2024-Restructurings and Cuts

varjet

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I can tell you that absolutely. The Bills current GM was an intern in our office. I hired his sister. He, IMO, is pretty smart. Marty Hurney, former GM of the Panthers was a member of my golf club.  I have met people in my business career that I believe would make sounder decisions than JD.

Look at the guys in the Front Office of the Eagles.  One of their former members is leading the Browns to the playoffs, notwithstanding the Deshaun Watson contract that was undoubtedly the owners doing.  He is another one.  

The Eagles do not employ knucklehead former players.  They employ people who went to Wharton (Kevin Stefanski went to Wharton and played football).   I have no doubt that the future front office of the Commanders will be populated with people from the Eagles.  

The Eagles unloaded JD on us after he drafted Andre Dillard.  

• Haha 1

AVT was traded for, and drafted where he was, to be a LG instead of Joe Thuney. 

The Jets should start training camp trying to find a RG to fill that slot competently.  Those are typically 4th round or lower picks.  AVT will look to go back to LG where he belongs.  JD signing LT for all of that money to replace AVT who played well there was absolutely moronic.  

Sign if CMG will sign again cheap.  He can backup at C-Tippman moves to LG when AVT gets hurt.  

Just now, Beerfish said:

He will be joining John Idzik and Mike McCaganan in the ex jets gm lounge with the worst winning % of the three.

Next year says otherwise. Defense is loaded. They have all off-season to fix the offensive line and then let Aaron Rodgers light it up.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Next year says otherwise. Defense is loaded. They have all off-season to fix the offensive line and then let Aaron Rodgers light it up.

I could see it happening but this whole "next year" thing is getting a bit tiresome.  This year was supposed to be "next year".

sigh

20 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Still can’t get over keeping Lawson even at a reduced rate and Duane Brown.   That’s $17-$18 million for players who literally contributed zero for an entire season.  Hard to understand what we were thinking on these two. 

Lawson was an obvious horrible signing.  Duane Brown was very good last year, and this year he turned into dust.  I can't fault JD for Duane Brown, even though he fell apart this year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Save money or just kick the can down the road?  Mosley already has an egregious cap hit this year becasue of previous restructuring no?

About two years from now we will have to pay the young stars and the Rodgers cap killing numbers appear and we are kicking money down the road?

I pity the GM who takes over from Douglas in a year or two

A Mosley restructure would give you a dead cap hit of $8m in 2025 instead of $10m in 2024. I wouldn't necessarily be against Mosley here for the 2 years Rodgers plans to be here but it's more of a year by year basis. He has no more guaranteed money so depending what he thinks he can get on the market it could be an outright pay cut in order to lock in guaranteed money.

I'm not saying it's the best option but a GM with his back against the wall likely doesn't care about 2025 and beyond.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, varjet said:

Look at the guys in the Front Office of the Eagles.  One of their former members is leading the Browns to the playoffs, notwithstanding the Deshaun Watson contract that was undoubtedly the owners doing.  He is another one.  

The Eagles do not employ knucklehead former players.  They employ people who went to Wharton (Kevin Stefanski went to Wharton and played football).   I have no doubt that the future front office of the Commanders will be populated with people from the Eagles.  

The Eagles unloaded JD on us after he drafted Andre Dillard.  

I worked at PWC with MANY MANY talented people. CEO of Delta, Calvin Klein, Oakley. They all would have done as you described.   They are a breed above. Make decisions mathematically.  NONE would have drafted Becton.  

On 12/27/2023 at 11:14 AM, varjet said:

The Mims/Becton picks were the right picks according to the magazines that the Jets' scouts use to do their jobs.  

If the scouts/JD did their jobs like the good drafting teams (e.g. Eagles), they would have realized that Mims and Becton were flakes and would not work out.

Remember Mims' phone call video when he got drafted?  Was I the only one who realized he would be a bust after that?

Complete BS.

Becton was highly touted, and this whole message board blew a load when Mims fell to us in the draft.  And yes, you were the only one in North America who thought Mims was a bust.  That is some top-notch prognostication skills.  I guess we can now figure out football players will suck in the NFL by how they react to getting drafted.

I get it: Everybody wants every draft pick to work out.  Reality says otherwise.  
And that was not the point of my comment.  The poster I quoted said JD's drafts have been all crap.  That simply is not true.  

So, I guess it's time to jump on the bandwagon early for the firing of the GM who replaces JD.  REALLY get the SOJF mojo rolling!