing 

When Peyton left it turned out to be a total rebuild, Jeff Saturday and 4 goatherders. 

not that the Jets OL is any good (it's not) but when the QB isn't calling the right protection, isn't finding the hot routes (that's on the WR/TE too) and breaks the pocket in weird ways it's easy to blame the OL 

the other DC smells blood and sends pressure. They have no run game because no one fears the pass. 

really, like everything else, this is Zach's fault. The "OL is terrible" is propaganda straight out of Salt Lake City. 

Yeah it's terrible. But when your 2 overall pick QB isn't playing at an NFL level most of the time it's nearly impossible to have good OL play 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's something to be said for the QB being bad affecting the OL performance

remember Peyton Manning's line in Indy? People said wow they were amazing 

When Peyton left it turned out to be a total rebuild, Jeff Saturday and 4 goatherders. 

not that the Jets OL is any good (it's not) but when the QB isn't calling the right protection, isn't finding the hot routes (that's on the WR/TE too) and breaks the pocket in weird ways it's easy to blame the OL 

the other DC smells blood and sends pressure. They have no run game because no one fears the pass. 

really, like everything else, this is Zach's fault. The "OL is terrible" is propaganda straight out of Salt Lake City. 

Yeah it's terrible. But when your 2 overall pick QB isn't playing at an NFL level most of the time it's nearly impossible to have good OL play 

But the point is that it seems here like tippmann is calling protections and not correctly 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

But the point is that it seems here like tippmann is calling protections and not correctly 

thats not surprising he's 21 not like John Michael Schmitz who's 24 

Tippmann is a great athlete but raw as a pro - he was always a developmental pick hence the CmG resigning 

in the end it's on the QB to call everything - Zach is to blame here as well

the highlights are Zach took big hits but really he doesn't understand the blocking calls either and is playing hero ball (his default) 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tippmann is a great athlete but raw as a pro - he was always a developmental pick hence the CmG resigning 

the highlights are Zach took big hits but really he doesn't understand the blocking calls either and is playing hero ball (his default) 

Oh I agree Zach has made many mistakes , I’ve seen him check to a run into numbers lol but it’s just like a perfect storm, a center and a QB that don’t know what to do.  

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh I agree Zach has made many mistakes , I’ve seen him check to a run into numbers lol but it’s just like a perfect storm, a center and a QB that don’t know what to do.  

i think they knew Tippmann wasn't ready that's why they signed McGovern 

but once Rodgers went down it became extended preseason at alot of offensive positions 

right guard is like a free audition spot at this point 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Also why tippman came in and played well at G b/c he just had to play football and not be the qb of the offense

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1