2024 Starting Left Tackle - What Can We Do?

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Nijman can play both sides in case of Bakhtiari injury

Yosh Nijman is a logical FA answer for the NYJ

Nijman is the guy who played when Bakhtiari got hurt.

Pros he's young, durable, knows the Hackett system and relatively good in pass protection

cons he's not a mauler, He's not a game changer, no pro bowl upside - a C+ or B type of starter - i don't know what that costs but average left tackle play has value in the league like Donovan Smith 

• Upvote 1

Which would you prefer:

A)

LT: Bakhtiari; Warren

LG: Tomlinson; 3rd or 4th rounder

C : Tippmann; McGovern

RG: AVT; Schweitzer

RT: Becton; Mitchell

10th overall:  Odunze or Bowers (cheap-ish route, can probably retain Huff)

B )

LT: Bakhtiari OR Becton; Warren

RT:  Latham or Fuaga(10th overall); Mitchell

WR:  Higgins or Evans for $20M+ (probably no Huff)

C) 

LT:  Bakhtiari or Becton; Warren

LG:  Tomlinson; 3rd or 4th rounder

C : McGovern; 3rd or 4th rounder

RG:  Tippmann; Schweitzer

RT:  AVT; Mitchell

10th overall:  Odunze or Bowers  (cheapest route - should 100% be able to afford Huff)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I don't know about that. I can't see 9 offensive guys going in the first 9 picks. 

Chargers can use defense. They are over the cap and are probably going to either have to restructure some deals (Mack) and let guys go.

Cardinals. Need alot. WR, OL, Defense. So they could trade down and get alot of picks

With 3 or 4 OT tackles that could go in the first round I think one will be there when they pick

there are 2 first round LT's which are highly likely to be gone by 10. The rest of the first round projected tackles are right tackles or worse, guards. we're talking about left tackle.

1 minute ago, derp said:

I don't disagree, but I don't think Douglas has made good decisions and I don't expect that to change.

I'd disagree with you, or say something mean or snarky.

But I have nothing.   4 years under his watch, the Jets have a promising rookie center, no tackles, the most over paid guard in the league, and a decent young guard coming off his 2nd major surgery.  They also have tons of leftover cap space for the next few seasons going to O Linemen no longer on the team.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh talked today about the importance of giving AVT one position to play and not moving him. 

My best guess is that he locks down one of the tackle spots next year. My guess would be that is RT, but it could be LT. 

That's a terrible guess

• Haha 1

Free agency is a foolish way to approach it.

There's no one in development on the roster that can do it.

They suck at identifying talent in the draft, and blew their shot at the can't-miss guys. Should have tanked.

Face it. They're screwed. Next year is going to suck again. Only 363 more days until Black Monday '25 when Woody fires JD and Saleh and replaces them with the next unproven defensive guys of the month. 

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Free agency is a foolish way to approach it.

There's no one in development on the roster that can do it.

They suck at identifying talent in the draft, and blew their shot at the can't-miss guys. Should have tanked.

Face it. They're screwed. Next year is going to suck again. Only 363 more days until Black Monday '25 when Woody fires JD and Saleh and replaces them with the next unproven defensive guys of the month. 

Carter Warren is a developmental guy they may be able to put there. I don't know. Can't say I feel great about that.

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

AVT is a guard. Period.

But, he's not just a guard. Part of the reason the Jets liked him so much coming out of college was his versatility. 

I happen to agree that his best position is guard, but the Jets clearly feel he can play tackle at a high level. 

Don't shoot the messenger, but Saleh was talking right before his injury about making him a full time RT. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

why? He has played both guard and tackle at a high level in college and the NFL. He's only a guard because you said so?

He doesn't play tackle at a high level. He's adequate. He's a much better guard than he is a tackle. You play your best players at their best positions. Period.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

But, he's not just a guard. Part of the reason the Jets liked him so much coming out of college was his versatility. 

I happen to agree that his best position is guard, but the Jets clearly feel he can play tackle at a high level. 

Don't shoot the messenger, but Saleh was talking right before his injury about making him a full time RT. 

Saleh is an idiot

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Which would you prefer:

A)

LT: Bakhtiari; Warren

RT: Becton; Mitchell

10th overall:  Odunze or Bowers (cheap-ish route, can probably retain Huff)

B )

LT: Bakhtiari OR Becton; Warren

RT:  Latham or Fuaga(10th overall); Mitchell

WR:  Higgins or Evans for $20M+ (probably no Huff)

C) 

LT:  Bakhtiari or Becton; Warren

LG:  Tomlinson; 3rd or 4th rounder

C : McGovern; 3rd or 4th rounder

RG:  Tippmann; Schweitzer

RT:  AVT; Mitchell

10th overall:  Odunze or Bowers  (cheapest route - should 100% be able to afford Huff)

I want nothing to do with Bakhtiari 

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

those are right tackles at best (maybe G), not left tackles. We're talking about left tackle.

Go read some scouting reports about these guys and get back to me. But even if you consider them "only" RTs (which they're not), we just so happen to need a RT as well. 

By the way,  wirfs was a RT coming out as well. By your logic, you were happy to pass on him and pick Becton. 

How about we just start picking talented, durable guys along the oline to start?

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It’s not ideal, but either Smith or Bakhtiari are the best options.

If they’re healthy, they’re still two of the best LT’s in football. Problem is they’re hardly ever healthy.

And I’d rather roll with Warren over paying Jonah Williams $12+ million a year just to inevitably suck.

Honestly, I think the Jets are going to keep AVT at RT, bring in a stopgap veteran LT and maybe add a free agent guard like Runyan or Zeitler.

With the Jets picking at #10, going with one of the offensive skill players like Bowers, Odunze, Nabers or Coleman seems like the best bet.

The OL doesn’t need to be dominant. It just needs to be middle of the road and not get Rodgers killed.

blue velvet GIF

44 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Go read some scouting reports about these guys and get back to me. But even if you consider them "only" RTs (which they're not), we just so happen to need a RT as well. 

By the way,  wirfs was a RT coming out as well. By your logic, you were happy to pass on him and pick Becton. 

How about we just start picking talented, durable guys along the oline to start?

Wirfs played RT until his 4th season. I hate the idea of taking a guy who played RT in college and throwing him at LT as a rookie in the NFL to protect 40 year old Aaron Rodgers blind side. It's a really bad idea. Like, terribly bad.

Several of them are being projected to move inside to guard by people who know their sh*t 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wirfs played RT until his 4th season. I hate the idea of taking a guy who played RT in college and throwing him at LT as a rookie in the NFL to protect 40 year old Aaron Rodgers blind side. It's a really bad idea. Like, terribly bad.

Several of them are being projected to move inside to guard by people who know their sh*t 

Terribly bad for me is not taking an OT rd 1 when there are several legit prospects and 1 will be available to us at 10. Terrible would be relying on oft injured guys (Becton, bhaktiari, smith) or bum free agents. You have to continue to infuse young talent. If it's me, I'm using 3 picks on the oline this draft and I'm not worrying about BPA. 

9 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Terribly bad for me is not taking an OT rd 1 when there are several legit prospects and 1 will be available to us at 10. Terrible would be relying on oft injured guys (Becton, bhaktiari, smith) or bum free agents. You have to continue to infuse young talent. If it's me, I'm using 3 picks on the oline this draft and I'm not worrying about BPA. 

This thread is specifically about the left tackle position for 2024. The right tackle and guard prospects are irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s obviously going to be Bahktiari

Yep…. Healing on IR (& GB’s coin) to get ready for the NY Packers reveal in March! If nothing else, AR is revered by almost all he has played with. It’s Favre-esque really.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This thread is specifically about the left tackle position for 2024. The right tackle and guard prospects are irrelevant.

If you refuse to play any prospect not named alt or fasanu at LT (which I don't agree with), then go pay trent brown and bring in a developmental rookie in round 3 or 4 behind him. I'd still draft a guy in the 1st to play RT.

Yes, I know brown has his issues but I actually see him as less an injury risk than smith and bhaktiari. At least he played a full season a couple years ago.

The other answer is we have no clue right now who else will become available either via trade or FA. I think some combo of reasonable vet + developmental later round rookie would be only other option.